Venable to Oklahoma as new HC

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
AD leaves, Venable leaves. Seems like everyone is bailing out. Does this mean that Dabo is leaving?
I always thought that he was the next guy at Alabama.
Sabin retiring after the playoffs?
Alabama did play with a little extra motivation last night!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Could have hired means they would have accepted an offer, if made. You have proof that this would have occurred?
I think a lot of us would be surprised at a list of "possibles" that said no thanks before even being interviewed. Tech has a lot of plusses as a HC destination, but there are definitely places with far fewer hurdles to being successful, IMO.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing’s finalized re: Venables, although everything seems to be pointing that way. He’s definitely mellowed a bit and I hope he’s learned a thing or two being under Stoops and Swinney. 5 years ago I would’ve said no way: he had one of those personalities that could grate on you if the chips were down. He also had a tendency to get too cute with his defenses which allowed opponents to gash them for big plays. Regardless, he’s ready to be a head guy and I’d happily welcome him back to Norman.

He’s definitely going to have a warmer welcome given the way LR departed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
AD leaves, Venable leaves. Seems like everyone is bailing out. Does this mean that Dabo is leaving?
I always thought that he was the next guy at Alabama.
Sabin retiring after the playoffs?
Alabama did play with a little extra motivation last night!
I think something must be up to see 3 top guys leave a program as successful as Clemson. Dabo is not going anywhere, he's certainly not a candidate to replace Saban although he was at one time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think something must be up to see 3 top guys leave a program as successful as Clemson. Dabo is not going anywhere, he's certainly not a candidate to replace Saban although he was at one time.
The person who volunteers to step in and replace Saban as the HC at Bama might qualify for the craziest human being on the planet. Although he will certainly be crazy rich too. It's a conundrum here and I may just send my resume to the Bama AD when Nick steps down. Will that job be posted on Indeed or similar websites? I have tried crazy before, I just haven't tried crazy rich yet and I think I could pull that off if given the chance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The person who volunteers to step in and replace Saban as the HC at Bama might qualify for the craziest human being on the planet. Although he will certainly be crazy rich too. It's a conundrum here and I may just send my resume to the Bama AD when Nick steps down. Will that job be posted on Indeed or similar websites? I have tried crazy before, I just haven't tried crazy rich yet and I think I could pull that off if given the chance.
The current inside scoop is that it's going to be Lane Kiffin. He ran an exciting brand of football while there and still has a lot of fans. And with what he's doing at Mississippi, that only adds to the allure. If not Kiffin, I expect a former NFL guy along with unlimited resources.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just think about all the changes in the Coastal division:
Dook, VT, UVA,, and probably UM, starting with new HCs
Clempsun probably losing DC and OC
We replace OC and maybe change DC.
That's a lot of musical chairs in one division.
If, and it's a big if, we can get our act together this year.........
Gladly saying bye bye to the sr and sr plus stud qbs at wake, virginia, pitt, and unc.
See u guys w your new qb!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just think about all the changes in the Coastal division:
Dook, VT, UVA,, and probably UM, starting with new HCs
Clempsun probably losing DC and OC
We replace OC and maybe change DC.
That's a lot of musical chairs in one division.
If, and it's a big if, we can get our act together this year.........

ACC has never been this ripe for a team like GT to at least win our division and maybe even the ACC. I think we have the players to do it, however the coaching...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Will we finally be able to be on par with Clemson again? Looks like Clemson is going to be going though some rebuilding again ...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really believe he will be unhappy as a HC, because I think he loves the nitty gritty, and sometimes as HC, you don't have time for that. I could be wrong. I do know he is a motivated and talented DC.

I am surprised that OK did not go after TN's coach, since he played QB for a Natty there.