Warning!!! Non football thread (but pertinent to the board)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tone.

It has to with how things are said, not necessarily what is said.

Improper tone can be tiresome at best, confrontational at worst.

It's the one thing that gets under my craw more than anything else on the board. I'm fine with someone having the exact opposite opinion as me. How you express that opinion makes all the difference in the world.

It's subtle but it's blatant and I've been guilty of using it in the past myself. I challenge myself and the rest of the board membership to try to discuss and debate w/o using it.

I just don't want to see this board, which I really like, to go the way of every other GT football message board in existence.

Actually, I think sarcasm has it's place as long as it's not used in a condescending way. It can be very funny. Again, I'm as guilty as any in this regard.

Tone.

It's the one thing that gets under my craw more than anything else on the board. I'm fine with someone having the exact opposite opinion as me. How you express that opinion makes all the difference in the world.

It's subtle but it's blatant and I've been guilty of using it in the past myself. I challenge myself and the rest of the board membership to try to discuss and debate w/o using it.

I just don't want to see this board, which I really like, to go the way of every other GT football message board in existence.

Actually, I think sarcasm has it's place as long as it's not used in a condescending way. It can be very funny. Again, I'm as guilty as any in this regard.

From reading your comments above it seems to me that you want to create an environment where a person can be as "wrong as the day is long", yet you want them to be let down easy when others prove that person wrong.

I hate to say it, but Ma Tech just didn't train us that way.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
From reading your comments above it seems to me that you want to create an environment where a person can be as "wrong as the day is long", yet you want them to be let down easy when others prove that person wrong.
I've seen situations where people who thought others were "wrong as the day is long" were in fact wrong themselves but would never admit it. There are also people here that think they have all the answers and would never be swayed by another person. Maybe it's an ego thing.

I hate to say it, but Ma Tech just didn't train us that way.
If an actual Tech grad hasn't learned anything since their time at Tech, I'd say they have a whole another set of problems.

re:
You can attract more bees (or Yellow Jackets?) with honey than vinegar.

------------------------------------------------

I thought Yellow Jackets were attracted to garbage and unattended soda cans?

I've seen situations where people who thought others were "wrong as the day is long" were in fact wrong themselves but would never admit it. There are also people here that think they have all the answers and would never be swayed by another person. Maybe it's an ego thing.

If an actual Tech grad hasn't learned anything since their time at Tech, I'd say they have a whole another set of problems.

None of the GT alums I worked for let folks down easy, they were much more demanding than Bosses I had that graduated from other schools.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
re:
You can attract more bees (or Yellow Jackets?) with honey than vinegar.

------------------------------------------------

I thought Yellow Jackets were attracted to garbage and unattended soda cans?
This is an example of a troll post.

None of the GT alums I worked for let folks down easy, they were much more demanding than Bosses I had that graduated from other schools.
Once you realize there are others with different experiences than you, you may be more willing to at least understand other people's viewpoints even if you still disagree with them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No, not at all. I want an environment where people can discuss their views intelligently, passionately, reasonably and respectfully. Above all else the latter.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Tone.

I appreciate this DCS. I think you make all good points. Its easy to get enthralled in a heated debate and lose sight of the fact that not all are going to see eye to eye on topics no matter how long you debate it. You can't make someone think just like you. Its also easy as well to misinterpret a post as negative or trollish when they were truly not trying to do that. People and what they say can be better understood face to face as opposed to posts on a forum. These misunderstandings happen all the time.

I agree with you. Tone is vital.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have only been reading this board about a month, but one thing I picked up on immediately is that there is a heckuva lot less of this than on the Hive or Stingtalk. I have often thought of the same point as dressedcheese but never expressed it. You can disagree with people in a civil and polite manner. But so many on those boards don't. And once someone has raised your own hackles, it's easy to get drawn in and respond the same way. On at least one occasion when people were bickering, a moderator stepped in and I was happy to see that.

How about: "well, I see your point, but I think it's more the case that..." instead of "you are a delusional fool. This is what's really going on."

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
dressedcheese: I agree that there are some personal attacks against a person because of their views, and it should not be. However, I think some are unduly defensive because someone disagrees with the philosophy they have posted. When I disagree with a person, it is the philosophy I am debating, not the character of the poster, but they sometimes think the disagreement is against them personally. In fact, my wife becomes defensive if I ever say anything that is opposite her stance. I have a grandson who is the same (takes after his Granny).

Over the years, I have tried to evaluate this action, and the best reason I see for this action, is that those people who are defensive have some type of complex and take it as an attack against them; they cannot stand for their view to be called into question. I try to be careful of this on the board, but sometimes it can't be helped. When I or others are completely opposite a view in a debate, we might call the view BS, but that is not a slap at the poster, it means we feel strongly against that view and show it by our statement.

I doubt if some on the board will ever be able to curb that defensive attitude about it calling their character into question. I have been married to my wife for 53 years, and she hasn't changed a bit about being defensive when her view is called into question.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
dressedcheese: I agree that there are some personal attacks against a person because of their views, and it should not be. However, I think some are unduly defensive because someone disagrees with the philosophy they have posted. When I disagree with a person, it is the philosophy I am debating, not the character of the poster, but they sometimes think the disagreement is against them personally. In fact, my wife becomes defensive if I ever say anything that is opposite her stance. I have a grandson who is the same (takes after his Granny).

Over the years, I have tried to evaluate this action, and the best reason I see for this action, is that those people who are defensive have some type of complex and take it as an attack against them; they cannot stand for their view to be called into question. I try to be careful of this on the board, but sometimes it can't be helped. When I or others are completely opposite a view in a debate, we might call the view BS, but that is not a slap at the poster, it means we feel strongly against that view and show it by our statement.

I doubt if some on the board will ever be able to curb that defensive attitude about it calling their character into question. I have been married to my wife for 53 years, and she hasn't changed a bit about being defensive when her view is called into question.
I agree that there are some who are overly defensive but it is oh so easy to disagree w/o being a ******* about it. Why even go there? All one has to do is say "I disagree and this is why...." It's not that hard.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
you have to think that the hive and stingtalk started out good and spiraled downhill out of control at some point. stingtalk was a breath of fresh air compared to the hive and good for a long time but now it's crap too.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
For me, it boils down to whether the person writing is being respectful of not just who they are addressing, but the overall community at large. Those who give respect receive it in turn.

For those who find themselves easily inflamed, may I also suggest that you click on the profiles of those sources of irritation and select the "Ignore" option.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of tone, when people can carpet bomb a thread by expressing an opinion over and over without giving their reasons or defending their reasons, then it is what it is.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
AE 87: I have responded to your view earlier. My statement remains the same. Each person on this board has an opinion, and they do not have to back it up with data if they do not want to do so. It is their perogative to just give their opinion and leave it at that.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
When I disagree with a person, it is the philosophy I am debating, not the character of the poster, but they sometimes think the disagreement is against them personally.

And when those folks vehemently disagree with you, it's this philosophy of yours that they are disagreeing with. Which philosophy? The philosophy that their views are different from their character. ;)

Just had to get that in there.