Virginia Tech postgame discussion

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Some Saturdays I can watch a lot of football, and on those days I watch games from nearly every conference. I can honestly say that I see more blown calls in the ACC than in P5 conferences, and even the G5 conferences aren't as heinous. I mean, that Wake Forest game looked like it was ref'd by a bunch of middle school refs and the VT game was nearly as bad.

That's why it's called the ACC: Another Crappy Call.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The Key Play (VT Blog) has a pretty good breakdown of some of the contributing factors to GT's success and VT's lack of it on offense last Saturday: http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-...rcle-reviewing-hokies-22-28-loss-georgia-tech

That's a really good read. I wonder how much information is possible to pick up on in-game to make adjustments in play-calling. Seems like our offensive scheme would be perfect for having a systematic approach to reading the defense. I know CPJ and staff do this already, but is it just observation or is there a codified approach? Also wonder about communicating info to players while lined up instead of making pre-snap reads up to the players on the field. Essentially, have coaches communicate a formation and play tree, and use those boards to signal in which one based on defensive alignment. I also think we need to vary our snap count more and be more cognizant of variation in timing of snap WRT A-back motion. A lot of plays are busted because of someone defeating an interior block off good timing.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
In shortened video at 9:30 31,32, 33, 9;45, 46, 47 looks like some blocks in the back on McMillen long KO return. Noticed it during game. Are they?
I thought 23 got blocked in the back, but its more like he was blocked at 4-5 o'clock, rather than 6. The announcer called it a missed tackle? WTF.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
The Key Play (VT Blog) has a pretty good breakdown of some of the contributing factors to GT's success and VT's lack of it on offense last Saturday: http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-...rcle-reviewing-hokies-22-28-loss-georgia-tech
Author to the article is very fair for the most part. If you read down the comments he even defends a lot of our blocking, but saying there were 6 uncalled chop blocks is kinda hysterical.

I think VT fans obsession with how we block stems from us beating them more than anything. They gotta find something to blame it on just like we do when we lose. If refs saw all of the stuff that we supposedly do they'd see tons more stuff that other teams do.

Animal02

Banned
Author to the article is very fair for the most part. If you read down the comments he even defends a lot of our blocking, but saying there were 6 uncalled chop blocks is kinda hysterical.

I think VT fans obsession with how we block stems from us beating them more than anything. They gotta find something to blame it on just like we do when we lose. If refs saw all of the stuff that we supposedly do they'd see tons more stuff that other teams do.
Yes, just like some of our fans want to blame the close losses on our team " losing focus" or the head coach not playing a backup qb

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Happy for Keshun. Very cool of the staff to give him that fake punt opportunity. He's had a letdown the past 2 seasons and lost his starting job recently and he still pours it all out. He's a team first guy.
After watching that fake I thought that Keshun could have been the "TE that Paul never had". :)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Rant from a VT board....
"Damn't, that was a rough one. I absolutely hate Paul Johnson and any loss to him is excruciating. It grates on me to picture that guy gloating about it. I stayed up till 4:30 am watching VT **** the bed to the ire of my wife the next day so it was like Chinballs had two wins. Damn't I hate this guy. The day cannot come quick enough where he is no longer in the ACC and endangering knees of young men."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
guys who say things like that should be immediately challenged: 10 years, how many knees? take all the time you want. But the answer is zero. I can accept some of that boorish behavior by Johnson just knowing people like VT feel it worse.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Rant from a VT board....
"Damn't, that was a rough one. I absolutely hate Paul Johnson and any loss to him is excruciating. It grates on me to picture that guy gloating about it. I stayed up till 4:30 am watching VT **** the bed to the ire of my wife the next day so it was like Chinballs had two wins. Damn't I hate this guy. The day cannot come quick enough where he is no longer in the ACC and endangering knees of young men."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Who would have guessed that Cutcliffe regularly posts on the VT boards...;)

alagold

Helluva Engineer

wow, what a great analysis
I didn't see the game so seeing the plays was very interesting to me
what did jump out at me was--on our 2 TD passes , TM threw perfect passes hitting guys IN STRIDE while the vt QB threw a tad short in that last play which helped Kerr a lot

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
wow, what a great analysis
I didn't see the game so seeing the plays was very interesting to me
what did jump out at me was--on our 2 TD passes , TM threw perfect passes hitting guys IN STRIDE while the vt QB threw a tad short in that last play which helped Kerr a lot
He almost overthrew Ricky again as Ricky had to really stretch/reach for the ball. Great job making the grab and keeping his feet. Now the toss to Brad was spot on perfect!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this was mentioned but I think this was the first time GT has beat VT in back to back years since being in the ACC.

Animal02

Banned
He almost overthrew Ricky again as Ricky had to really stretch/reach for the ball. Great job making the grab and keeping his feet. Now the toss to Brad was spot on perfect!
The starting QB position was not determined during the off-season last year. One thing that should happen over the off season coming up is TM practicing one on one with receivers on their own - unofficially...... that hopefully will make a difference next year with regard to timing on routes etc.