Vad Lee Interview on 790 the Zone

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely believe Vad is a great kid, and I do believe that PJ is a very stubborn coach, one who wants to win mind you, but VERY stubborn.

I still believe that our talent level has dropped to a level that when we play against "grown men" on the D side of the ball, we are in trouble, no matter WHO the QB is we use. IMO, until the O-line talent and RB talent improve significantly, we will be a 7-9 win team at the most, depending on how the schedule plays out and how the ball bounces in close games. The thing that really concerns me about going into next year is the D dropping off with the loss of JA and Jemea......

Anyway, I wish nothing but success for VL. He represented the Institute with class and dignity.....

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
One missed block / read blah blah blah.....that is true of ANY offense. I have heard so many ridiculous complaints about CPJ and his offense over the last few years......can't get a good defense because they practice against the TO, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is when the QB doesn't have his head in the game, no matter no matter what you do, you are not going to get the desired results.
You're right about the QB not having his head in the game. The issues for us to resolve is that Vad didn't get the expanded offense he desired as he didn't master the basics. My point about the blocking is that our offense is hard to run in all areas, blocking included. Vad would have appeared to have run the base offense better with better O-Line play and the O-Line would have looked better if Vad ran the base offense better.

Animal02

Banned
You're right about the QB not having his head in the game. The issues for us to resolve is that Vad didn't get the expanded offense he desired as he didn't master the basics. My point about the blocking is that our offense is hard to run in all areas, blocking included. Vad would have appeared to have run the base offense better with better O-Line play and the O-Line would have looked better if Vad ran the base offense better.

Of course, but I do not think it is because our offense is that more difficult to run than any other. I do think talent and experience was suffering form injuries.......and also think basic technique coaching was lacking as well....i.e trying to cut block on a drop back pass.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Basically at the end he said that if the QB, BB and wide receivers was as good as Nesbitt, Dwyer and BayBay, they could win ACC championships. Well at least he included himself as an issue.
My thought too...
Much more will be made of the interview than probably should be, but that is to be expected.

I don't think Vad through anyone under the bus.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
And this is our problem. Coach seems more interested in winning his way and not maximizing his available talent.

I am not behind the scenes by any means. So on the surface it comes across to the average person that this is exactly what is going on.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
And just to piggy back here... Vad had several runs last season (2012) of 20+ yards or more. Problem was, Vad was running out of the Pistol Spread in 2012 not the flexbone.
Now that you mention that I do seem to recall that all of his long runs with the exception of maybe 2 IIRC were from the pistol. Nevertheless, I still hate to see the kid go but I believe it will be benificial for Tech and him.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
My thought too...
Much more will be made of the interview than probably should be, but that is to be expected.
My thought too...

I don't think Vad through anyone under the bus.

I don't think Vad through anyone under the bus either. I think everyone involved should benefit from Vad and his families decision. CPJ has been put in a bad situation in all of this too. The whole fan base has been ringing their hands and putting pressure on them to play the most naturally gifted player he has ever recruited. CPJ has stated on numerous occasions that EVERYONE has unrealistic expectations for Vad way too soon. He was almost forced to play Vad even though he tried to tell everyone (Without throwing him under the bus) that Vad wasn't ready. He simply couldn't run the base offense. CPJ couldn't scrap the base offense just to compromise Vad. If he had done that and Vad got hurt.... Then what?

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To paraphrase:

"I throw 4 TD Passes against Duke and we win and he say's that's not our way" (c) Vad

Wow.
I think CPJ was frustrated with our ground game that day. It wasn't that Duke took the running game away...It was that we were not executing it.

Think about this logically. Early game in the year and we were not running it well against Duke. CPJ knows we can't throw it that much with this squad and be successful. Therefore, he needs to let them know "hey its great we won but if we don't get the run game fixed then we are toast" which makes sense to me.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I think CPJ was frustrated with our ground game that day. It wasn't that Duke took the running game away...It was that we were not executing it.

Think about this logically. Early game in the year and we were not running it well against Duke. CPJ knows we can't throw it that much with this squad and be successful. Therefore, he needs to let them know "hey its great we won but if we don't get the run game fixed then we are toast" which makes sense to me.
Exactly - We teach the kids to cut block year around and after 3 games we're gonna scrap the option and go to a pistol and throw the ball around? Hell.... We would have finished with 4-5 wins and CPJ would be coaching Army right now.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Vad's longest run in 2012 was against Presbyterian on a draw from the pistol. His next longest was a speed option from under center. After that, I think it was the draw from the pistol v BC, and several counter options against Maryland, UNC, USC, etc, all from under center.

I don't think the percentage of his snaps from UC/pistol was drastically different between 2012 and 2013. Certainly not enough to account for running for 2.8 yards per carry this season.

He didn't run particularly well from the pistol this year. His long run this year was 21 yards! His YPC v Duke, where we ran the inverted veer/Power read/whatever from the pistol the most was 3.5. Aaron Murray *averaged* 3.5 this year.

Vad ran the ball poorly this year, both from the pistol and from under center. Vad ran the ball well in 2012, both from the pistol and from under center.

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
Of course, but I do not think it is because our offense is that more difficult to run than any other. I do think talent and experience was suffering form injuries.......and also think basic technique coaching was lacking as well....i.e trying to cut block on a drop back pass.
We'll need to agree to disagree then. I think our offense if hard to run, which makes it beautiful when we run it well with healthy, athletic, football players. Don't take my comments as a criticism of the offense, it's just that our margin for error is small, especially related to offensive line and QB play. My comments are that with more production out of the offensive line, we have fewer instances of a blown up mesh, more time to make our reads, etc. Vad still needs to make the right read, however.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't listen to the interview at work, but I read a summary of what was said. Sounds like the radio guys were trying to get Vad to trash Coach. Even though he was diplomatic and didn't completely trash him, it still seems like he thinks PJ somehow handcuffed the team on purpose just to run the option. I just can't understand this. Maybe because I am a coach and will do whatever it takes to win and have had players not understand this. Coaches want to WIN. And if you know your best chance of winning is being able to run your base offense before you start slinging it around, then that's what you do! What worked against UGAg in the first half didn't work in the second half! And had we been able to run the base, we cruise to victory in that game. Just frustrating...