Film Room Video GT vs BC Offense Series 2

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So many missed blocks! I don't understand after a month of practice how we can be so clueless as WHO to block. Effort was there but execution wasn't.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT's throwing mechanics still look odd to me. It's like he doesn't throw off his back foot. He seems to pivot his whole body as his arm comes forward and throws off his front foot. Weird. I wonder if the coaches just said screw it, do whatever you do as long as the ball gets where it's supposed to.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do any of our abacks really want to block? Those were scoring drives and aback blocking did not look good.
There's way too much thinking going on, the Abacks as well as the OL. I think it really has to do with BC throwing looks at us we're not used. CPJ can say what he always says, but if we're not seeing it everyday in practice, the guys are not gonna be automatic. When they're unsure of their assignment, it takes speed and physicality out of the play, too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well done as always.

You showed an effective dive play to the left, followed by an ineffective dive play to the right. (I think around the 7:38 mark). You point out that the DE goes completely unblocked and stops the play for no gain.

Here is my question. Is it possible that this play was not supposed to be a mirror image of the dive play to the left and CPJ wanted to do something different to the DE on this play? It looked like our guard and tackle get to the second level and are ready to set up a convoy for the runner. Is it possible that the A-back was supposed to execute a trap on the DE? I am just trying to account for why a DE would not even be touched on a dive play like this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There's way too much thinking going on, the Abacks as well as the OL. I think it really has to do with BC throwing looks at us we're not used. CPJ can say what he always says, but if we're not seeing it everyday in practice, the guys are not gonna be automatic. When they're unsure of their assignment, it takes speed and physicality out of the play, too.
CPJ did say (I'm paraphrasing several comments here) that he will give guys a pass if they miss the assignment but there is no excuse for not hitting someone in the mouth on every play. I think he feels like he can correct missed assignments but he can't correct lack of aggression except to bench someone. Hence his saying Braun was going to play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ did say (I'm paraphrasing several comments here) that he will give guys a pass if they miss the assignment but there is no excuse for not hitting someone in the mouth on every play. I think he feels like he can correct missed assignments but he can't correct lack of aggression except to bench someone. Hence his saying Braun was going to play.
He's also said he'd rather have a guy make a mistake going full speed than not. We had guys not sure of who to hit going half speed trying to figure it out on the fly. The the worst of both worlds, missing assignments and not going full speed. Braun's gonna make mistakes but he'll bury the wrong guy.

I guess he didn't like Sham pulling and diving at knees.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
The only problem i had with what CPJ said was the part about "sometimes you've gotta assert your will on the other guy". News flash, the other guy is trying to do the same. Sometimes he wins. It's not all about wanting to or playing physical, better and stronger players win despite your will. I'm not convinced our players are good enough to do what he expects them to do.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Just wondering if carrying out fakes is still coached?? if JT would accelerate and put his hands back together as if he has the ball after he hands it to B back he would freeze the DE and possible make the ally player continue on angle.
Instead he takes two steps and looks back, hell the crowd will tell you what happened do your job, attention to detail we say all the time we dont get the great athletes so we must pay attention to the little things..... allowing JT do get away with that is coaching...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
ABs, OTs, and C seem all too often to fire out in the direction of the blocking target where he was pre-snap instead of taking an angle to go where we expect the defender to be as a result of him flowing to the play. The result is the belly flop behind the defender who has now moved laterally and left the roost. It is a lot like a defender who must take the proper pursuit angle on the ball carrier. I am sure the Coaches know this but the players act like it is something yet to learn. (This observation goes back several teams, not just this game.) The OL sometimes overrun the defender as if we are just not finding our target with our eyes soon enough.

The ABs have to do this in bigger space and they are a little better at pursuit angles than the OL. The AB belly flop is usually from leaving their feet too soon, giving the defender room to "dodge".

These problems are correctable and not related that much to our talent level.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
JT's throwing mechanics still look odd to me. It's like he doesn't throw off his back foot. He seems to pivot his whole body as his arm comes forward and throws off his front foot. Weird. I wonder if the coaches just said screw it, do whatever you do as long as the ball gets where it's supposed to.

QBs are supposed to throw off their front foot. Using the angular momentum of his whole body is not ideal imo because it affects accuracy but is not unusual. In fact, I think Justin keeps square better than Vad.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are just running the option very sloppy overall.

The missed blocking assignments are just the start, but like others have mentioned, JT has some blame too, he's missing reads and also on the pitch relationship he needs to be running out to the edge at full speed and make the pitch key commit one way or the other. Too many times it seems like we are jogging out to the edge and give the defense way too much time to scrape over across and let defenders just kinda linger between the QB and AB. If you watch good option teams they burst out to the edge and force the defensive player to make a really quick decision.

I think when people are asking why are teams like navy seem to run the option better I think it's because they run it a lot faster and it puts more pressure on the defense to make a quick decision.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering if carrying out fakes is still coached?? if JT would accelerate and put his hands back together as if he has the ball after he hands it to B back he would freeze the DE and possible make the ally player continue on angle.
Instead he takes two steps and looks back, hell the crowd will tell you what happened do your job, attention to detail we say all the time we dont get the great athletes so we must pay attention to the little things..... allowing JT do get away with that is coaching...
I have observed and wondered the same thing. JT5 continuing through the action has got be better than not doing so.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
That last drive juke was vintage JT.
Even the best option QBs miss some reads, but I'm sure JT and coach have a higher percentage in mind for future games.
Qua looks like he will be a major weapon at A back.

Hopefully we can get JT some reps then rest him Saturday. Jordan and Marshall need experience in case we need them down the road.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

What else are you going to do with a rSr? If he is comfortable, he'll be better than if he has better mechanics but isn't comfortable. That 4th &19 pass was a rope.