Vision for the Future Offense

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot of pro teams work both shotgun and under center depending on field position and yardage needed. Watching Russell Wilson last night with that O says you don't have to be 6-4 to play QB in the pros.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There really isn't any problem here, provided that Coach hires an OC who is open to use the personnel he has on hand effectively. All that OC has to do is:

Watch film of UVA's games this year then go and do likewise.

We have three QBs already - Lucas, Graham, and Tobias - and one coming in - Yates - who can do a very good imitation of Perkins. Then it is a matter of running the Lobo diamond more often then UVA does, so we can use our stable of running backs more effectively. That'll do, right there. We win 7 or 8 games and those who want it will get the passing they've been pining for. Of course, this could mean we'd have to ask Bronco for some help and he won't give it. Still, he had to get his ideas from somewhere and we could go to the same place or ask Lumsford for help.

Problem solved, right away, and without too much waste of the present roster. But will it happen? Probably not, but we can hope.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly what my buddies who coach HS football in GA have told me. Almost verbatim. I shared that same thing in another thread. The ACC and SEC schools who recruit GA kids DO NOT want GT running an offense that will compete for recruits because there's a LOT of kids who want to stay home both for the business and educational opportunities GT represents. To go further, they fear a good coach coming in who can sell GT because GT has so many advantages a lot of the SEC and ACC schools do not because of Atlanta. GT will recruit a different type of kid, but those kids are self driven and won't be scared of the academics...because the reality is, kids that wanted to go to GT will end up picking a similar major somewhere else and still have to do similar coursework. One buddy who coaches at a powerhouse program in Cobb said that GT running a pure option system basically opened up the barn door to let other schools come in and raid the building. His point was that in the South, and this is something Tommy Tubberville said, kids like to stay close to their families...but kids also have professional aspirations. UGA can only recruit so many kids a year, and GT should be able to win a few battles every year with kids UGA doesn't want...and if you look at the history of some of our offensive players, that's exactly the case. GT has gotten quite a few good players in the past because recruits who couldn't get a scholly from UGA ended picking GT because they wanted to stay home. When CPJ came in, GT lost out on a lot of those kids.

To CPJ's credit, he's gotten results with kids a lot of P5 schools were not looking at on offense, but he had to do it the hard way. It will certainly be interesting to see this all play out the next 2-3 seasons once the new coach comes in and gets established.

Tech,
It is VERY easy to understand at ALL the Offensive positions the problems to recruit..--QBs want throw more and/or not get hit as much.Running backs don't want to share carries ESPECIALLY with the QB getting most of the runs these days.TEs-forget it. WRs--pleeze, 90% blocking. Off linemen-- not much easy pass blocking and a lot of injury-prone plays out from LOS.
I expect an uptick in recruiting but whether it improves the Offense, I don't know.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
From what I have read, Coach Collins like to run a RPO vs the triple option. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do we currently have a QB that has enough arm strength and accuracy to throw the ball up and down the field? Do we have the linemen that can sustain blocks, versus flop at someone's feet? I think there will be little to no changes with the defense, however; I foresee the major overhaul on offense coming. It may take 2-3 years to get the players required, in place. Just curious, has anyone else thought about which offense we'll see?

GC ran mostly a one back Offense with 3 WRs this yr. WE don't really have the folks for that Off I don't think --plus no TE.
He ran a 4-3 DEF as I recall so that is a change.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Tech,
It is VERY easy to understand at ALL the Offensive positions the problems to recruit..--QBs want throw more and/or not get hit as much.Running backs don't want to share carries ESPECIALLY with the QB getting most of the runs these days.TEs-forget it. WRs--pleeze, 90% blocking. Off linemen-- not much easy pass blocking and a lot of injury-prone plays out from LOS.
I expect an uptick in recruiting but whether it improves the Offense, I don't know.
I look at the uptick in recruiting to be on the defensive side next year others will see how our offense is before you see recruiting getting better on that side, we need a great OC that can adapt to the player till that happens.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
GC ran mostly a one back Offense with 3 WRs this yr. WE don't really have the folks for that Off I don't think --plus no TE.
He ran a 4-3 DEF as I recall so that is a change.
It's impossible to tell because we don't know what our AB's are all really capable of, but Lynch would have been fine as a slot IMO. I don't know if any of the other AB's have sure hands, so I am not sure if there are any other that could play slot.
As for TE, I don't really think it matters. The flexbone style of triple option is not the only college offense that doesn't utilize a tight end (the standard spread passing offense for one example), so we should be able to succeed without one until we get one.
We have proven we can have a top 20 offense with the players we have. An innovative coach will be fine if he allows the scheme to fit and change with the personnel (I think Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris do a good job of this for example).