Wake Forest

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The ACC train keeps moving down the track and we need wins. Some thoughts:
1) Last year, we were 2-7 against the Atlantic Div (@FSU, NCST, BC). This year we must improve on that record (@WF, CLEM, @ND). Those three series happen to be in succession over the next 3 weekends. I would like to see 6-3 or better over those 9 games because it's Louisville (brace for impact) at home after that.
2) First things first... win in Winston Salem!!
3) Weather - if forecast doesn't change, Sunday's forecast likely means we'll see Sat turn into a DH. I think I like the idea of us playing 3 in 2 days more than 1 a day... just seems to feel like a slight advantage to our offense.
4) Wake is good. RPI #17. I guess I "hope" that's inflated; and believe 2 or 3 wins for Tech is not out of the question.

Go JACKETS!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
1) Last year, we were 2-7 against the Atlantic Div (@FSU, NCST, BC). This year we must improve on that record (@WF, CLEM, @ND). Those three series happen to be in succession over the next 3 weekends. I would like to see 6-3 or better over those 9 games because it's Louisville (brace for impact) at home after that.
Ooops. Failed to remember it's 4 Atlantic opponents per season.
CORRECTION:
2016, we were 4-8 against the Atlantic (@FSU, NCST, @CLEM, BC)
2017, we play @WF, CLEM, @ND, LOU.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think the key is for these three starters to at least get thru six innings. Keep away from walks, HBPs, and pitching behind in counts. Also keep away from HRs.

My biggest gripe with pitching as a whole is not throwing strikes. Seems like pitchers are now SO concerned about the hitter putting a bat on the ball all they do is nibble. I've preached until I was blue in the face over the years to trust your stuff, you have 7 teammates behind you and many times the hitter will get himself out! THROW STRIKES :D It's a simple game!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My biggest gripe with pitching as a whole is not throwing strikes. Seems like pitchers are now SO concerned about the hitter putting a bat on the ball all they do is nibble. I've preached until I was blue in the face over the years to trust your stuff, you have 7 teammates behind you and many times the hitter will get himself out! THROW STRIKES :D It's a simple game!
I completely agree with this. I mean for most hitters there is 70-80% chance that they will make an out, but they can't get themselves out if the pitchers doesn't throw strikes.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think the last generation of pitchers have the psyche you can't pitch to contact given what happened when baseball (excluding the pros) went to aluminum and then composite bats. At one time you pitched to the inner half of the plate and cracked/shattered bats. Then those same pitches went for hits after the bat changes. Even at the pro level now you don't see the majority of pitchers come inside because they DON'T know HOW to pitch inside! What is considered an inside pitch now to me is right over the heart of the plate. Batters freak out when a pitcher does, on rare occasion and usually by accident, actually come inside.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly think the last generation of pitchers have the psyche you can't pitch to contact given what happened when baseball (excluding the pros) went to aluminum and then composite bats. At one time you pitched to the inner half of the plate and cracked/shattered bats. Then those same pitches went for hits after the bat changes. Even at the pro level now you don't see the majority of pitchers come inside because they DON'T know HOW to pitch inside! What is considered an inside pitch now to me is right over the heart of the plate. Batters freak out when a pitcher does, on rare occasion and usually by accident, actually come inside.

Based on our HBP stats, I'd say we have no problem pitching inside ;)

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Once in the last week, one of out pitchers threw the ball behind the batter and gave up a run. You could see Bard screaming at the pitcher after he retrieved the wild pitch.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Once in the last week, one of out pitchers threw the ball behind the batter and gave up a run. You could see Bard screaming at the pitcher after he retrieved the wild pitch.

Good for Joey! I would have walked the ball back to my pitcher and kicked him in the a**. Then give him the ball and go back behind the plate :D

Deleted member 2897

We have over 20 games coming up against teams outside the top 50. Wake Forest isn't ranked, but is getting votes. So they are beatable too. These games will be where our season is made. We have to find a way to win at least 1 against all the tough teams and occasionally steal a 2nd win. But against the Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, UIC, Pitt, UGA, Duke's of the world no exceptions - we have to take 2 wins every time and find an occasional 3rd in each series. 2 wins in each of these 7 series = 14 wins. That takes us to 26. We've also got Mercer mixed in there (2) and Georgia State (1) and Georgia Southern (1) - that's another 2 wins minimum. We've gotta then steal 1 win from Clemson, Louisville, and Virginia - 3 more. That takes us to 31 wins. That's kind of a bare minimum - would be nice to sweep the local teams and get closer to 35+ wins. A lot of work to do!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have over 20 games coming up against teams outside the top 50. Wake Forest isn't ranked, but is getting votes. So they are beatable too. These games will be where our season is made. We have to find a way to win at least 1 against all the tough teams and occasionally steal a 2nd win. But against the Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, UIC, Pitt, UGA, Duke's of the world no exceptions - we have to take 2 wins every time and find an occasional 3rd in each series. 2 wins in each of these 7 series = 14 wins. That takes us to 26. We've also got Mercer mixed in there (2) and Georgia State (1) and Georgia Southern (1) - that's another 2 wins minimum. We've gotta then steal 1 win from Clemson, Louisville, and Virginia - 3 more. That takes us to 31 wins. That's kind of a bare minimum - would be nice to sweep the local teams and get closer to 35+ wins. A lot of work to do!
Can't argue with the concept...win the win-able and steal some from superior competition. Easier said than done...the competition is tough. Wake is not ranked in any polls; but their RPI is #11 right now FWIW(?). VT beat FSU 2 out of 3 in Blacksburg (where we must travel to play them). They scored 30 runs on Sat & Sun against FSU...go figure. Duke, ND, & Pitt... we really cannot let them beat us; but we travel to Duke and ND.

We get Clemson, Louisville, & UVA all at home. I REALLY hope we take advantage of that. Frankly, I don't really understand how home field makes such the difference it seems to make in college baseball... but I think statistically, home field IS an advantage.

Road team (ACC) records:
Wk 1: 5-16
Wk 2: 9-12

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to some bad miscues from Wake Forest, GT ties it up in the top of the 9th! Down 6-3, and we tied it up!!!
That's a little understated. We scored 3 runs after 2 out & nobody on.... crazy!

A foul ball... WF catcher let foul pop out of glove. Would have ended game. Poje scores tying run on a wild pitch. Just NUTS!