#UWiscy (not our kind) coming to town Wed 9:15 EST tip

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Alright, enough misery on the FB side of the board let’s talk roundball. We got the badgers coming on to our home court and I’m ready for some biGTime basketball.

Anyone hear if the guys are recovered from the flu outbreak we had? I’m hoping so, it’ll take all the horses we have to get out and score on them so hoping we swarm them like our namesake yellow jackets defending their hive.

The ESPN BPI gives Georgia Tech a 56.8% chance to beat Wisconsin in their Dec. 1 matchup. Agree or disagree? https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401369894

Looks like we are a fairly similar team in efficiency and output. We have the edge in PPG, with them having a lower PAG

1638200709428.jpg

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Wisconsin with only 8.5 assists per game. I see that they don’t score a ton of points, but that seems kinda low. What’s behind that stat? What kind of offense do they run?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I just hope we are healthy enough to practice. We can get away with not practicing against lesser teams but this will be a different animal.

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Wisconsin with only 8.5 assists per game. I see that they don’t score a ton of points, but that seems kinda low. What’s behind that stat? What kind of offense do they run?
Hey, folks, Badger fan. I would agree this is a low assist total and somewhat of a precedent-breaker. They traditionally pride themselves on finding good shots with a lot of passing and going late into the shot clock (one post player with 4 on the perimeter). The cast of characters has changed, though, and they rely a bit more on players getting their own shots as well as getting to the FT line (where they're shooting 83% as a team). They're also breaking in a true frosh PG, who's backed up by another true frosh PG. They'd also have a few more assists if they could actually shoot better - this group is way too clankapotomous-y compared to previous editions. They have won their games on the other end of the court, causing the other team to be even more clankapotomous-y.

As to pace, kenpom has UW at #300 out of 358. For a Badger fan, that seems lightning fast - we are used to being #340+. GT is #169 for reference, but it only ends up being a difference in 3 possessions per game (hard to notice an extra possession every 13 minutes).

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey, folks, Badger fan. I would agree this is a low assist total and somewhat of a precedent-breaker. They traditionally pride themselves on finding good shots with a lot of passing and going late into the shot clock (one post player with 4 on the perimeter). The cast of characters has changed, though, and they rely a bit more on players getting their own shots as well as getting to the FT line (where they're shooting 83% as a team). They're also breaking in a true frosh PG, who's backed up by another true frosh PG. They'd also have a few more assists if they could actually shoot better - this group is way too clankapotomous-y compared to previous editions. They have won their games on the other end of the court, causing the other team to be even more clankapotomous-y.

As to pace, kenpom has UW at #300 out of 358. For a Badger fan, that seems lightning fast - we are used to being #340+. GT is #169 for reference, but it only ends up being a difference in 3 possessions per game (hard to notice an extra possession every 13 minutes).
Thanks for sharing! We are looking forward to a good game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

What happened to Chris Vogt? A couple years ago he looked good, but I see he is only averaging 1.0 ppg in ten minutes.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

This match-up sounds perfect to me for our zone. Freshman PG that have never seen it even once in their playing career. A slow pace so we can set it up and switch out of it. A team that doesn’t get assists so we make them move the ball quickly to be able to score.

Hopefully our zone is ready.

/

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I am hopeful that Mike is feeling back to 100% because he is going to be big from the outside Wednesday. Hopefully we also see the continued return of the midrange jumper. Would be great to have the same pace of scoring we have been seeing (with multiple double digit scorers) up and down the lineups.

Also will be curious to see if we push pace to the max and just try to wear them down with speed. Going to be an interesting match up for sure and am excited to see what's what.

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Vogt is going to be important in B1G play when we go up against some of the monster bigs in that league, just for the extra fouls he brings. But, he's "just a guy" right now, and he's still learning the UW defensive principles. He is being asked to mostly rebound and defend. The starting C, Crowl, is a bit more skilled offensively.

I am no expert on the defense, but it has always been about team principles - not aggressiveness. There are some good individual defenders, however, and you'll hear the announcers praise Wahl, in particular. They do not (traditionally) force many turnovers and are good on the defensive glass. The philosophy is to try to force hard twos (meaning inside the arc but outside the lane). They're not always successful at that, but have also been decent (not great) at shot blocking inside the lane.

Providence did zone UW and it was effective, and UW lost that game. However, that was also the one game that Johnny Davis did not play (MVP of the Maui tourney).

It is hard to speed up UW or really any team that is dedicated to a slower pace. Not saying impossible, but hard. Has to be done with pressure defense that results in getting turnovers and easy transition points.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So many tickets still available on ramblinwreck.com :\ I don't know if it's the pandemic or what but attendance has been really disappointing this year. The atmosphere at the Georgia Southern game had its moments but McCamish has been 30% full all season according to attendance numbers, which may be inflated. This is a P6 game against a ranked opponent. UNC isn't even close to sold out either.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So many tickets still available on ramblinwreck.com :\ I don't know if it's the pandemic or what but attendance has been really disappointing this year. The atmosphere at the Georgia Southern game had its moments but McCamish has been 30% full all season according to attendance numbers, which may be inflated. This is a P6 game against a ranked opponent. UNC isn't even close to sold out either.
I wonder if GT discontent from football is caring over to basketball. It certainly has not impacted the Volleybees.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if GT discontent from football is caring over to basketball. It certainly has not impacted the Volleybees.
Perhaps, but that's a shame because our men's and women's teams are the best they've been in a while (and honestly I may be biased but the basketball games are eons more fun than the football games). McCamish with 8600 is my favorite place in the city (and that's usually with 2500 of them being away fans; 8600 Tech fans would be bedlam). Wish it happened more often.