Video - Justin Thomas to Deon HIll

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said "we missed the bitz pick up" when regarding that play. I'm assuming he was talking about Laskey. I think he just read it wrong and picked the wrong side. It might have made things worse if Laskey chose right. It may have pushed the LB outside and right into where JT needed to go, who knows?

The BB was responsible for blocking the DE on the backside of the play. Not sure if the center stepped the wrong way or if the LB was a "hot read" which JT needs to make him miss, which he did.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said "we missed the bitz pick up" when regarding that play. I'm assuming he was talking about Laskey. I think he just read it wrong and picked the wrong side. It might have made things worse if Laskey chose right. It may have pushed the LB outside and right into where JT needed to go, who knows?

I believe in a player interview, probably Thomas, the play was called e rollout left and Laskey was pre determined to go left. I believe the LB came between the center and RG. You make a good point that somebody has to abandon their presnap assighment and get a piece of that LB, more likely the center or Mason. The LB timed his blitz perfectly and it looked like only Thomas saw him coming. This week we will need better "awareness" and hopefully will practice who will do what..

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I saw this spin move real well in the North Endzone. JT had another fantastic move in the backfield earlier in the game as well I believe but I have to go back and re-watch to locate it. Fantastic catch by Hill though. I was calling it a facemask in the stands as well though I don't know if the top front (crown) of the helmet counts for the penalty.

I thought at the time I saw the pass in real time that it was too high (like several other JT passes this game). Hill went way up to get that ball and it was a much harder catch than he has been given credit for. Great job by both JT and DH. I think any referee thoughts of a penalty was dismissed when Deon came down on his feet and headed toward the goal. It was marginal helmet/face mask grab? I would not have flagged that.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Is it me or was the blitzing linebacker ZL's responsibility to pick up?

In Thomas' interview after the game he said that the play was called for him to rollout left (and Laskey to go left) but he saw the LB coming and needed to set him up with a move. He knew Hill would be coming right and he was looking for him after he evaded the LB and rolled right. The LB blitzed between the C an RG who were engaged with blocking DTs. This week we need better awareness and a plan for somebody to pick up such a blitz. On this play I do not think Laskey could have helped as he was already committed left per play call.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I've never seen PJ fist bump a player like that. I hope he and JT have that chemistry/trust in each other like two golf partners when they get it rolling in better ball.
but PJ still has that SCOWL on his face.Does the guy ever smile.?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In Thomas' interview after the game he said that the play was called for him to rollout left (and Laskey to go left) but he saw the LB coming and needed to set him up with a move. He knew Hill would be coming right and he was looking for him after he evaded the LB and rolled right. The LB blitzed between the C an RG who were engaged with blocking DTs. This week we need better awareness and a plan for somebody to pick up such a blitz. On this play I do not think Laskey could have helped as he was already committed left per play call.
Wow, not only did he elude the blitzer who had him dead to rights, he had the presence to remember the secondary receiver was dragging right and he got the throw off with two other defenders in his face.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wow, not only did he elude the blitzer who had him dead to rights, he had the presence to remember the secondary receiver was dragging right and he got the throw off with two other defenders in his face.
Absolutely. The kind of QB play I've been hoping for the last 12 years or so. I think with this team we can count on some real highs and some real lows, and who knows about win/loss.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
After watching the play more times than I can count, I think the Center was supposed to pass the NT off to the LG, and then pick up the blitz. The NT did a good job of hooking the C, and carried him to the left A gap. At the same time, the LG didn't pick up the NT, so the C remained engaged with the NT. Further complicating things, the RT's man didn't rush but rather stayed out to spy, so the RT had no one to block until his man came forward. The protection was certainly blown by the LG, but the scheme by Southern was pretty smart. JT's speed made this play, and in more than one way. Because JT is so fast, the blitzing LB had to walk up in his gap early enough that JT could see him coming, or else risk not getting there. Once JT saw where the blitz was coming, he knew exactly what he was going to do. Definitely need to get the assignments up front cleaned up, though. The C should be able to pass the NT off and at least impede the blitzing LB, giving JT more time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
After watching the play more times than I can count, I think the Center was supposed to pass the NT off to the LG, and then pick up the blitz. The NT did a good job of hooking the C, and carried him to the left A gap. At the same time, the LG didn't pick up the NT, so the C remained engaged with the NT. Further complicating things, the RT's man didn't rush but rather stayed out to spy, so the RT had no one to block until his man came forward. The protection was certainly blown by the LG, but the scheme by Southern was pretty smart. JT's speed made this play, and in more than one way. Because JT is so fast, the blitzing LB had to walk up in his gap early enough that JT could see him coming, or else risk not getting there. Once JT saw where the blitz was coming, he knew exactly what he was going to do. Definitely need to get the assignments up front cleaned up, though. The C should be able to pass the NT off and at least impede the blitzing LB, giving JT more time.
What was Lasky's assignment?

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
View attachment 414
From ramblinwreck.com
More sanitary than a handshake or high five.

Would the result be known as "making a play"?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching live in the stadium was awesome! I was safe and secure at half time, I hit rocks bottom in the second half, I held no hope for an overturn, then replay lasted for ever, the longer the less likely to be over turned, then over turned!!!!, my hear was punching through my shirt each play, then SCORE!!!! yelling and screaming, then can we hold them for 25 seconds, then ball knocked down by Golden, and I was a happy person. Nope, I was not going to focus on the bad as I wanted to revel more than wallow!!!!!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Watching live in the stadium was awesome! I was safe and secure at half time, I hit rocks bottom in the second half, I held no hope for an overturn, then replay lasted for ever, the longer the less likely to be over turned, then over turned!!!!, my hear was punching through my shirt each play, then SCORE!!!! yelling and screaming, then can we hold them for 25 seconds, then ball knocked down by Golden, and I was a happy person. Nope, I was not going to focus on the bad as I wanted to revel more than wallow!!!!!
Yeah, I could never think ahead anyway or anticipate the next play. Just praying and probably mumbling "come one" repetitively. But I do get the psycho-somatic physical sensations in games like this of the stomach being in knots and wanting to vomit. Maybe it is a southern thing since if I was a southern belle then I would probably just swoon like Scarlet O'Hara in these situations.