Vad's hope 2

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I really like what happened to our team Saturday. First and foremost, our defense made the difference. We won a game 28-20, that we wouldn't have won the last 2 years without that defensive production.

Secondly, I love that we won the game and had to overcome MAJOR adversity to do so, down 2 scores twice.

But, the thing that I'm most excited about is that it is making our offense focus on becoming great at the option again. This is what I alluded to in my post before the game. Vad is a great QB, but the system has to be where he excels, not outside of it, but within it, making it more dynamic. The way UNC gave us so much trouble is going to make these guys focus on being the best option team they can be, so that even the good teams, even the good schemes can only contain our big plays, and not really stop us. Doing this will make Vad impossible to contain. It will be pick your poison. Nothing good will be able to come out of it for the defense. Either play fundamentally sound defense and get death marched or cheat and get burned for the big play by a great QB to a capable WR. CPJ is using that UNC game is the opportunity to make our guys turn that option game up as well, if you're seeing/hearing his comments. Of course it's not just Vad, it's all of our blocking too, especially the perimeter guys (OT's, AB's, WR's). I hope we can get that much better at it on a short week facing one of the best defenses in the nation. But, hopefully the old addage will be true, the most improvement you make is between the 2nd and 3rd game. And, with Elon and a bye week to start, UNC was more like our 2nd game. We've traditionally gotten better at it as the year goes anyway, but I think that is going to be intensified this year. Get these guys focused on what they have to do to make the defense pay on the option. Get Vad focused on getting that read right and not letting them dictate it with their schemes/games/fakes. I love that Sims showed such tough running ability. That will help a LOT. The better he can be, the more the DE will have to commit to him to really stop him, making the read a little easier.

I'm excited about this Thursday. I hope we crush them.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I too am excited and I hope we crush them. I will be there.

First, I think not enough credit (not directed at you Vamos, just in general) goes to Mr. Robbie Godhigh. If Vad is our leader, then Robbie may be our X-Factor. Robbie always seems to step up and be the go to guy to make the big play. I also think Sims, Mason, and Smelter may be stepping up in this role as well.

Second, I agree that our offense (Vad included) needs to focus and become better at running our base package flexbone. And, I think as the season progresses this will happen. Also, I feel like we need to focus and progress in all facets, not just our base but our diamond formation as well.

I have said this before and I will say it again. A win is a win and I don't care what we run as long as we get the win. That being said, I feel that we have had success running the ball and passing the ball out of the diamond formation. Go back and watch the tape, the games will show that we have had great production when running it. I say that to say this.... When we face a defense with more speed, discipline, and hogmollies we will need to be EFFICIENT.

Now by being efficient I am saying whatever we run the best or execute the best then that is what we need to run. Whether we execute better out of the base, diamond, or a mixture. Do it and be efficient and BALANCED.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind the opposing defense schemes are getting better. Cross firing on the line, more unpredictable CB firing/blitz, and moving the MLB +8 yards back to prevent being blocked while on the way to the pitch man. The opposing coaches will get better at changing up the defense and causing blocking schemes to be be off.

Paul is coming up with answers: Quick passes to the WR to punish firing CB and teaching Vad to see cross firing. The 8 yard back MLB should open up the middle as long as we are not being dominated by the DL.

Vad is adding his own power to Paul's game. He is adding more of a passing threat that should help keep the defense honest. Vad is able to turn about 65-75% of bad plays into something.

Vad's Saturday game was not as bad as it seemed. Sure he missed a few reads, but second looks with less emotion show he did better than first glance. It takes a whole team: Vad to make reads, people to block, and people to run. 2, 3, and 4 quarter Vad had less to do with the need to punt than the blocking and running part.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I believe this will be the best defense we will face this year. If we move the ball well on them, nobody should be able to stop us. VT, Miami, UGA, and Clemson in that order are the best and most athletic on the schedule. Our defense should be able to shut down VTs offense, giving us plenty of opportunities for us to score.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I dont want CPJ to force the issue with it. Do what Vad does best and continue to incrementally impliment the offense to Vad.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Anyone else notice how on at least two plays out in the perimeter (maybe three), our ball carrier just ran right to or near where a defender was cut blocked which allowed the defender to make a play from the ground? Or at least that is what it looked like to me.

