Vegas Over/Under Win Totals for 2016

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These over and under lines are merely a reflection of where the collective heads of the masses are on GT's chances and not the musings of an "expert". They want betting a certain way.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Just purchased Athlons preseason magazine. They have us 5th in the Coastal finishing 6-6 overall and 3-5 in the ACC. Have us playing Cincy in the St Petersburg Bowl. They have Unc, Miami, Pitt and VT ahead of us. Duke in 6th with VA in its usual spot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just purchased Athlons preseason magazine. They have us 5th in the Coastal finishing 6-6 overall and 3-5 in the ACC. Have us playing Cincy in the St Petersburg Bowl. They have Unc, Miami, Pitt and VT ahead of us. Duke in 6th with VA in its usual spot.
Thats only a 300%increase in the acc.

We will do much better than THAT.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/story.cfm/story/1772827

GT at 6.5

Last year we were at 7.5

2016 opponents in schedule order:
  • Boston College - 6.5
  • Mercer - N/A
  • Vanderbilt - 5
  • Clemson - 10.5
  • Miami - 6.5
  • Pittsburgh - 7
  • Georgia Southern - 8
  • Duke - 5.5
  • North Carolina - 8.5
  • Virginia Tech - 6.5
  • Virginia - 4.5
  • Georgia - 8.5
I have said it before, and I will say it again, the first game is the tone setter and not just for Tech. Both of these teams are coming off disappointing years filled with frustrating close losses. Both teams have their backs against the wall from the get go and desperately need a good start to the season. In my opinion, this game will be critical to both teams. One will use this as a springboard to a reasonably good season, the other will struggle to win 5 games. We will see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have said it before, and I will say it again, the first game is the tone setter and not just for Tech. Both of these teams are coming off disappointing years filled with frustrating close losses. Both teams have their backs against the wall from the get go and desperately need a good start to the season. In my opinion, this game will be critical to both teams. One will use this as a springboard to a reasonably good season, the other will struggle to win 5 games. We will see.
The way my thinking leans also.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yep, but I bet every one of those teams ahead of us has a defensive coordinator thinking: " Damn it, I really hate those guys" We will see. I am kind of pessimistic myself, (being a Tech fan it goes with the territory) but it sure is nice not having to face Notre Dame or Florida State. I think we could win anywhere from 5 to 9. It is just that close.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I do believe the first game is very important (because it is the next one on the schedule), I challenge the notion that it carries any more weight than that. Predicting the rest of the season outcome based on a single first game is not a process that holds water. Time and time again throughout the history of this sport we love, we have seen teams go either direction after first game wins or losses. In fact, I would say that teams change personality most after game one, than any other game on the schedule. First games give teams the feedback needed to refine their approach and hone their practice regimens etc. It does so in a way that playing yourself in the pre-season can never really do.

Players deal with wins and losses very differently than fans do. As fans, we will immediately extrapolate wildly and try to adjust our expectations based on the first outcome. Players will go to the film room, learn from their mistakes, and hit the practice field with a new sense of resolve (if after a loss) or possibly a greater level of confidence (after a win). Generally speaking, the closer you are to the situation, with players being the closest, followed by coaches, the more control you have in the process. The more control you have, the more likely you are to ignore longer term future consequences of the loss and pay attention to process issues in the short term.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
While I do believe the first game is very important (because it is the next one on the schedule), I challenge the notion that it carries any more weight than that. Predicting the rest of the season outcome based on a single first game is not a process that holds water. Time and time again throughout the history of this sport we love, we have seen teams go either direction after first game wins or losses. In fact, I would say that teams change personality most after game one, than any other game on the schedule. First games give teams the feedback needed to refine their approach and hone their practice regimens etc. It does so in a way that playing yourself in the pre-season can never really do.

Players deal with wins and losses very differently than fans do. As fans, we will immediately extrapolate wildly and try to adjust our expectations based on the first outcome. Players will go to the film room, learn from their mistakes, and hit the practice field with a new sense of resolve (if after a loss) or possibly a greater level of confidence (after a win). Generally speaking, the closer you are to the situation, with players being the closest, followed by coaches, the more control you have in the process. The more control you have, the more likely you are to ignore longer term future consequences of the loss and pay attention to process issues in the short term.
Well said and I agree with this in its entirety.

