UVA Week

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Here's a write up about the 10:45 section.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ts-coach-paul-johnson-not-fretting-job-status

"Truthfully, I've never worried about that stuff," Johnson said, turning the question into a referendum on his nine seasons at the Atlantic Coast Conference school. "If they think they can get somebody better, they ought to go get `em. That's certainly their right."

Georgia Tech went 3-9 a year ago and endured a three-game losing streak this season, but the Yellow Jackets (6-4, 3-4 ACC) became bowl eligible with a 30-20 victory over then-No. 18 Virginia Tech last weekend.

They face Virginia (2-8, 1-5) in their home finale Saturday, before closing the regular season at state rival Georgia.

"My job is to try to take the players that we have and make them be the best they can be -- make sure they're going to school, make sure they're graduating and staying out of trouble," Johnson said. "Do you want to win every game? Yeah. Do you want to win the league? Yeah. But if you look back and you're realistic, historically that hasn't happened every year here."

"I think the speculation is you guys," Johnson told reporters. "I might live in a cave, but I don't see it. I don't get it from our administration. I don't get it from our fan base. I don't get it from our alumni. I see where you guys write about it in the paper, or they talk about it on the radio. But, like I said, I don't worry about that. It wouldn't do me any good to worry about it."

Johnson's record at Georgia Tech is 67-48, including a 41-30 mark in the ACC. The Yellow Jackets have reached the conference championship game three times, winning in 2009 even though the crown was later vacated because of NCAA violations.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Its possible Tech could find a better coach to run things than CPJ. It's also possible I'll hit the lotto next time I actually buy a ticket. Richt > Smart....thx mutts. Too often coaching changes are made merely for the sake of change. Look where we are post Cremins.....beware of repeating that folly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting. I was traveling so this was nice to get.

Very disappointed to hear that Todd has only spoken to Coach once since being hired. That either suggests he's not engaged OR he's going to five CPJ room.

Still, what does it cost to text him and say, "great win Saturday".

Concerning.

When was he coming on board? I imagine he thought he was going to be at Oregon state until late December or early January. I can't imagine he gets too involved until he is finally here.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I thought I heard he was going to be here at the end of the month. Since he still OS I would read too much into them not speaking much. Both of them have a ton on their plates right now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thanks for posting. I was traveling so this was nice to get.

Very disappointed to hear that Todd has only spoken to Coach once since being hired. That either suggests he's not engaged OR he's going to five CPJ room.

Still, what does it cost to text him and say, "great win Saturday".

Concerning.

I believe CPJ said he and TS traded texts after the VPi win. I doubt there is a huge need for the 2 to discuss much on the phone at this time. Give TS some time to actually get in town and settled in before worrying too much.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard CPJ say that he has met him once (when he was here) and received a text from him. Other than that, zip.

A lot of folks assume that the job doesn't start until Todd gets here. That's not really true. Every significant job I have had started the day I took it. There's a lot of preplanning that goes into how to engage the new organization, interviewing key players, setting priorities, and identifying quick wins and areas of concern. A lot is done on the phone and a lot is done through research. Then, you build your 90 day plan. (And yes, this is while you are mopping up your remaining duties at the current job.)

This usually means daily huddles with key staff. (A quick call or telecon.) A regular call with CPJ for instance, goes a long way to build a relationship.

Not a fan of waiting until he gets here to see things. That's a very passive way to take on a new challenge. Just my two cents.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard CPJ say that he has met him once (when he was here) and received a text from him. Other than that, zip.

A lot of folks assume that the job doesn't start until Todd gets here. That's not really true. Every significant job I have had started the day I took it. There's a lot of preplanning that goes into how to engage the new organization, interviewing key players, setting priorities, and identifying quick wins and areas of concern. A lot is done on the phone and a lot is done through research. Then, you build your 90 day plan. (And yes, this is while you are mopping up your remaining duties at the current job.)

This usually means daily huddles with key staff. (A quick call or telecon.) A regular call with CPJ for instance, goes a long way to build a relationship.

Not a fan of waiting until he gets here to see things. That's a very passive way to take on a new challenge. Just my two cents.
Glad he was hired at Clemson game.

The first half would have scared off many.

We are screwed If he comes in and announces how he is going to do non measurable and trackabble stuff - "improve the student atlee experience , blah blah"

If he says specifics on football like - increase football recruiting budget 200%, do 3 new things to creat buzz at games during long silent times at games,etc = we are looking good.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said he exchanged texts with Todd on saturday which I assume is a congratulations on the win text. Todd is still working full time at another school so it's not that crazy to me he hasn't been all over the GTAA yet.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Todd is still working full time at another school so it's not that crazy to me he hasn't been all over the GTAA yet.

I guess it's just the corporate in me. There's a success factor (I think it's 88%) that those who hit the ground running on Day 1 and execute a start plan within the first 100 days are much more likely to be successful than those who wait. That's why Trump (as president) and others (especially private equity) put so much emphasis on the first 100 days. After those first 3 months, things settle and it gets very hard to change the culture or change behavior.

If everyone is comfortable that work doesn't start until Todd get here, I would not expect much to change. Usually, the job starts the day you accept it. Again, my two cents from having parachuted into multiple organizations over my career.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I guess it's just the corporate in me. There's a success factor (I think it's 88%) that those who hit the ground running on Day 1 and execute a start plan within the first 100 days are much more likely to be successful than those who wait. That's why Trump (as president) and others (especially private equity) put so much emphasis on the first 100 days. After those first 3 months, things settle and it gets very hard to change the culture or change behavior.

If everyone is comfortable that work doesn't start until Todd get here, I would not expect much to change. Usually, the job starts the day you accept it. Again, my two cents from having parachuted into multiple organizations over my career.
Ok but he's still under contract to work as hard and diligently as possible at his current job so you wanting him to already be committing full time worth of brain power to a job he hasn't started would be very unprofessional of him.