VT Defense

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What I remembered from last year was two roughly evenly matched teams slugging it out. We had a slightly better team but negated it by absurd, selfinflected screwups.

This year's game should be very interesting. From all reports VT has an offense this year. This it totally out of character. And GT can both run and pass, again out of character.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think we had all the answers on paper against Foster's defense last year - get the ball on the edge with rocket toss and quick pitches (off the triple look).

But there aren't *really* any answers "on paper" in football. Foster and Johnson know this. If our tackles can't step down on the knifing backer, then he's going to disrupt the QB's pitch.If we can't clear the corners with our ABs, rocket won't work. If the QB can't hit the WRs consistently, the defense won't respect the pass threat.

Just about every coordinator in big time college football knows how to "out scheme" the other guy in the sense that they know how the opposition will try to counter their own scheme. The real issue is whether their guys have been coached well enough to execute. CPJ's measure as an offensive coach v Foster will not be whether or not he has tapped into some sort of Xs and Os black magic. It's whether JT can find Zenon against the cover 3, whether Chamberlain can neutralize the charging OLB, whether Perkins can give Bostic some daylight on the toss.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Y'all are comparing this year's VT qb to the overall pitiful-in-most-games Logan Thomas. What you have to do is compare this year's VT qb to the beast Logan Thomas that played in our games the last three years. Their qb will have to have a much better game against us than he did against Ohio State to approach the Logan Thomas performances against us. If you start with that assumption, it's looks much more winnable. We may wet our pants, but it will be hard for us to play with less execution than we did last year. More efficiency from us and less efficiency from the quarterback position for VT I think is a given. Hopefully that shows on the scoreboard.
I don’t think Logan Thomas was much different against us than any other game with the exception that our players just couldn’t get the job done with tackling him. We had the same opportunities everyone else had and didn’t execute the same. Either way, Logan Thomas always put up decent stats and could make plays out of nothing but he never made any player around him better.

jeffgt14

I think we had all the answers on paper against Foster's defense last year - get the ball on the edge with rocket toss and quick pitches (off the triple look).

But there aren't *really* any answers "on paper" in football. Foster and Johnson know this. If our tackles can't step down on the knifing backer, then he's going to disrupt the QB's pitch.If we can't clear the corners with our ABs, rocket won't work. If the QB can't hit the WRs consistently, the defense won't respect the pass threat.

Just about every coordinator in big time college football knows how to "out scheme" the other guy in the sense that they know how the opposition will try to counter their own scheme. The real issue is whether their guys have been coached well enough to execute. CPJ's measure as an offensive coach v Foster will not be whether or not he has tapped into some sort of Xs and Os black magic. It's whether JT can find Zenon against the cover 3, whether Chamberlain can neutralize the charging OLB, whether Perkins can give Bostic some daylight on the toss.
You’re exactly right. I think VT is going to make us beat them with the pass like they did against OSU. They’ll single cover our receivers and if we can’t hit them then they’ll win. And we’ll have to hit them quick because they will bring pressure hoping to force mistakes.

What I remembered from last year was two roughly evenly matched teams slugging it out. We had a slightly better team but negated it by absurd, selfinflected screwups.

This year's game should be very interesting. From all reports VT has an offense this year. This it totally out of character. And GT can both run and pass, again out of character.

Regardless of the outcome of this week's games, I would look for Va Tech to be at least a two TD favorite at home. We were 3 of 8 for 15 yards passing against Tulane, with an interception. That hardly warrants getting Foster to commit resources to our passing game. Look for the Hokies to stack the box the same as previous years and to force us out of our comfort zone.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the outcome of this week's games, I would look for Va Tech to be at least a two TD favorite at home. We were 3 of 8 for 15 yards passing against Tulane, with an interception. That hardly warrants getting Foster to commit resources to our passing game. Look for the Hokies to stack the box the same as previous years and to force us out of our comfort zone.

Exactly ^^ ... they also seem to be good at masking their blitz scheme's, if we can figure out where they're coming from and exploit them, we can "reverse comfort zone" them !

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me guys for what I am going to say.

I can't talk about VPI now as much as I would like to. We have a very serious opponent this Saturday that we will lose to if we are looking ahead. I am very nervous about this game. If we win we can get momentum going into our first ACC game. If we lose it could be devastating to a young team. We need the win very badly this week.

jeffgt14

Why are people worried about Ga Southern? (n) (I always thought this emoji was head scratching but I just realized it’s a thumbs down. I’m gonna keep using it as head scratching.)

