#UWiscy (not our kind) coming to town Wed 9:15 EST tip

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Vogt is going to be important in B1G play when we go up against some of the monster bigs in that league, just for the extra fouls he brings. But, he's "just a guy" right now, and he's still learning the UW defensive principles. He is being asked to mostly rebound and defend. The starting C, Crowl, is a bit more skilled offensively.

I am no expert on the defense, but it has always been about team principles - not aggressiveness. There are some good individual defenders, however, and you'll hear the announcers praise Wahl, in particular. They do not (traditionally) force many turnovers and are good on the defensive glass. The philosophy is to try to force hard twos (meaning inside the arc but outside the lane). They're not always successful at that, but have also been decent (not great) at shot blocking inside the lane.

Providence did zone UW and it was effective, and UW lost that game. However, that was also the one game that Johnny Davis did not play (MVP of the Maui tourney).

It is hard to speed up UW or really any team that is dedicated to a slower pace. Not saying impossible, but hard. Has to be done with pressure defense that results in getting turnovers and easy transition points.
True has not been easy to speed UVA much the last few years.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner looks too relaxed. Somebody forward some of Root's posts so that our coach knows that the entire season is on the brink of utter collapse and that our bare bottoms are riding down a razor-blade slide of failure into to an alcohol filled abyss....

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Perhaps, but that's a shame because our men's and women's teams are the best they've been in a while (and honestly I may be biased but the basketball games are eons more fun than the football games). McCamish with 8600 is my favorite place in the city (and that's usually with 2500 of them being away fans; 8600 Tech fans would be bedlam). Wish it happened more often.
Me too, but I dunno if there are even that many in metro including the students!! We can barely get that many to Bobby Dodd! I know I’m exaggerating but it certainly feels that way. 8600 Tech fans at The Tit this day and age feels foreign to me. I pray we get back there.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just looked at our schedule...next 4 games should tell us a lot about our team this year.

23 Wisc tonight
UNC 12/5
LSU 12/11
20 USC 12/18

Hopefully we come out 4-0. Should be an interesting 18 day stretch. Feels weird caring more about Bball over FBall....haven't done that in a while.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps, but that's a shame because our men's and women's teams are the best they've been in a while (and honestly I may be biased but the basketball games are eons more fun than the football games). McCamish with 8600 is my favorite place in the city (and that's usually with 2500 of them being away fans; 8600 Tech fans would be bedlam). Wish it happened more often.
These 9:15 games are hard to make on a weeknight. But I will be at many 7pm and afternoon games.