#UWiscy (not our kind) coming to town Wed 9:15 EST tip

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Hell of a game. Felt like a 8/9 game in the NCAAT! I live in Michigan so I catch a few of your games. Really impressed how well coached they are and how well they’re playing. Before the season I kinda had this penciled in as a GT win but after “Maui” I knew this was going to be a tough out. My only complaint was the officials. Some of the calls were ehh…. But other than that it was a great game minus the outcome lol. But as a college basketball fan, it was fun to watch Devoe and Davison trade buckets.
Good analogy on the 8/9 comment. One of the refs last night was Pat Driscoll, and every hard-core Badger fan knows his name - he was one of the refs in the national championship game against Duke in 2015, and his calls were, um, "impactful", in that outcome. I don't have the data, but UW tends to fare worse in games where he (or another hated one, Bo Boroski) is refereeing. Last night did seem like an exception in that regard (though the fouls were only different by 2).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
100% agree. I’m the same way. Complaining about a call here or a call there is silly because it’s a fast paced game and it’s impossible to make all the right calls. Buuuuuttt…… last night the officiating was flabbergasting.
I watched the replay this morning and the officiating was fairly typical for a highly contested NCAA BB game. Fairly evenhanded throughout. All games will have a few calls fans disagree with but there were no real egregious calls that I saw.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If I am Pastner, I am finding a way to get Coleman more involved on the offensive end. He is the second most talented offensive player we have. He does not need to defer to older players. Two shots for him in a game is simply not enough, should be more around 8-10 imo. Also think we will be much better once Parham returns and is back to full strength. I am not really worried about this team defensively as Pastner teams always improve throughout the season. However we do need more balance offensively.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They didn't cap student attendance last night (because the arena wasn't sold out, why turn people away?) and it made a huge difference.

One thing I wanted to mention and someone else alluded to with regards to Deivon - we were awesome on the 50/50 balls last night (and got absolutely robbed on one jump ball that was ruled a foul but I digress). The energy was awesome.
Deivon had 11 rebounds?!!!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay this morning and the officiating was fairly typical for a highly contested NCAA BB game. Fairly evenhanded throughout. All games will have a few calls fans disagree with but there were no real egregious calls that I saw.

In the first half the stuff they called that got Ush and Moore in foul trouble absolutely wasn't being called on the other end. I thought if anything it swung the other way in the second in and we, mostly, got the better end of the whistle there but it didn't result in foul trouble the way the first half bad refffing did.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In the first half the stuff they called that got Ush and Moore in foul trouble absolutely wasn't being called on the other end. I thought if anything it swung the other way in the second in and we, mostly, got the better end of the whistle there but it didn't result in foul trouble the way the first half bad refffing did.
We will just disagree. After watching this morning without the emotion of last night Usher and Moore were both out of control in the first half. Tried to block shots and had zero chance of doing so without fouling which they both did. Reached and grabbed well away from the basket. Just silly stuff. It hurt us as they are clearly our two best defensive players. As experienced as they are they have to pay attention to how refs call games. That is usually very clear in the first 4 minutes. Not adjusting is just bad individual basketball. Similar to how refs call football games. If they let the OL hold all the time early teams are foolish not to do so until a penalty is called. If the refs are calling PI on touchy stuff the DBs need to realize that and grab less. 4th and 5th year players should know better and frankly so should the coach.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We will just disagree. After watching this morning without the emotion of last night Usher and Moore were both out of control in the first half. Tried to block shots and had zero chance of doing so without fouling which they both did. Reached and grabbed well away from the basket. Just silly stuff. It hurt us as they are clearly our two best defensive players. As experienced as they are they have to pay attention to how refs call games. That is usually very clear in the first 4 minutes. Not adjusting is just bad individual basketball. Similar to how refs call football games. If they let the OL hold all the time early teams are foolish not to do so until a penalty is called. If the refs are calling PI on touchy stuff the DBs need to realize that and grab less. 4th and 5th year players should know better and frankly so should the coach.

