Wake Up Call

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Well guys I have been trying to find the positive in our predicament. Here is my optimistic 2 cents...

We win Saturday and we a ACC Championship bound. What!?!? You ask....

Va Tech imo is going to lose 2 games minimum.

We win Saturday and take out Virginia in Charlottesville (yes I know the history playing up there) and we are ACC CG bound.

Saturday at Miami is PIVOTAL.

Va Tech was our Wake the hell up game. We are better team than that.

Again Saturday at Miami is PIVOTAL.

And I feel the result catapults us in 1 of 2 directions.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Excellent post and very much on point. As I commented earlier the season going to play out in one fashion or the other. Should it go like we all hope CPJ will go into the '14 season in good shape. Should it go to the worst case CPJ job security will be tenuous, at best. Middle of road result (7-5, 4-4 in ACC play) then CPJ is fighting for his job in '14.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well guys I have been trying to find the positive in our predicament. Here is my optimistic 2 cents...

We win Saturday and we a ACC Championship bound. What!?!? You ask....

Va Tech imo is going to lose 2 games minimum.

We win Saturday and take out Virginia in Charlottesville (yes I know the history playing up there) and we are ACC CG bound.

Saturday at Miami is PIVOTAL.

Va Tech was our Wake the hell up game. We are better team than that.

Again Saturday at Miami is PIVOTAL.

And I feel the result catapults us in 1 of 2 directions.

I agree we can get right back on track Saturday, but it looks like you forgot about @ Clemson.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
It's tough that we always have to play Clemson, but if we can win the division with them on our schedule then we've earned it.

The good news for us is that Boston College looks improved this year and should give VPI a fight at home.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I agree we can get right back on track Saturday, but it looks like you forgot about @ Clemson.

I forgot Pitt. We can still lose to Clemson and win our division. Not saying I think we lose. Just saying if we beat Miami Saturday and finish off UVA and PITT then we take the division because I truly believe VT gets two Loses in coastal.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot Pitt. We can still lose to Clemson and win our division. Not saying I think we lose. Just saying if we beat Miami Saturday and finish off UVA and PITT then we take the division because I truly believe VT gets two Loses in coastal.

It doesn't matter which division ACC losses come from. If we lose to Clemson, then we have two ACC losses. In that scenario because we lost the head-to-head with VT we'd either need VT to lose 3 ACC games or look for a 3-way tie with another team.

Not trying to be doom and gloom here. I think all remaining ACC games are winnable for us, but it's unlikely we win out unless we hit another gear that we haven't yet seen.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
If we only lose to Climpsom, we would need VT to lose to miami (and miami with a 2nd acc loss) and we have a three-way for first. Who wins? :shrug:

For outright first, if we only lose to climp on remaining ACC sched, we need VT to lose 3 ACC games and finish 5-3 in the ACC AND we need miami to lose 1 more and finish 6-2 with us owning the heads-up tie-breaker. :wideyed:

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter which division ACC losses come from.

Oh my bad Cuse. I was under the impression that the cross divisional game did not count against us in case of a tie-breaker scenario. In that case, you are correct and VT would need to lose 3, which imo I can see happening. Either way ACCCG bound or not, Saturday at Miami is huge. It is a what Eric said above and imo I agree with him it could determine the remainder of our season. I feel the players know inside that the VT game was our Jekyll/Hyde game. And, this Saturday is their "chip on shoulder" game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my bad Cuse. I was under the impression that the cross divisional game did not count against us in case of a tie-breaker scenario. In that case, you are correct and VT would need to lose 3, which imo I can see happening. Either way ACCCG bound or not, Saturday at Miami is huge. It is a what Eric said above and imo I agree with him it could determine the remainder of our season. I feel the players know inside that the VT game was our Jekyll/Hyde game. And, this Saturday is their "chip on shoulder" game.

I agree. Putting ACC championship aspirations aside, before the season started there was conjecture about how long it would take to determine what kind of team we have this year. Well as the season has unfolded it's clear this coming weekend is judgment time. If we beat Miami then I think most will agree we turned a corner (i.e., we don't win this game the last few years). If we lose, it's likely that this year will play out like the last few.