Vad Lee or Justin Thomas

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
If Vad starts and manages us through the gauntlet of UNC, VT and Miami (even with a loss in the mix), I can't see CPJ moving away from the steady hand. That said, the middle of the season is much more manageable, and I expect JT to get meaningful reps during that time. I think Vad is the starter barring injuries, but depending on what JT can demonstrate, we may see a QB platoon like last year.

Like ramblinvak said, it is a good problem to have!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only downside to platooning the two guys is that neither one racks up monster numbers that attract national publicity and gives us that big time boost in recruiting blue chip dual threat qb's.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Eric said:
CPJ loves JT.

Does he dislike Vad? I really don't get how CPJ would allow himself to outwardly "love" his 2nd string QB. 2nd string is CPJ's choice afterall. If his "love" is all about JT's potential, then would that not be hypocritical after his stance during last year's Tevin vs. Vad clamoring?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has NEVER had a QB. that WILL be as good as JT.WILL be. At some point in his career he is going to be one of the best that you will ever see for this to offense. I like Vad and Tim an awful lot also, but they; at somepoint will take second stage. IMO;

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I really like JT and expect him to get significant snaps, but Vads work ethic and leadership traits are gonna be hard to beat out. If JT doesn't atleast meet Vad on these I see Vad as our starter. I'd rather have a little less talent who get 110% out of everybody than more talent and not a leader. However if vad messes up and JT comes in and shows out he could takeover at some point.

Kcsunshine

Georgia Tech Fan
I truly believe JT is waiting patiently in the wings and when he gets his chance he will seize the QB starter position. He will be a very solid passer and he is extremely elusive and fast. If he gets the edge, no defender is going to tackle him . JT is legit IMO . JT will take PJ's offense to a whole new level that we haven't seen yet.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I think through the first few games of the season, we will see what we saw last year, with Vad and JT splitting time at QB at first then CPJ playing whoever plays better. By that point if either of the QBs have separated themselves from the other, he will remain the starter

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Vad has the better frame, bigger arm, and has the vocal leadership we haven't had at QB in way too long. That being said, he needs to improve on his bad habit of throwing off his back foot and throwing into coverage.

I don't like JT's throwing motion and haven't really seen him stretch the field with his arm strength, but he does keep his eyes downfield and seems to have a better knack at finding the underneath receivers. Of course we all know he's tricky to get a hand on.

In summary, we need to find a way to get both of them on the field. I think CPJ liked it more than he let on last year to have the change of pace at QB.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Vad is my pick for ACC player of the year. I listened to Ken yesterday on the radio and it's Vad as the starter.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad has the better frame, bigger arm, and has the vocal leadership we haven't had at QB in way too long. That being said, he needs to improve on his bad habit of throwing off his back foot and throwing into coverage.

I don't like JT's throwing motion and haven't really seen him stretch the field with his arm strength, but he does keep his eyes downfield and seems to have a better knack at finding the underneath receivers. Of course we all know he's tricky to get a hand on.

In summary, we need to find a way to get both of them on the field. I think CPJ liked it more than he let on last year to have the change of pace at QB.

I just don't get all of the JT hype. I think he's going to be a great player but Vad has proven abilities in game situations while JT has not. I've been to all open scrimmages and the spring game and have seen JT go against the 2nd string defense mostly. He's looked good at times and pedestrian at others. His quickness is evident but Vad has had just as many rushing TD's in practice against the 1st string defense.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
"It’s very unique because, just being in the locker room, having Tevin there, he’s always been the leader. I’d watch him, and when he’d get ready to go to the meetings, I’d follow right behind him. Now I look down to the left and he’s not there, so it’s all on my shoulders to get to places on time and do things right because I know others are following me."

Vad Lee
and that to me speaks volumes of where Vad is at as a leader and QB. I take nothing away from JT he's a tremendous athlete but at the QB position leadership is as or more important than physical attributes and as has been pointed out Vad has those physical attributes in spades! There was a comment made about Vad throwing off his back foot, I think most of that was due to the rush getting to him more quickly than he would have liked. That's an issue that I think will not be as much a problem this year with the improved line play.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad's leadership is becoming way to important to bench him. Both have the same number of pros and cons. Just don't see JTs speed being that big of a difference from Vad to override his size, experience, and leadership qualities. Pretty sure Vad is the best recruiter at Tech right now.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Ain't it Tech's luck that we have 2 QB's with such great potential only a year apart?

I think it'll be almost all Vad early. You don't want a RS Freshman with no game experience taking to many meaningful snaps in the critical conference games we have early, unless he's at Manzeil's level.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I like what Vad brings to the table at the moment. I think however that this offense, atleast the ones we have seen over the past 5 years suit JT better.

I am hoping for more of the 49's pistol/shotgun offense that they were running with Colin. I think that would go a long way to downplay the negative recruiting against Tech

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
How do you guys know that JT isn't a very good leader? I have no doubt Vad is a good leader through his tweets but I don't know JT personally so I don't know his leadership ability. Just because JT doesn't tweet publicly about setting up 7 on 7's doesn't mean he's a bad leader.

Georgia Tech media is already treating Vad Lee like he's the one on campus that it may even get into JT's mind psychologically that he is inferior. I just wish the media and the fans would keep everything an open playing field like the players and coaches do.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
How do you guys know that JT isn't a very good leader? I have no doubt Vad is a good leader through his tweets but I don't know JT personally so I don't know his leadership ability. Just because JT doesn't tweet publicly about setting up 7 on 7's doesn't mean he's a bad leader.

Georgia Tech media is already treating Vad Lee like he's the one on campus that it may even get into JT's mind psychologically that he is inferior. I just wish the media and the fans would keep everything an open playing field like the players and coaches do.

Well it isn't as if Vad isn't being pushed by the coaches and staff to be the face of the team, which he is. My understanding is JT is a quiet dude, not in a standoffish way though, just more laid back. Vad is just more outgoing. As far as the QB competition, Vad loses his job three ways:

1. In camp outright
2. Through injury
3. He stinks up the joint

There is NO way you take away the starting position from a kid or any player if they are successful on the field.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Vad does have the advantage of being in the system longer than JT plus the game experience from last year. He's shown well in games and have a better grasp of what CPJ wants out of his quarterback. I don't anyone taking anything away from JT from what I've read or seen. He's a tremendously gifted athlete and I think he's going to be handful for the opposition but at this stage he is behind Vad in term of his development as a QB in this offense.