VT Game Watching

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately work prevents me from making it to Blacksburg to cover the game. No worries for GTSwarm though as @John is going to be a one-man show on the sidelines and in the press box.

I am planning to go to the GT West Lanier alumni network game watching event at the Hudson Grille at Windward Pkwy/Highway 9. If any of y'all are in the area and interested it'd be fun to meet up for the game!

Hudson Grille
865 N Main St, Alpharetta, GA 30004
(770) 777-4127

For everyone without commitments don't forget to join @Eric in the chat.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll be at the game in sec 19 row aaa seat 25 if anyone's nearby. If love to hang out with some other gt fans too if you're tailgating.

jacob

Banned
Is it ok to go one of those watch parties even if your not an alum? Or what that be frowned upon?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Is it ok to go one of those watch parties even if your not an alum? Or what that be frowned upon?
Absolutely go.

First, there is no secret handshake or diploma check anyway at "Alumni" gatherings. I am not a Tech grad but I went to the Alumni Association game viewings in Gotham all the time (not kidding actually as I lived in Brooklyn for 9 years). I even attended an Alumni Association gathering where Paul Hewitt came and talked to us and answered questions for an hour or so when he happened to be in the area (recruiting and visiting his family I assume).

Depending on how formal and active the Alumni group is they may try and discuss things like raising funds to contribute to a scholarship fund; or, like the one Hewitt attended, get him to sign a few basketballs and then hold auctions for them to raise scholarship funds for Tech students from that geographic area. But this is all stuff a non-alum can take part in.

The more Tech fans the merrier. I suppose about the only thing alum-oriented you could expect is that many people assume a fan is an alum so may start the small talk off with "what year were you?" or such like topics.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolutely go.

First, there is no secret handshake or diploma check anyway at "Alumni" gatherings. I am not a Tech grad but I went to the Alumni Association game viewings in Gotham all the time (not kidding actually as I lived in Brooklyn for 9 years). I even attended an Alumni Association gathering where Paul Hewitt came and talked to us and answered questions for an hour or so when he happened to be in the area (recruiting and visiting his family I assume).

Depending on how formal and active the Alumni group is they may try and discuss things like raising funds to contribute to a scholarship fund; or, like the one Hewitt attended, get him to sign a few basketballs and then hold auctions for them to raise scholarship funds for Tech students from that geographic area. But this is all stuff a non-alum can take part in.

The more Tech fans the merrier. I suppose about the only thing alum-oriented you could expect is that many people assume a fan is an alum so may start the small talk off with "what year were you?" or such like topics.
Definitely go - as an alum, I would never turn away a fellow fan. Most of us realize we need more sidewalk fans anyway!!!

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
The viewing parties are for all Tech fans (not just alums).

Hudson Grille in Sandy Springs had about 60+ viewers for the Tulane game. We'll be having the same viewing party with drink specials and a rowdy crowd this Saturday. This is the same location as the weekly Lunch Bunch gatherings for those who have attended or are curious about attending. Hope to see everyone there!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Also, there is not nearly the disconnect between Alumni and sidewalk fans in the Tech fanbase as there is in the UGA fanbase. Like @flea77 will let you know, the UGA alums really notice how being the huge flagship state school brings out all sorts of crazies as fans from all over the state.

But to be a Tech fan from the sidewalk is so much more of an explicit "choice" than to root for the big state school's team which is an easier default position to grow into as a Georgian. I think alums can see this.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, there is not nearly the disconnect between Alumni and sidewalk fans in the Tech fanbase as there is in the UGA fanbase. Like @flea77 will let you know, the UGA alums really notice how being the huge flagship state school brings out all sorts of crazies as fans from all over the state.

But to be a Tech fan from the sidewalk is so much more of an explicit "choice" than to root for the big state school's team which is an easier default position to grow into as a Georgian. I think alums can see this.
WELL SAID.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Fortunately I will be unable to watch live this week so I will not be able to look at the chat.

Get home, get a cold one and fire up the DVR.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

That depends on the club / person hosting. In general, I would think the clubs would want anyone who likes GT.

I'd love to have anyone who likes GT. My neighbor went to the Naval Academy for a while and really likes Navy and CPJ. He also puts up with me :rolleyes: But I don't want people who are VT fans at this game since alcohol and emotion don't mix well in that type of mixed company. It would be much worse with a UGAg fan who would not be welcome. But I wouldn't have a problem at all with most UVa, Duke, NCState, UNC or most other ACC fans.