Why are people worried about Ga Southern? (n) (I always thought this emoji was head scratching but I just realized it’s a thumbs down. I’m gonna keep using it as head scratching.)

Part of it is the innate pessimissm of TechNation, so many of us have seen the Jackets lay an egg at the most inopportune times. Some of it is the subplot of Southern and CPJ, the irony of ironies being made possible by the schedulers. And of course they just hung 83 on Savannah State. I expect they will be sky high for a while and then we will take care of them in a workman-like fashion. But until we play, anything is possible.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The quick slant will be there.
OSU ate them up on slants.
I don't want to expose our Line & QB to long throws and I expect a ton of pressure from all angles. This is a game like I said last year, we'll have to pass first to establish the run.

But I'm more concerned with GSU they will not be easy and can beat us. They have all the offensive talent.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me guys for what I am going to say.

I can't talk about VPI now as much as I would like to. We have a very serious opponent this Saturday that we will lose to if we are looking ahead. I am very nervous about this game. If we win we can get momentum going into our first ACC game. If we lose it could be devastating to a young team. We need the win very badly this week.

You realize that you're not on the team, right? There's no cosmic connection between fans looking ahead and the team looking ahead.

jeffgt14

The quick slant will be there.
OSU ate them up on slants.
I don't want to expose our Line & QB to long throws and I expect a ton of pressure from all angles. This is a game like I said last year, we'll have to pass first to establish the run.

But I'm more concerned with GSU they will not be easy and can beat us. They have all the offensive talent.
JT's size hurts the quick slant option some.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
We need some pass protection to really come together against VT. If we find ourselves in 3rd and long, expect Bud to bring the house. Per the ACC blog:

* Of course, plenty of credit also goes to defensive coordinator Bud Foster, who had an exceptional game plan. Knowing that his secondary could operate in man coverage, he brought the blitz on 79 percent of Ohio State’s dropbacks. Those 20 dropbacks resulted in more sacks (7) than completions (6).

That's been his philosophy as long as I can remember against GT. He knows we struggle with the pass so he has no reason to commit resources to it. I'm nervous that we'll have to prove we can pass early in the game to loosen up this strategy. Why I'm worried is if we don't execute, we put ourselves behind the 8-ball (3rd and long) and we can't afford to get down by multiple scores early. I'm hoping CPJ doesn't hesitate to sling the ball on 2nd @ <3 just to show them it's there. But absolutely on long distance, expect the blitz.

jeffgt14

I think Waller could be the key to beating VT's defense. There's no reason he can't win a jump ball if Smelter's gets the better corner.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We need some pass protection to really come together against VT. If we find ourselves in 3rd and long, expect Bud to bring the house. Per the ACC blog:

* Of course, plenty of credit also goes to defensive coordinator Bud Foster, who had an exceptional game plan. Knowing that his secondary could operate in man coverage, he brought the blitz on 79 percent of Ohio State’s dropbacks. Those 20 dropbacks resulted in more sacks (7) than completions (6).

That's been his philosophy as long as I can remember against GT. He knows we struggle with the pass so he has no reason to commit resources to it. I'm nervous that we'll have to prove we can pass early in the game to loosen up this strategy. Why I'm worried is if we don't execute, we put ourselves behind the 8-ball (3rd and long) and we can't afford to get down by multiple scores early. I'm hoping CPJ doesn't hesitate to sling the ball on 2nd @ <3 just to show them it's there. But absolutely on long distance, expect the blitz.

I agree we will have to pass some. From what I saw against Ohio State their corners can cover us. We need to run the corners deep using our WR depth and throw under them to work on their blitzing LBs. ABs in the flat and hooks where the LB left from.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anybody think Virginia tech playing the way they did and being so successful was actually beneficial to tech?

Think about it...on the national stage he threw all sorts of blitzes at a young qb. The announcers even said Foster prepared for this game like he does for playing us. thats valuable film exposure for our team...players and coaches. I'm sure he will dial up new schemes for us but that has to give some sort of advantage in game planning that we may not have had in previous years.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hate to admit this but VT looked like a potential playoff team to me, I hope we can shatter those dreams for them

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
VPI has beaten their major OOC opponent in tOSU. Otherwise, they played Wm&Mary and will play E. Car and W. Mich.

For crossovers, they play BC and WF. Not only do they avoid the Atlantic 3 of FSU, CU and L'lvle but they avoid Atl #4 in Syracuse. They should be bowl eligible without looking at single Coastal opponent.

They certainly seem to be the team to beat for the Coastal again.