Video Review in ACC games

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you. Slows the game down way too much.
The benefit (correcting mistakes) just does not outweigh the cost (slow game...disrupting everyone's rhythm). The way this is executed exacerbates both sides of that equation and I'm pretty convinced you won't see many 'reversals' (see rationale below)

First...correcting mistakes. There will be very few reversals (even if warranted sometimes) because: 1) I assume there are not multiple "good" angles caught by the limited camera's; 2) You are relying on "college baseball budget" technical crews to actually have the camera properly aimed at the play; and 3) The umpires "reviewing" the video are the same individuals who just made the call on the field. Human nature would be/is to not admit a mistake...anything that can be rationalized as "not indisputable evidence on video" will stand as called.

Second...slowing game down. The process seems to be... 1) Coach requesting review comes out of dugout & approaches home plate ump to "discuss" the situation; 2) Ump then calls a pow-wow with the rest of the crew to "talk" about something and take notes on a piece of paper; 3) 2 umpires retire to somewhere out of view via the dugout; 4) Eventually, emerge to make the call. The 3-4 reviews I've seen so far probably (I didn't keep a clock) averaged 4-5 minutes to complete.

Deleted member 2897

I'll keep this brief.... I don't like it!

Changing the subject, the video reviews I've seen in the NCAA Basketball Tournament have been worthless. The games are already too slow with the volume of commercials and all the silly unnecessary foul calls - its like watching 20 year olds play freeze tag. The clock never runs. A couple of the video reviews I'm like, "How in the world did they still miss that call - why have a video review if you still can't get it right?"

I haven't witnessed them in Baseball, but I can imagine how painfully slow the games must be if they go to that too much.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll continue to listen to the games. Watching them live drives me crazy since the game is so slow. I can watch pieces ..... end of game or beginning or when we put a new pitcher in or the real jams. But it is true that baseball is 10 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours. Make that 10 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours and 10 minutes with replay.

What makes the games really enjoyable (other than winning) is listening to Wiley and who ever he has with him. Jim Poole has been one of his best associates.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
If you remember, last year at Auburn we received a gift of a replay on the McCann HR. The ball was clearly foul but the replay views didn't show the best angle. It wasn't till the news in Auburn that evening that the best angle was broadcasted and showed that the HR was foul. They just need to add a time-limit. The coaches need to have a video set up in the dugout to ensure they are not asking for bogus reviews.