Wake Forest preparation week.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Before I forget... I highly recommend listening to tonight's CPJ radio show. The link is not up yet. I listened to the first 35 minutes, and imo tonight's was the best radio show of this year and last, regardless of how it finished. I hope the final 25 minutes was just as good. A lot of candor and CPJ hit a plethora of tough questions that we've discussed on here head on without much coach speak.

Before I forget... I highly recommend listening to tonight's CPJ radio show. The link is not up yet. I listened to the first 35 minutes, and imo tonight's was the best radio show of this year and last, regardless of how it finished. I hope the final 25 minutes was just as good. A lot of candor and CPJ hit a plethora of tough questions that we've discussed on here head on without much coach speak.
I agree. Very good show tonight.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A few things from the show:

This was one of the toughest losses of my career. With the Tennessee game, two of the toughest.
The national championship is out of reach, but everything else is still possible. No team has won the division with zero losses.
On the rain -- it did effect play calling at one point. Slipping was an issue. Once TaQuan had a whole side of the field if Parker doesn't slip down. The only guy any where close made the tackle, but if Parker could have kept his feet....Also, A back had a sure first down but slipped and fell.
Do we need to throw it more? Yes, I'd like to throw it more. I want to throw it more, but we are not executing the pass game. We are working on that this week. If I can make a first with three runs and the pass game is not where it should be, I tend to call the three runs.
Red zone offense has been poor. Once we had a good pass play called near the goal line but the receiver didn't run the right route. If something isn't working, it's on me to find something that will. I'm putting in some new stuff in red zone offense this week.
3rd down defense is still pretty darn good. Miami was 2-12.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I was there in person, and you could really see the sincerity (and frustration) in his remark that this was one of the toughest losses he's faced.

He and I have that frustration in common.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
A part of me wants marshall to use his RS this year and come back next year, if only because he can focus on getting his mba too like im sure jordan will be doing. The othe rbit would completely understand if he wanted to start using that degree to earn a living.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought CPJ was great on the call-in show. I thought some of the callers we awful and low class. I thought CPJ handled it well. Much like toward the end of 2015.

I know people are upset cause they still held out hope for a playoff run and now that is gone, but I think this is a good team. I'm excited. The defense is playing better than it ever has under CPJ.

I wanted so bad for someone to ask him to talk about some of the good things our players did, cause there was a heck of a lot. But everyone had to whine and complaint. I wanted to punch some of the guys in the throats towards the end. CPJ held up much better than I would have. We were a hair from beating a very, very talented Miami team and regardless Richt is a good dang coach. I think he is way better than Smart. Way better. Smart just happens to coach when the SEC is not good and the East is horrible.

Anyway I'm encouraged.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Before I forget... I highly recommend listening to tonight's CPJ radio show.

Completely agree. I'll tell you what is very frustrating, though, is listening to caller after caller ask the same thing ... as if they're not even listening to the radio show. And this is going to sound a little mean but I think it's funny when people ask things like, "How come we didn't stop the bubble screen?" and PJ comes back with a very detailed, technical explanation ... and I'm sure the caller and a lot of listeners are going, "What in the heck is sky run support? Does he mean our guys are supposed to look at the skybox for signals from coach Roof?"

There were a couple calls toward the end where they went after BJS and Brad Stewart.

And then asked why we didn’t change offense in order to get Deshaun Watson and Fromm. Lol

Note that PJ didn't answer the question about Stewart - it wasn't worth an answer. I can't believe people can ask these kind of questions.

Line of the night:

Caller: "Is there any way we can adjust our offense a little bit to attract those kids?"
PJ: "We can adjust our offense, can you adjust the school some to attract them?"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree. I'll tell you what is very frustrating, though, is listening to caller after caller ask the same thing ... as if they're not even listening to the radio show. And this is going to sound a little mean but I think it's funny when people ask things like, "How come we didn't stop the bubble screen?" and PJ comes back with a very detailed, technical explanation ... and I'm sure the caller and a lot of listeners are going, "What in the heck is sky run support? Does he mean our guys are supposed to look at the skybox for signals from coach Roof?"

Note that PJ didn't answer the question about Stewart - it wasn't worth an answer. I can't believe people can ask these kind of questions.

Line of the night:

Caller: "Is there any way we can adjust our offense a little bit to attract those kids?"
PJ: "We can adjust our offense, can you adjust the school some to attract them?"

My favorite moment was when Andy's thinking, "OK, he's losing them," and coach say, "I'm not done."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Opening Statement...
“I thought we had a productive bye week. We got a couple of extra practices for Georgia Tech, but more importantly our guys got some down time. It worked out well that our bye week was during fall break. We were able to give the players Thursday, Friday and Saturday off and got them back Sunday. Our coaches got on the road and we were able to watch some high school practices and games. As much as our guys needed a physical break, they needed a mental break. Sometimes I think halfway through, and this is more than halfway in because of camp started in July, it is good to give the players three days off to recharge the batteries as we get ready for the second half of the season.