You didn't really address the issue. The issue was they were not consistent. What was called a foul on Usher and Moore was not being called a foul on Davis when he was bodying up Devoe trying to prevent him from getting the ball or driving.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You didn't really address the issue. The issue was they were not consistent. What was called a foul on Usher and Moore was not being called a foul on Davis when he was bodying up Devoe trying to prevent him from getting the ball or driving.
Ok let me be direct. We committed silly fouls in the first half and Wisconsin committer fewer silly fouls. From my view of the replay the officiating was consistent all game.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
They didn't cap student attendance last night (because the arena wasn't sold out, why turn people away?) and it made a huge difference.

Ah so that’s why there were so many random groups of students in “normal” sections. I agree we should totally fill seats if the students want them

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah so that’s why there were so many random groups of students in “normal” sections. I agree we should totally fill seats if the students want them
Yes, that’s correct, although they were only allowing them to overflow into certain sections. I saw a group of students get relocated out of section 110, which was sold out I believe, so it made sense.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember the play exactly, but in CBB this year the handoff rub screen is a point of emphasis. That is a key part of our offense when Rodney has the ball at the top of the key.

The more classic screen that we see in pick and rolls, and often plays out as a moving screen, continues to not get called much.

I didn't have much of a reaction to the play in question real-time, and I also wasn't in chat to ingrain the play in memory, so I may not have it right about what is in question on this one.
I’ll try to find the exact time window and figure out it post a video of it. I was salty about it in real time.

/

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok let me be direct. We committed silly fouls in the first half and Wisconsin committer fewer silly fouls. From my view of the replay the officiating was consistent all game.
The two fouls called late on Howard right after he hands of the ball and the defender hits him from behind. are those called because the ref thinks Howard moved into the defender? Also, late when Devoe got the defender up and took the three point shot so the defender fell into his legs, is that a foul or not? I see some refs call that and some do not. Thanks!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the game but looking at the stats told me--
Mike is amazing but we DESPERATELY need another consistent scorer. DUH!
We played a good game but not good enough which is not good enough esp at home..
It is obvious that we are lacking in that Junior class --when all hell was happening with JP. When Mike and Ush leave we have a big problem.--

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
He should be the guy running circles around Howard on the top of the key with Devoe.

/
This.

And also Deebo should be setting the backscreen on spain PnR (we FINALLY started running this in the last 2 games... only a couple times, but damn it is loaded with potential for us and fits what we already do with roll/replace. Mike attacking off the high ball screen, 5-man rolling, Deebo setting the back screen for the roller and then popping. If the back screener is a deadly shooter (and can drive off a shot fake after the pop and catch), it's very difficult to defend.

Dammit, now you got me going and I'm gonna want to write a full analysis of our new offensive stuff this year -- which I LOVE compared to last year... Pastner has added some stuff that aligns with and fits into our existing systems while providing more diversity and simultaneously being tailored to our players strengths. I love it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the game but looking at the stats told me--
Mike is amazing but we DESPERATELY need another consistent scorer. DUH!
We played a good game but not good enough which is not good enough esp at home..
It is obvious that we are lacking in that Junior class --when all hell was happening with JP. When Mike and Ush leave we have a big problem.--
I don't think so. I think that Kelly and Coleman will become very good scorers. I especially like that Kelly can take it to the rim as well. Deebo is going to be an animal when he gets comfortable in his skin. It's going to take both of them a little time.

Sturdivant has shown to have a nice intermediate game. His stop and pop will be very effective. If Smith can improve that part of his game (as others have said), he'll be very dangerous with his speed. With us not having anyone in the Class of '22 yet, I'd not be surprised if we don't bring in a grad transfer or upperclassman transfer to stabilize the team. I don't think we'll have a problem at all, but that's next year's worry. I'm still enjoying watching these guys grow as a team.