Vols OL Grad Transfer comes to GT

GT_EE78

Banned
Ryan Johnson earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering last December, completing the program less than three years after arriving on campus. He then began pursuing a master’s in structural engineering.
Outstanding pick up who could play immediately. Looks that he was a four star guy at 2016 recruiting time who also had offers from Bama/Clemson
https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Johnson-33274/

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Johnson earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering last December, completing the program less than three years after arriving on campus. He then began pursuing a master’s in structural engineering.
Outstanding pick up who could play immediately. Looks that he was a four star guy at 2016 recruiting time who also had offers from Bama/Clemson
https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Johnson-33274/
I'm happy to have the help coming in. My opinion is that once a player gets to college, the HS rating goes out the window. That's a projection of how someone will play when they get to college. For these transfers, how they actually played is much more important to me. I don't know anything about this kid's collegiate career at Tennessee, but he has good size. Always interested in the reasons behind why kids are doing the grad transfer thing. Personally, I prefer the homesick kid transferring in as opposed to the kid transferring for PT. Grad Transfers are a whole different subset.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy to have the help coming in. My opinion is that once a player gets to college, the HS rating goes out the window. That's a projection of how someone will play when they get to college. For these transfers, how they actually played is much more important to me. I don't know anything about this kid's collegiate career at Tennessee, but he has good size. Always interested in the reasons behind why kids are doing the grad transfer thing. Personally, I prefer the homesick kid transferring in as opposed to the kid transferring for PT. Grad Transfers are a whole different subset.

Grad transfers are the free agents of college football, having earned that status in the classroom.

GT_EE78

Banned
I wouldn't throw out the HS rating completely because there's still some measure of potential built into it, but would certainly agree that it's value diminishes over time, maybe 1/2,1/3,1/4 after years 1,2,3.. not sure i'd agree about the reason's importance, but a hometown story is always nice to have.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey, who needs offensive linemen with experience? Uh ,we do. I don't care about his stars or reasons (although I assume a GT engineering masters is one reason). If Key liked him enough to bring him in and assuming Key is a much better assessment of OL talent than all of us (we, including myself, are only great at observations and critiques). So glad to have him.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We most likely won't be able to recruit our way to OL success in 2020. In order to become more competitive next year, we are going to need guys like him coming in, hopefully a couple more. Our 2020 recruits will hopefully make a difference a couple years down the road, but asking true frosh to lead the team up front just isn't realistic. I am glad to see this.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Great fit in so many ways....to our most dire need, to our school, to our team culture. Just a tremendous add, a godsend for the OL which short term needs so much help.