Video - Justin Thomas to Deon HIll

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
My mouth dropped open when I saw that move by JT. I don't think he saw that blitz coming until the last second and that reaction time I think is pretty amazing.

Also, I've never seen JT so pumped up after a TD. He's always very business like, sometimes if he pitches the ball and he sees the pitchman going the distance, he'll raise up his arms. But after that TD pass, he was running and jumping around then came back and CPJ gave JT a fist-bump. :)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I saw this spin move real well in the North Endzone. JT had another fantastic move in the backfield earlier in the game as well I believe but I have to go back and re-watch to locate it. Fantastic catch by Hill though. I was calling it a facemask in the stands as well though I don't know if the top front (crown) of the helmet counts for the penalty.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will expand more when I write my report. Bottom line: there may be 3 or 4 QBs in the country who make that play and evade the sack and one of them is playing for us (for a change)! That play, in isolation, is indicative of what this guy can do for our offense that has been missing. It may not even dawn on some people who watch the game, but I can tell you that is not natural and a common ability for people in his position. Just the ability to sense it is one thing, but then the actual athletic ability to avoid the sack was off the charts. The kid is a magician at times and his quickness and body control is breathtaking.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched it for the nth time and I gotta say, the Southern safety misplayed that very badly. For some inexplicable reason he jumped in the air like he had a shot at intercepting or knocking down the throw. He was way too late for that as we now know.

If he had just lowered his shoulder and rammed Hill in the back, he most likely would have jarred the ball out, but at the very least, would have held Hill short of the marker. We would have been faced with a 4th and less than a yard and that would have been Wake Forrest 2.0. Bet we would have gone for it with Byerly.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Just rewatched it for the nth time and I gotta say, the Southern safety misplayed that very badly. For some inexplicable reason he jumped in the air like he had a shot at intercepting or knocking down the throw. He was way too late for that as we now know.

If he had just lowered his shoulder and rammed Hill in the back, he most likely would have jarred the ball out, but at the very least, would have held Hill short of the marker. We would have been faced with a 4th and less than a yard and that would have been Wake Forrest 2.0. Bet we would have gone for it with Byerly.
yep. no idea why he jumped as if he was going for the ball. he lowers the boom and he at least makes it 4th and short and butker has to come on to kick. glad to see JT calm and collected. just wish it wasn't against my alma mater, dammit.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT converted another 3 and 7 on that drive where he ran a keeper to the sidelines outrunning a defender. The playclock was at 0 at the snap. We got some good calls in that late 4th qtr.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He sees the future.
Note play to go left.
Bam - Make blitz miss WHILE keeping head down field.
Rolling right - see AB break open, quick set
Ball away.
Amazing

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Is it me or was the blitzing linebacker ZL's responsibility to pick up?

I think Laskey's responsibility was to the left. Play looked like it was a rollout or maybe half roll left. JT saw the blitz presnap, knew where Hill would be going, took a step or two to get the blitzer going in that direction, and beat him back to the right. A lot of good things on this play. Presnap recognition, confidence in the ability to beat a defender one on one, and the execution of it, all on the fly.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think he just slapped the top of the helmet and did not grab any opening in the helmet. Good no-call.
I think you're right. Haven't seen the DVR yet. From the stands I initially thought face mask (like Bruce), but your comment and having watched the news last night, it does appear that he only tried to grab the helmet and didn't get inside the face area.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CPJ gave JT a fist-bump. :)
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
upload_2014-9-16_8-38-50.png

From ramblinwreck.com

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Is it me or was the blitzing linebacker ZL's responsibility to pick up?
CPJ said "we missed the bitz pick up" when regarding that play. I'm assuming he was talking about Laskey. I think he just read it wrong and picked the wrong side. It might have made things worse if Laskey chose right. It may have pushed the LB outside and right into where JT needed to go, who knows?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I've never seen PJ fist bump a player like that. I hope he and JT have that chemistry/trust in each other like two golf partners when they get it rolling in better ball.