Big Al

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone else notice how on at least two plays out in the perimeter (maybe three), our ball carrier just ran right to or near where a defender was cut blocked which allowed the defender to make a play from the ground? Or at least that is what it looked like to me.
I noticed that as well where the lead blocker sealed the corner to the outside and the ball carrier did not cut inside the block. I hope some of that was the condition of the field and the runner feeling like they did not have sure footing. But give some credit to the UNC corners, they tackled well.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I thought to myself, "We miss Orwin Smith". Some of that I think was very good individual play by the CB and great coaching by Koening. If you're getting blocked, there's still a position you can be in to maximize your disruption of the play. It seemed, even when they were being blocked effectively, they made sure they were in the right position to make the AB have to either bounce or cut up, rather than just a sprint on the track.

That said, no way Orwin lets something like that stop him from making a nice play.

I think Godhigh makes a better play in those situations as well. I also liked what I saw from Zenon in his vision and cuts to maximize his yardage. Bostic and Days did not make plays and did not maximize their opportunities.

I'd like to see more of Perkins. CPJ bragged on him a ton in the post game comments, saying what a great kid he is, how hard he's continued to work, and how glad he is that he's finally contributing.

I'm also ready to see Deon Hill back. I'm sure he won the starting job for a reason.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, how many of you guys thought that the Heels wouldn't get the ball back when they punted to us with 6:30ish left in the game? I'm trying hard to remember the last time we closed out a 1 possession game like that. Ugag in 2008?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just curious, how many of you guys thought that the Heels wouldn't get the ball back when they punted to us with 6:30ish left in the game? I'm trying hard to remember the last time we closed out a 1 possession game like that. Ugag in 2008?
Feel like there were other games like that where we just chewed up the clock to clinch the win but can't think of specific games.

It's been a while since we had a come from behind victory like this though. Vad, Tony Zenon, and Godhigh made some sick plays with the ball to convert some very crucial 3rd downs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Two weeks ago against Duke? 1 min 30 left while Duke had 3 time outs left. Of course, that wasn't a one score game.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
When then went to punt I said " WTF? They are not going to get the ball back."

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Feel like there were other games like that where we just chewed up the clock to clinch the win but can't think of specific games.

It's been a while since we had a come from behind victory like this though. Vad, Tony Zenon, and Godhigh made some sick plays with the ball to convert some very crucial 3rd downs.
Yeah I'm sure we've done it too but my memory is stuck on our inability to close out Utah and Miami. FSU in 09 was one but they hadn't stopped us all night. We had just punted away to the heels about 2 minutes earlier. I was nervous. Didn't Vad hit Smelter for a first down on that final drive too? That's all I'm getting at - Vad was a big reason the Heels didn't get the ball again and to me it felt like it had been a while since we closed out a game in that fashion.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yeah I'm sure we've done it too but my memory is stuck on our inability to close out Utah and Miami. FSU in 09 was one but they hadn't stopped us all night. We had just punted away to the heels about 2 minutes earlier. I was nervous. Didn't Vad hit Smelter for a first down on that final drive too? That's all I'm getting at - Vad was a big reason the Heels didn't get the ball again and to me it felt like it had been a while since we closed out a game in that fashion.
Good points. Our ability to grind out first downs and make those critical gains on 3rd down is affected a ton by a QB with Vad's ability. Josh Nesbitt had that ability. He could get 4 when he needed 3. Tevin was a good QB, and I miss him, but he lacked that ability to make the crucial play. You have to have some eliteness to your game to be able to do that. Josh had elite running strength (and a very strong underrated arm). Vad has similar running strength as well and is a better passer than Josh and Tevin. Josh also had Dwyer and Bay Bay to count on to help in those situations. Hopefully Sims will continue to make his senior year memorable and it looks like Smelter is doing his best poor man's Bay Bay impression. I think he's got Bay Bay type ability minus the elite top speed.