Film Room Video GT vs BC Offense Series 3 DM and MM Dive Dive Dive

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, I love your commentary. I like how you don't throw guys under the bus or point out bad play. I'd have a hard time doing that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what Klocks overall grade was for the game but he got beat a bit.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks longest. I really appreciate you breaking these down, I noticed somtimes you aren't sure about terminology or confusion on some of the schemes/decisions that are made. I get the vibe that you didn't play football for most of your life, but I could be wrong! I watched a lot of tape breakdowns playing 3 sports through HS and college baseball.

I know you had mentioned multiple times about BC kind of "blocking us" and it's definitely part of the scheme for BC. The more their DL can "chip" or hold up our OL from getting the to the 2nd level, the more free their LBs can move in space.

That's what impressed me the most about BC was how well coached they were on preventing our OL for running past them. It allowed #13 to roam from sideline to sideline all game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GT_B I am just a fan that has watched a lot of film. I don't know all the official terms and play names. My films are more for the fan than the football expert. I hope an expert takes over.

I just want to help the causal fan understand the offense enough to enjoy the offense. I restarted watching football again after seeing this offense (I was a Dan Marino / Don Shula fan until they retired).

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks I appreciate you doing this. I am not a coach either. The thing that most surprised me from the film was how we seemed to be so intent to get lineman and Abacks to the second level that we let guys come through. I know we option someone but not 3 guys. The other thing was how the outside defender made the tackle on several dives. I think our offensive line blocking is more complicated than zone blocking and teams are taking advantage of that through various formations including lining up dline in different gaps almost every play. As a result our oline is having hard time figuring out who is their man. In zone blocking you just get in front of whomever is there in front of you. Just a casual fan assessment.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks I appreciate you doing this. I am not a coach either. The thing that most surprised me from the film was how we seemed to be so intent to get lineman and Abacks to the second level that we let guys come through. I know we option someone but not 3 guys. The other thing was how the outside defender made the tackle on several dives. I think our offensive line blocking is more complicated than zone blocking and teams are taking advantage of that through various formations including lining up dline in different gaps almost every play. As a result our oline is having hard time figuring out who is their man. In zone blocking you just get in front of whomever is there in front of you. Just a casual fan assessment.
This why freshmen very rarely start. Just ask Flea.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
I really enjoyed your film analysis and comments. It was great for me as an intense, but lacking knowledge, fan.
I noticed a couple of things. Between Burden and Devine we may yet get close to the combo of Burden and Mason. Devine is showing much improvement in stamina and technique. Burden appears fully healed and ready to lead the line again. Inconsistent would be my opinion of most of the other O line.
When BC stacked the box on 3rd and 4 or 5, we just have to have a pass that will make them pay. They played tight man to man coverage on the WR , and their strong safety crashed hard to the line when JT kept the ball on the mesh. That left single coverage on the strong side WR. My limited knowledge would think that would set up a hitch and go, or something similar. The WR would initially block his DB, but if JT could pause and drop a little it could freeze the DB because there is also a pitch man to that side.
Interesting stuff to watch and ponder ! Thanks again !

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
@GT_B I am just a fan that has watched a lot of film. I don't know all the official terms and play names. My films are more for the fan than the football expert. I hope an expert takes over.

I just want to help the causal fan understand the offense enough to enjoy the offense. I restarted watching football again after seeing this offense (I was a Dan Marino / Don Shula fan until they retired).
Longest, I was also a huge Don Shula /Dan Marino fan. I grew up in Florida and watched every game of the perfect season. It was my freshman year at Tech when Marino came in the game on a Monday night and rallied them to victory. It's funny this comes up today. I live in Michigan now and an associate this morning asks me am I a Lion fan. I replied, "As much as I can be from living here and Calvin Johnson being a part of the team the last several years". But then I went on to discuss the Dolphins over the years, How i could name the players from the early 70's. Not just the stars... Griese, Csonka, Kiick, Garfield, Morris, but also the starting D, Nick Bounticonti, jake scott, manny fernandez, Bill Stanfill (yeah i know he's a dumb f%cking dawg), Bob Matheson,, and vern den herder. I can even name the offensive lineman: Bob Keuchenberg, Larry Little, Jim Mandich etc. Pro football is so much different today. Sorry i took this thread off track but I loved the Dolphins during the 70's and long into the Marino/Shula years.