Vad's ability to improvise?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I am going to sound like a broken record but if you are always depending on one guy to make plays by himself to beat your opponents, you are probably doing something wrong.

It is amazing to me how good a QB looks depends almost entirely oneveryone else doing their jobs. Logan Thomas was a heisman contender two years ago then he started sucking last year. Did he regress that much or did they actually lose a ton of his supporting cast.

Vad can be a great athlete and a great QB but like every other QB, he needs a good supporting cast to maximize his potential.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the biggest differences between Logan v Bama and Logan v GT was that his receivers caught catchable passes against us. He may have thrown more of them, but I think one leads to the other. When your receivers are catching the ball, you can relax and just throw rather than trying to be too perfect. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sayin I'm no expert by no means. Just think we need to give our QBs some easier passes to complete for positive yardage to let them get in a rythem, and to throw the defense off. Against VT from under center, Vad really didn't even stand a chance. He had a defender on his back from the time he snapped the ball. I would have liked to see the diamond some so Vad wouldn't have had to rush his reads as much. With the shorter passes, it wouldn't have taken as long for plays to develop. Getting rid of the ball with set feet to an open receiver, not running for your life and throwing the ball to a receiver hoping he beats his man.

The pistol/diamond isn't some magic formation that suddenly allows you to start passing. Just because Vad takes a shotgun snap vs. a snap under center doesn't mean our OL's will suddenly stop whiffing left and right. Our running plays would just have gotten blown up 3-5 yards deep instead of at the LOS. We don't have the personnel/practice to suddenly go air-raid, so I don't think it's worth switching to shotgun and telegraphing the fact that we are going to pass. At least in flexbone we have the "unexpected" factor going for us.

The flexbone is what we're best at. If we're making mistakes all over the place running what we're best at, why should we suddenly expect to be able to shift to something we don't practice as much and be successful with that?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The pistol/diamond isn't some magic formation that suddenly allows you to start passing. Just because Vad takes a shotgun snap vs. a snap under center doesn't mean our OL's will suddenly stop whiffing left and right. Our running plays would just have gotten blown up 3-5 yards deep instead of at the LOS. We don't have the personnel/practice to suddenly go air-raid, so I don't think it's worth switching to shotgun and telegraphing the fact that we are going to pass. At least in flexbone we have the "unexpected" factor going for us.

The flexbone is what we're best at. If we're making mistakes all over the place running what we're best at, why should we suddenly expect to be able to shift to something we don't practice as much and be successful with that?

I won't speak for the poster you were responding to, but what I was referring to earlier in the thread was that I felt like we should have been in the shotgun in obvious passing downs. For instance, the entire last drive, when everyone in the stadium knew we were passing on every play...that would have been the obvious time to put the QB 3 steps back from center to give him a bit more time to read the defense and/or escape the rush.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer

Vad was getting pressured so much against VT, he was rushing his reads and throws from under center even the few times there wasn't pressure. He seemed more comfortable from the gun