WarDamn TigerEagles

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Any word on when Parr will return? I believe the rotation is set now with Shadday on Sunday and Ben S during the midweek, but Parr would make a huge addition to the pen (which is where he seemingly pitches better anyways) and give us much needed depth.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good guys fall 7-4, but I was encouraged by the pitching other than Datoc (who struggled mightily today). I was impressed by Ben S again who gave up 2 earned runs (a third scored on an error) and had 5 strikeouts in 4 innings. I'll take starts like that from him for the rest of the year.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am extremely disappointed with the team. As good as S. pitched, he started off the 4th with back to back walks. Murray had a bad game at the plate and in the field. Our batters are swinging for the fences and flying out too much. They need to become aware of what the situation demands in each at bat. Many times it is to move up the runner, or just do anything to get on base, not always go for the long ball. The lack of pitching is our downfall. Gooden and Gibson are the guys who should be contributing, but giving us nothing.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am extremely disappointed with the team. As good as S. pitched, he started off the 4th with back to back walks. Murray had a bad game at the plate and in the field. Our batters are swinging for the fences and flying out too much. They need to become aware of what the situation demands in each at bat. Many times it is to move up the runner, or just do anything to get on base, not always go for the long ball. The lack of pitching is our downfall. Gooden and Gibson are the guys who should be contributing, but giving us nothing.
Well said. I did not see any of the game last night. However... the situational hitting comments are dead on based on how the UNC series played out. It is so important to be able to move runners into scoring position. ....& when you have guys in scoring position...somehow find a way to get them home. We certainly have the talent to do that.

Deleted member 2897

The lack of pitching is our downfall.

We are 1-5 when we give up 2 or more errors. 11-2 when we don't. Last night was just our 2nd loss of the entire 19 game season not contributed to mightily by errors. While our pitching isn't perfect, I actually think we're not that bad there. Look at the ERAs up and down the roster (we only have 2 guys with an ERA over 4.50 who have pitched at least 2 innings). If you're giving up ~5 runs a game at the college level, those are all winnable. Plus, Auburn had just swept a world class Florida team, which is just crazy to have done. If we're going to make some hay this year, we've got to take the bottom half of the league and go 2-1 and 3-0 in most of those series. It seems to me on first blush our offense and defense, while not perfect, are both good enough to win a lot of games this year.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are 1-5 when we give up 2 or more errors. 11-2 when we don't. Last night was just our 2nd loss of the entire 19 game season not contributed to mightily by errors. While our pitching isn't perfect, I actually think we're not that bad there. Look at the ERAs up and down the roster (we only have 2 guys with an ERA over 4.50 who have pitched at least 2 innings). If you're giving up ~5 runs a game at the college level, those are all winnable. Plus, Auburn had just swept a world class Florida team, which is just crazy to have done. If we're going to make some hay this year, we've got to take the bottom half of the league and go 2-1 and 3-0 in most of those series. It seems to me on first blush our offense and defense, while not perfect, are both good enough to win a lot of games this year.

We're 12th of 14 in the ACC in team ERA. 11th in walks per inning. 11th in batting average against. 14th (last) in HBP per inning. Last in hits per inning.

I'm not sure our pitching is average by any metric.

Deleted member 2897

We're 12th of 14 in the ACC in team ERA. 11th in walks per inning. 11th in batting average against. 14th (last) in HBP per inning. Last in hits per inning.

I'm not sure our pitching is average by any metric.

That's not what I said. We have a couple folks with terrible ERAs. But the vast majority of our pitching seems fine. Those couple folks ruin our average. Furthermore, we are 11-2 when we have 1 or fewer errors. Gibson and Lee for example have half of our losses, and a combined ERA of 12.50 on 17 innings of pitching. Go check out: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html - I'm not going to take the time to run the numbers of what we're ranked without those 2, but the pitching is listed by starters/ERA and you can see for yourself we have tons and tons of good pitching.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I seriously wonder how much our coaches are doing to try and help the pitchers. Same story, different year---so many of our pitchers don't get significantly better over their careers here. It's disappointing to watch these kids who obviously have talent go out there and struggle with control over and over. With all the technology now, they should be watching video nonstop with coaches to get better...I've got a feeling that never happens. I know for a fact it didn't when Kinkelaar was there; doubt it's changed.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If we had tons of good pitching, we would not have used Gibson and Lee.

+1

I was going to post something like this. It doesn't make sense to say that our pitching is 'good', except for the guys who have to pitch 10% of our innings. Someone has to throw those pitches, and the guys we have in that role aren't getting the job done so far.