Vad Lee or Justin Thomas

gtdrew

Banned
It'll be Vad, but I could easily see a scenario where they have a handful of packages to emphasize JT's speed/athleticism.

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Well it isn't as if Vad isn't being pushed by the coaches and staff to be the face of the team, which he is. My understanding is JT is a quiet dude, not in a standoffish way though, just more laid back. Vad is just more outgoing. As far as the QB competition, Vad loses his job three ways:

1. In camp outright
2. Through injury
3. He stinks up the joint

There is NO way you take away the starting position from a kid or any player if they are successful on the field.

I agree 100%. The best player needs to be on the field. I guess what I am trying to say is AJC and other GT news sites (and some fans) already have in their mind that Vad is the starter. He is publicly a better leader than JT. That isn't to say that JT doesn't text/call teammates for 7 on 7's and encourage practice time throughout the week. I am not saying he does these things either, I am just saying we don't know. He could be a fantastic leader in person but just doesn't publicize himself like Vad does. If JT were to read any threads or news articles about GT, he would instantly feel inferior to Vad. I am almost willing to bet that Vad will have a huge line on Fan day while JT sits with an empty table after signing a handful of autographs. I just don't understand it.

This thread is better than most other boards I am in. Most of the other boards are already on the Vad bandwagon and think it is ultimately impossible for JT to start over him.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad is constantly communicating with recruits on twitter. It's obvious that he pays a lot of attention to the recruiting game. Several commits have mentioned Vad being very welcoming on their visits.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
wouldn't it be similar to last year? vad starts the season. jt gets some chances. and if he proves he can handle it, at some point in the season, jt will begin getting the 3rd and 4th drives to determine which qb gets the rest of the game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
wouldn't it be similar to last year? vad starts the season. jt gets some chances. and if he proves he can handle it, at some point in the season, jt will begin getting the 3rd and 4th drives to determine which qb gets the rest of the game.

Last year, it was more of Tevin's consistent mistakes that forced CPJ's hand than Vad proving he can handle it. I remember the breaking point: 3rd quarter of the BYU game. We were only down by 10 points or something until Tevin threw an INT.

After that game, the Tevin 2-series and Vad 2-series started. Before that, Vad only came in when the game was pretty much decided either way.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
Last year, it was more of Tevin's consistent mistakes that forced CPJ's hand than Vad proving he can handle it. I remember the breaking point: 3rd quarter of the BYU game. We were only down by 10 points or something until Tevin threw an INT.

After that game, the Tevin 2-series and Vad 2-series started. Before that, Vad only came in when the game was pretty much decided either way.
Then let's hope for tech's sake that vad starts every game and takes most of the snaps this season. Given jt's athleticism, you'd think that they could devise some plays where both qbs can get in the game at the same time.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Then let's hope for tech's sake that vad starts every game and takes most of the snaps this season. Given jt's athleticism, you'd think that they could devise some plays where both qbs can get in the game at the same time.

Who knows. CPJ has been talking up Justin's ability since last year. If Justin gets decent amount of playing time even though Vad is playing well, that'll say a lot about Justin's grasp of the offense.

It'd be a good problem to have.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
It's so nice having two quarterbacks that I feel could easily take us to the next level with a 3rd Tim B, that I think is more than capable at running this offense.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
So the idea of getting both guys on the field together has been mentioned a couple times. What would possible scenarios entail? I would assume Vad under center, then JT would probably fit best at AB, right?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to see Vad under center and JT as a WR and do the reverse.

I want to see JT run the two minute drill at the end of the second Q with Vad at WR.

Will not happen....

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Will not happen....

I agree mainly because I don't think a position switch is going to be that easy. Justin would have to beat out the rest of the guys in the new position.

Maybe we'll see a trick play or two with both of them on the field.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The 2nd string QB is one play away from being the 1st string QB especially in this offense with QB keepers (and yes I've seen the article on how our guy doesn't get hit as much as most people think.) CPJ will never crosstrain a guy who is a play away from seeing the field. If JT was 3rd or 4th string then sure. I also think CPJ is too conservative to draw up a bunch of trick plays with 2 QBs in there. We can hope he installs one play and we see it 2-3 times this year. We need more plays like this one:

That's my favorite option pass play we have ever run and it was so easy

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
That's my favorite option pass play we have ever run and it was so easy

Man, that was such a beautifully designed play. I can imagine their pass rushers all thinking "wait... a... minute..." and by that time, it was too late.

:smug:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Man, that was such a beautifully designed play. I can imagine their pass rushers all thinking "wait... a... minute..." and by that time, it was too late.

:smug:

Considering that's what I was thinking when it happened I don't blame them. Normally I like to jump, yell and scream at the TV when at home watching a GT game. For that TD I calmly stood up and said "that was f*cking awesome." It was all execution. Laskey and everyone else went right, Sims blew past his blocking assignment to the left where Vad rolled out and it was pitch and catch. The beauty of that play is it was low risk. If Sims has someone guarding him and the pass isn't there, chuck the ball as hard as you can out of the endzone and stop the clock.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering that's what I was thinking when it happened I don't blame them. Normally I like to jump, yell and scream at the TV when at home watching a GT game. For that TD I calmly stood up and said "that was f*cking awesome." It was all execution. Laskey and everyone else went right, Sims blew past his blocking assignment to the left where Vad rolled out and it was pitch and catch. The beauty of that play is it was low risk. If Sims has someone guarding him and the pass isn't there, chuck the ball as hard as you can out of the endzone and stop the clock.

Laskey and Sims are never on the field at the same time on a offensive play.