Vision for the Future Offense

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Something like Elon a few years back: 2 WR wideouts, a slotback (former AB), 2 RBs (former BBs) and a duel threat QB in the shotgun in the backfield. An under center QB (maybe T Oliver) for short yardage and inside the 10. Use of inside and outside double option and lots of misdirection. Use of slotback motion. Run heavy attack using all four backs along with play action. Limited or no TE. Obvious passing downs sub in another slotback for one of the former BBs. Keep um guessing! This system keeps part of the option (simplifies), opens up more passing, and makes good use of existing personnel. It also lets us use a lot of weapons and not be so dependent on one or two playmakers who may fall to injury.-

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It will most likely look much different but will it be as effective? Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Probably want to keep whatever play TO ran all over people with. A QB sweep/midline. Otherwise it just depends on the coach, but we showed we can beat teams that are physically inferior just running a couple of plays like that with TO, so I'd keep that around to make sure you beat the patsys next year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Something like Elon a few years back: 2 WR wideouts, a slotback (former AB), 2 RBs (former BBs) and a duel threat QB in the shotgun in the backfield. An under center QB (maybe T Oliver) for short yardage and inside the 10. Use of inside and outside double option and lots of misdirection. Use of slotback motion. Run heavy attack using all four backs along with play action. Limited or no TE. Obvious passing downs sub in another slotback for one of the former BBs. Keep um guessing! This system keeps part of the option (simplifies), opens up more passing, and makes good use of existing personnel. It also lets us use a lot of weapons and not be so dependent on one or two playmakers who may fall to injury.-
If it is Collins, and I see he interviewed today, I doubt very much from what little I have seen on YouTube (three minute highlights) that you will see two running backs set with the QB very often. More of a one-back set, one in motion or flanked or double-slotted, and the one in motion seems, as with Johnson's motion guys, to turn into a blocker very quickly so the RB still has two backs leading. I am anxious to see the bowl game, all of it, to get a better idea. Haven't seen in such limited exposure any seriously innovative ideass, though. A question, though: the FB in this offense, while running it a lot, also is lead blocker much of the time. Do our Bbacks block well in space, as opposed to hitting a lineman head on in the hole?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’d prefer to see a vision for the future defense.
I am anxious to see which coaches a new guy keeps, and whether as part of his negotiating he gets more salary money for assistants. Johnson already has, I know, but it is an arms race out there. I always thought, without any supporting evidence except the record, that Johnson was too loyal to some of his assistants so a new guy is going to move pretty quickly I would guess. Maybe many of or all of his present staff. But surely he is going to really look at the impact on and knowledge of recruiting.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My post "Vision for the Future Offense" was my personal preference for what I would like to see. I liked the TO3 with Johnson calling the shots but not so much with other coaches unless it was the Army or Kennesaw State coach. I agree that what I would do is unlikely with the coach candidates we are looking at. I am familiar with our roster and have experience adjusting to my talent as my own OC when I coached so this was my preference of the O I would like to see, considering transitioning with our roster and our recruiting restraints.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Probably want to keep whatever play TO ran all over people with. A QB sweep/midline. Otherwise it just depends on the coach, but we showed we can beat teams that are physically inferior just running a couple of plays like that with TO, so I'd keep that around to make sure you beat the patsys next year.
And we beat Virginia Tech and Miami running that package who I wouldn’t call physically inferior.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am still shocked by what I saw us do to Bud Foster this year. Just shocked.
I always enjoy that matchup, and that brief moment on the field afterwards when we are lucky enough to have a camera on them, when Foster and Johnson meet and greet until next year. It was a great matchup while it lasted.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Dont forget uGa a few times as well. We will miss the ability to out perform our recruiting rankings; CPJ was a great advantage.
Alpha, if he had been a "great advantage" he would still have a job. There is more to being a football coach than just football.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I am still shocked by what I saw us do to Bud Foster this year. Just shocked.
Bud Foster and Justin Fuente are a totally, TOTALLY different dynamic than Bud and Beamer. It's not that we've been outsmarting Bud since Fuente got there. He's not running the same defense. Total speculation, but I get the feeling Bud wanted that HC job, and Fuente was forced to keep him as a DC. Beamer could go to Bud and say, "Get your ish together. It's Georgia Tech." Either Fuente feels he can't do that, or Bud tells him to stick it up his bleep because he knows who his supporters/donors are at VT. Pure conspiracy. But people who know more than me have pointed out on here how much more aggressive Duke has been on defense with their alignments than VT against us lately.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Alpha, if he had been a "great advantage" he would still have a job. There is more to being a football coach than just football.

When you outperform your recruiting ratings (that are directly related to the amount of money you put into your next to program), that tells me someone (CPJ maybe) is doing something right. In case you've missed it, we are ahead of only Wake Forest in the ACC in spending and 61 out of 65 in Power 5 spending on our program. When we finish 1st or second in the coastal most years, that is better than we should be and a much better neighborhood than we have the money to buy in to.

Everybody on this board knows you hate CPJ and the option. Everybody on this board knows the option haters believe we should/will be recruiting in the top 25 since is now gone. Many of us don't see that happening because we can't out recruit the Factories and get the same kids they do. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but CPJ did amazing work to overcome our systemic issues and lack of financial commitment to the program.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope the big spenders write the big checks and we get all the coaches we are looking to get. Whiz as CEO Elliot as HC, Monken as OC and Collins as DC.

That is the level of spending we are going up against at the top end -- for every decision.