I think the previous comment was not a generic statement, which would instantly be refuted by your insight, but was simply a prediction based on what we know Tech's particular liabilities are going into this year. In other words, he was not talking about mental attitude and a team's ability to practice and get better but more about what that first game might reveal about Tech's athletic shortcomings. So, for instance, Tech should have gotten better last year after the Notre Dame game. But any gains Tech may have made were wiped out by the continuing limitations of the team such as poor offensive line, inexperience in the running game and below par play by wide receivers. All of those were revealed in the first big test of the season and were only mitigated slightly as the season went on.

So, this is not an argument to what you are saying. As I said, I agree with you. I just think when we are predicting over and under, which is itself a silly thing to do, you go with a theory. The previous person was stating a theory, which is not too outrageous, which is that Boston College and Tech both have apparent deficiencies with their teams and this game may reveal which of those have been handled and which ones may be a continuing problem for the season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Boomer is absolutely correct in his analysis. However, these are not normal times and these are two teams that will be struggling to set the tone for the rest of the season with the specter of what happened last season hanging over their collective heads. That said, Boomer is correct in saying that players and coaches have a different mindset (thank the Lord) than we do as fans. It was not my intention to extrapolate the result of a first game to the rest of the season just to point out that this particular first game may have greater than ordinary repercussions for both Georgia Tech and Boston College.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the last 112 years of GT football, I figured 7 wins, but that included the bowl game. So 6.5 is very reasonable to me.

He likes focusing on the OL for predicting the next season. If we have continuity of the OL performance this year, I'd easily take the under. More like 5.
Phil Steele: 2016 Career Starts Offensive Line

Summary: GT brings back 52 career starts on the OL, which puts us 81st in the country and 11th in the ACC.

UNC, Pitt, VT, and Miami are all in the top 25 nationally and top 4 in the ACC. UGA is #13 nationally.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Phil Steele: 2016 Career Starts Offensive Line

Summary: GT brings back 52 career starts on the OL, which puts us 81st in the country and 11th in the ACC.

UNC, Pitt, VT, and Miami are all in the top 25 nationally and top 4 in the ACC. UGA is #13 nationally.
I know Phil Steele loves that number for his predictions, but I see hope in it. We have 52 starts coming back, but a lot of young guys got baptized in the fire last year. It's the start of a young core group who has a chance to gel together over the next couple years.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I look at the roster for this season and see what looks like 9 starters on each side of the ball retuning next year. That's a lot. The glaring concern is who will be the QB. All that experience and talent will be held back with shaky QB play. But back to the W/L total. I was in Vegas and laid $100 on us to cover 6.5. To me seemed like a gimmie.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I look at the roster for this season and see what looks like 9 starters on each side of the ball retuning next year. That's a lot. The glaring concern is who will be the QB. All that experience and talent will be held back with shaky QB play. But back to the W/L total. I was in Vegas and laid $100 on us to cover 6.5. To me seemed like a gimmie.
With this schedule, I think you just might collect. I would not call it a "gimme" but compared to years past this schedule is somewhat more manageable. A lot of questions remain to be answered about how some of these teams will adjust to new coaches, schemes, etc. I can see us winning anything from 5 (tough luck for you) to as many as 9 not likely but could happen. It just depends. One caveat, I do not ever remember an upcoming season with so many opponents having new coaches.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Last year was an anomaly, with a mix of a brutal schedule and a ton of injuries submarining Georgia Tech's season. The Yellow Jackets have a good chance for a significant rebound, and I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they were in the mix for the Coastal by year's end. As our Andrea Adelson pointed out, the range for Georgia Tech could be anywhere from another missed bowl game to a New Year's Six bid. Right now, I'd take the over on 6.5, but probably say seven or eight wins is the most likely outcome.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/...emsons-secondary-brad-kaaya-vs-deshaun-watson