Waller and Henry suspended for week 1

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
From Dean Buchan:
EVEN MORE THIN AT WIDE RECEIVER
Wide receivers Darren Waller and Travin Henry will both serve one-game suspensions for violating team rules, head coach Paul Johnson announced tonight. Coupled with an earlier injury to Anthony Autry, that when Tech lines up against Elon on Saturday, no Yellow Jacket WR will enter the game with a career reception. In fact, it’s quite possible that the two starters could be making their college football debut – r-Fr. Micheal Summers and former baseball player DeAndre Smelter. Junior Corey Dennis is also a possible starter.

Was wondering why the latest depth chart had Smelter as #2 WR:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20130529aaa.pdf

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Smh. Only opens up the door more for Smelter, Dennis, and Summers to snatch up those starting spots (although it seems that Summers already had one of the starting spots). Here's hoping that those 3 take this opportunity and do some good things this coming Saturday.

Its more of a setback for Henry since he doesn't have any game-reps. At least Waller has game reps.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to see Waller and Henry come back and play strong for Duke. I am however always pulling for the underdog and want to see Jamie have one hell of a game against Elon!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there's an easier way to fall down the depth chart than allowing your competition to have a breakout game by not being able to play for something stupid. What if Smelter and Summers have 100+ yard games against Elon (which isn't out of the question?) Does Waller keep his starting spot?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think there's an easier way to fall down the depth chart than allowing your competition to have a breakout game by not being able to play for something stupid. What if Smelter and Summers have 100+ yard games against Elon (which isn't out of the question?) Does Waller keep his starting spot?
Has anyone besides Bebe and Hill done a 100 yard receiving receiving game? How many times each?

Looked Hill up, had nearly 200 yards against West Carolina. 3 100+ yard games in 2012.

Last edited:

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Then its a negative. I believe that Bebe, Hill, Peeples and Smith are the only ones with 100+ yds receiving. Jeff Greene came within 6 yards of joining that club when he went 3 rec 94 yards against Presbyterian.
so I think if one of our WRs got 100+ yards, it would probably mean he stepped up and we trusted him quite a bit to get 100+. Let's see what happens.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
so I think if one of our WRs got 100+ yards, it would probably mean he stepped up and we trusted him quite a bit to get 100+. Let's see what happens.

None of our WRs has ever had a passing QB throwing them the ball either, and while I believe CPJ will keep the play calling pretty conservative you have to believe our QB group will air it out a little more. Also with the way our receivers get yards 2 WRs could be over 100 yards on 4 passing plays. Either way Waller is leaving the door open to lose his starting spot

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
My new prediction.. Smelter or Summers will join that list after the Elon game. One of them will have 100 yards...

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm honestly surprised we don't have more players with 100 yards receiving. The way our offense works, you need about 3 or 4 catches to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if our first offensive play was Vad-Smelter for a ~70 yard touchdown. Book it.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm honestly surprised we don't have more players with 100 yards receiving. The way our offense works, you need about 3 or 4 catches to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if our first offensive play was Vad-Smelter for a ~70 yard touchdown. Book it.
I would be since Smelter is not starting and will come on later.