Wake Forest - ACC Weekend #4

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... time to 'get right' (again). Wake is coming off a win over Charlotte mid-week after postponing/canceling several games due to covid protocols. They are 1-4 in the ACC (4 straight losses... 2xND, 2xMiami)

Seems like an opportunity (again) to fix problems and keep a grip on top part of Coastal and ACC overall. Gotta execute!

Same weekend rotation: Hurter, Archer, Crawford

Preview

Game Notes

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hoorah. Last thread I started was for Ga State so I won't do that again anytime soon.

On paper, we should win 2 or 3. I'm confident that if you only count earned runs, we'll sweep. Unfortunately, that isn't how the game is played.

Wake won the opening series against Northeastern and has struggled since. Don't know how to sugar coat it, but they are as bad as any team we have played. They did take one from ND (Saturday high scoring game) who has been doing really well so that could easily happen to us.

First pitch 1800 tomorrow. We'll have a bunch of happy or pissed off people in chat to start the game with us.

1616096154106.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Wake was a daring of at least one of the D1B analysts pre-season. He picked them to get to Omaha. Apparently they had one of their aces go down for the year early though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wake was a daring of at least one of the D1B analysts pre-season. He picked them to get to Omaha. Apparently they had one of their aces go down for the year early though.

Wake is more than one pitcher away from Omaha I think. Anyway, we all make silly prognostications; or at least I do. Maybe we can make them look like an Omaha team, who knows?

I'm just hoping we play good baseball this weekend. Throw strikes, field cleanly, continue to hit well and not do the wild pitch / HBP stuff. Watched VT for an inning Tuesday and it was great to see them walk a batter, pickoff error he went to third and then sac home. Made me feel better about our struggles. Of course Chokies lost. That is the karma of bad baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yeah went back and looked. D1 pre-season Wake was #17.

The Wake blog summarizes the situation: "Wake Baseball 2021 (3-6) | oh no we suck again" Some people not happy with the coach. Sound familiar?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah went back and looked. D1 pre-season Wake was #17.

The Wake blog summarizes the situation: "Wake Baseball 2021 (3-6) | oh no we suck again" Some people not happy with the coach. Sound familiar?
Yeah... the coach who donated one of his kidneys to a player. I'd keep that guy... just on principle.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wake starting pitchers. We should feast at the plate.

Friday Ryan Cusick. Kind of surprised no start since ND. Fleming started Friday against Miami a week ago. Makes me think they were playing for the Sunday COVID delay the whole weekend.
1616161240806.png

Saturday William Fleming. Like his BB to SO ratio.
1616161575353.png

Sunday Rhett Lowder. Their best pitcher. Other than the ND game pretty solid. Definitely the best hair (70's rock star).
1616161930555.png

Attachments

• 1616161501541.png
    1616161501541.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 6

Deleted member 2897

I would not argue with a lopsided start where we get out by like 4-5 runs after a couple innings.

Deleted member 2897

Totally and completely embarrassing. 3 straight series losing the opening game. And now to the worst team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Totally and completely embarrassing. 3 straight series losing the opening game. And now to the worst team.
Wake isn't the worst team. & I think they showed that last night. Solid defense & very good pitching. The better team won.

Ga Tech is not good defensively. Combine that with allowing even more gifted baserunners via walks & hit batsmen... only way to win is score 8 or more runs every game (& that doesn't always work). Just a bad formula for consistent success.

Need improvement... I hold out hope that the team is capable. Frustrating that we've blown such a great 1st two ACC weekends in less than 2 (follow on) weekends.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Wake isn't the worst team. & I think they showed that last night. Solid defense & very good pitching. The better team won.

Ga Tech is not good defensively. Combine that with allowing even more gifted baserunners via walks & hit batsmen... only way to win is score 8 or more runs every game (& that doesn't always work). Just a bad formula for consistent success.

Need improvement... I hold out hope that the team is capable. Frustrating that we've blown such a great 1st two ACC weekends in less than 2 (follow on) weekends.
We are just an inexperienced team right now. I was watching Florida's game Thursday and they kept going on and on about how young they are with 3 freshman starters. Well, we have 6 and really 8 that see significant time. This is the main reason why I didn't think we'd be hosting at the end of the year. We are just going to have a lot of ups and downs this year and be pretty inconsistent overall.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are just an inexperienced team right now. I was watching Florida's game Thursday and they kept going on and on about how young they are with 3 freshman starters. Well, we have 6 and really 8 that see significant time. This is the main reason why I didn't think we'd be hosting at the end of the year. We are just going to have a lot of ups and downs this year and be pretty inconsistent overall.
At some point I should probably pay you... all the times you talk me off the ledge. 🙂 #THWGtherapy

Deleted member 2897

Cant believe the same team who went 5-1 against NCSU and Louisville went 1-3 against Notre Dame and Wake Forest.