“We are headed to Atlanta to play a very good Georgia Tech team, who is really two plays away from being undefeated and ranked in the top 10. They are one-play away in the Tennessee game, the two-point conversion, and if Miami doesn’t convert a 4th-and-10, they are 5-0 and people are mentioning them for being a candidate for the playoff. On offense, they are very talented, extremely well coached and know exactly what they are doing. Their quarterback, Marshall, runs this option excellent. His ability to read the dive, the pitch and throw the football. He makes plays and makes people miss. At times a play can be well-defended and he can turn it into something really productive. Their B back is a load, makes people miss and runs over people. Their A backs are fast and good perimeter blocker. This is a very physical offense line. Sometimes this is an offense that you can run with undersized guys, but their offensive linemen would be good in any scheme. They have guys on the perimeter who can make plays in the passing game as well. They are extremely efficient in throwing it, leading the league in passing efficiency, in addition to rolling up around 400 yards a game on the ground.
spacer.gif

“Defensively, they are second in the ACC and are giving up a little over 300 yards per game. That is their style of play. They don’t give up a lot of big plays. They keep things in front of them. What makes them so effective is that they are really, really good on third down. They are the best defense in the ACC on third down. What happens is they have an offense that keeps the ball and they combine it with a defense that gets off the field on third down. So they win the time of possession. This is a game that when you have the ball on offense, you have to make plays and you have to score because you aren’t going to get a lot of possessions. They have pass rushers and it is an older defense. Their top 12 defensive players, seven are seniors and five are juniors. This is an older, experienced defense that knows what they are doing. It will be a great challenge for us, but we are excited to be playing again.”

On Georgia Tech’s triple option offense:
“We’ve played against this style of offense every year. What Coach Johnson does at Georgia Tech is different than what Army does. He’s got his own wrinkles and own mode of attack. Our staff, we have three new defensive coaches. It’s not like you can say ‘hey, we’re going to run our option defense’ because the guys that did that aren’t here any more. You have to mix it up. The challenge of going against these guys is they have so many ways of attack. How do you handle this formation? How do you handle this motion? They’ll try different things and the one thing you aren’t sound against, they’ll run again, and again and again. They’ll bleed you. If you watch the games, as soon as they find something they like that they don’t feel like you have a fundamental, sound answer for, you’re going to see it again and again. Whatever you do to adjust to it, Coach Johnson has an answer. He knows the offense so well. In all of his years in doing it, there’s nothing he hasn’t seen. We’re going to get tested. Again, it’s always a challenge but at the end of the day, every offense has a way they attack you and you have to get off the blocks and make tackles and space. You have to have your eyes in the right place and that’s something you have to do every week.”

On how the Georgia Tech offense attacks certain positions:
“This offense attacks every position. There are plays that certainly attack the linebackers. They have different ways of cutting them, or blocking them, or sealing them, or reading them. You can say that they have a way of reading the three technique or they have a way of reading the five technique. They have a way of trapping the five, a way of loading the five. They switch up their perimeter blocking so at times there are arcing for the safety or at times you’re arcing for the corner at times you’re sealing the linebacker. Then if you get over-aggressive, they have a play action answer. That play action really looks like the run and it’ll be the same blocking pattern. Now it’s a wheel route or a post and if you give those up it’s a touchdown. There’s a lot of run pass dilemmas that they put you in with the course of the backs and the path of the quarter back. They don’t throw it a lot but when they do you’re getting tested and challenged deep. They’ve thrown some more traditional stuff this year. They’ve thrown some quick game and comebacks and things like that. They’re very effective in doing that. It’s hard to protect your corners when you go against an offense like this because you have to get numbers to the run game.”

Redshirt senior linebacker Grant Dawson
On Georgia Tech’s triple option:
“The triple option brings a lot of new challenges. We pretty much run a whole different defense than we do the rest of the year. This bye week we’ve had has helped us prepare for this challenge we’re facing but we’re still going to have to come out on Saturday focused on every single play and play hard. That’s the biggest thing. We have to play hard and tackle well.”

On the timing of the bye week:
“I really thought it was an ideal time. You want the bye week in the middle of the season and we had it exactly in the middle of the season. It was ideally right before Georgia Tech and since they present some new challenges we aren’t used to, it gave us some extra time to prepare for that.”

More quotes and videos here:
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101717aab.html

Line of the night:

Having called in once last year, I can tell you that it is not always possible for the caller to hear what has been said before, because he doesn't get connected immediately. BUT, that is not 100% the case, so it is also entirely possible that they heard the earlier questions and stupidly asked essentially the same thing again.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. I was there in person, and you could really see the sincerity (and frustration) in his remark that this was one of the toughest losses he's faced.

He and I have that frustration in common.

The older I have gotten, the less emotional I am after losses. I haven’t been truly mad about a game in a long time. I was at Mercedes benz for the TN loss and for whatever reason, this Miami loss was way worse and made me really angry and frustrated for the first time in a while.

I would rather lose 30-0 and accept we just aren’t good enough to win a game, but losing games like the Miami game is a very hard pill to swallow. I’m still a little hot about it and it’s been 3 days. I wont lie, I’m a little deflated about the rest of season after last weekend.

I hope we continue to win and don’t spiral down and go like 6-5. But I was pumped thinking about wake forest night game, tailgating etc, but now my excitement is just way down for this weekend.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The older I have gotten, the less emotional I am after losses. I haven’t been truly mad about a game in a long time. I was at Mercedes benz for the TN loss and for whatever reason, this Miami loss was way worse and made me really angry and frustrated for the first time in a while.

I would rather lose 30-0 and accept we just aren’t good enough to win a game, but losing games like the Miami game is a very hard pill to swallow. I’m still a little hot about it and it’s been 3 days. I wont lie, I’m a little deflated about the rest of season after last weekend.

I hope we continue to win and don’t spiral down and go like 6-5. But I was pumped thinking about wake forest night game, tailgating etc, but now my excitement is just way down for this weekend.
It's the ol' reverse cliche of pain: "Snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory." We've done it twice now.