Venable to Oklahoma as new HC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really believe he will be unhappy as a HC, because I think he loves the nitty gritty, and sometimes as HC, you don't have time for that. I could be wrong. I do know he is a motivated and talented DC.

I am surprised that OK did not go after TN's coach, since he played QB for a Natty there.

Heupal was an OC under Bob Stoops. It did not end well there...and I'm sure Stoops had a big say on who would be HC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Clemson still has the most talent in the ACC. That hasn't changed. I would not expect their program to free fall just because their coordinators left.

Dabo also is willing to spend BIG money to find coordinators. He's a "CEO Coach"...so he understands having good coordinators is his ticket success. I believe he took a modest raise in the past to pay coordinators and assistants to keep them at Clemson

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really believe he will be unhappy as a HC, because I think he loves the nitty gritty, and sometimes as HC, you don't have time for that. I could be wrong. I do know he is a motivated and talented DC.

I am surprised that OK did not go after TN's coach, since he played QB for a Natty there.
They may not want to repeat what is happening at Nebraska when they brought back a former natty winning QB.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Could have hired means they would have accepted an offer, if made. You have proof that this would have occurred?

Elliot was interested in us(a bad hire IMO), Venables was not. He didn’t want to make the jump to HC unless it was a really special situation.

I think this may be the end of Clemson’s run after already having a down year and now losing their best coach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Elliot was interested in us(a bad hire IMO), Venables was not. He didn’t want to make the jump to HC unless it was a really special situation.

I think this may be the end of Clemson’s run after already having a down year and now losing their best coach.
Yea, no one will want to take the dc s place because they wont pay more than 2.5 mm for dc. They are fishing at the deep end.

I here miami is hiring the Oregon coach for 8mm.

On another site I saw a comment about the hire being mediocre. Guy responded , " i ll take it! Thats a step up.

I wonder if we are serious about staying competitive.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

They have a bad relationship since Stoops fired Heupel abruptly in the early 2010s

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea, no one will want to take the dc s place because they wont pay more than 2.5 mm for dc. They are fishing at the deep end.

On another site I saw a comment about the hire being mediocre. Guy responded , " i ll take it! Thats a step up.

Miami is siphoning money from their university hospital profits to start covering their athletic expenditures to catch up. I am not sure we have a way to legally increase and cover our football expenditures other than donations.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Miami is siphoning money from their university hospital profits to start covering their athletic expenditures to catch up. I am not sure we have a way to legally increase and cover our football expenditures other than donations.

I actually like TStan's approach to making connection with the startup-scene at GT. If we can get one passionate fan who is running a start-up that Unicorns, then we are set...

It's a bit like playing the lottery or investing in a new digital currency...low investment with an extremely low chance of success and a disproportionately huge payout. But don't plan on it to pay the mortgage or send the kids to school!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

They did according to some of the reports out of Knoxville. Another year or two it could happen. He seems to be a good fit at Tennessee and fans there are for the most part happy with him. Unfortunately UT has pulled some good recruits out of GA that we could use and we have enough competition for good players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dabo also is willing to spend BIG money to find coordinators. He's a "CEO Coach"...so he understands having good coordinators is his ticket success. I believe he took a modest raise in the past to pay coordinators and assistants to keep them at Clemson
I could see Joe Brady going there as OC. Just 100 miles down the road. Article I read in our paper indicated he liked to pass more than Rhule wanted and they were at odds over his play calling. Rhule will probably be available in a year or two himself.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

You're last sentence says it all! With all the trouble Tech has right now staying competitive, the only new coach we have is either an OC or QB coach. More of the same as I see it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Clemson still has the most talent in the ACC. That hasn't changed. I would not expect their program to free fall just because their coordinators left.
They have a stud qb recruit from Austin West Lake .

Was in San Antoino watching grandson play in hs playoffs that was before the AWL game.
We won but watched a minute of next game 56-0 against undefeated but smaller team. Next week they won 70-7 and this week they play Katy ( west houston power)
Last year they won every game and State.
Kids got funny name KLUBNIK, but in 2 years he has crazy yards passing and close to 90 tds w 8 int.

Clemson is reloading.

At least he is only 6'-2 1/2".

Jmonty71

Banned
I was going to say....at least he will instill defense to OU, in the BIG12. Oh wait......SEC. Yeah Oklahoma is screwed. ,