UVA, Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... here we go. Biggest series of the season happens to be the last. Go figure.

Thurs, Fri, Sat series.

UVA rolling into town sporting a top10 RPI & in a 4 team battle for the Coastal title... including Miami, UVA, Duke, & UNC.

Ga Tech has shown some serious FIGHT by pulling itself into "bubble" status for the big tournament. Need to win Thursday!

Go Jackets!

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok... here we go. Biggest series of the season happens to be the last. Go figure.

Thurs, Fri, Sat series.

UVA rolling into town sporting a top10 RPI & in a 4 team battle for the Coastal title... including Miami, UVA, Duke, & UNC.

Ga Tech has shown some serious FIGHT by pulling itself into "bubble" status for the big tournament. Need to win Thursday!

Go Jackets!
Maybe we get one

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Thurs, Fri, Sat series.

Go Jackets!
Losing midweek games to Kennesaw and Mercer last couple weeks may turn out to be huge - big hits to RPI. Pretty much need to win 2 of 3 vs UVA and at least one game in ACC Tourney for any chance at a regional bid.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Losing midweek games to Kennesaw and Mercer last couple weeks may turn out to be huge - big hits to RPI. Pretty much need to win 2 of 3 vs UVA and at least one game in ACC Tourney for any chance at a regional bid.

Naw I've been told the midweek games don't have any effect on our chances. :unsure:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I believe we remain behind the 8 ball and must win this series to have any shot at all at the NCAA’s. One win won’t do it.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe we remain behind the 8 ball and must win this series to have any shot at all at the NCAA’s. One win won’t do it.
I wish that winning the series would help, but I'm pretty sure we must sweep. And I don't think that even that, without a good performance in the ACC Tourney, will be sufficient. But without a sweep this weekend I think we will be forced to win the ACC Tourney.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we sweep, we are about 35th rpi and a lock.

If we win 2-1, are about 42nd and two below 500 ACC. Need to win two in ACC tourney to probably get in if not too many bids stolen.

Worse and have to win ACC tourney. Not likely at all.

IMHO. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make the NCAAs.
This is reasonable. It'll be a challenge. The problem for me (personally)... I'd resigned myself that we had no shot a few weeks ago. They've gone and giving me a sliver of hope.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
1684406324919.jpeg

D1 currently has us at 66

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not a legitimate theory. And not one you see enough to entertain.
I'll bite, because I think those comments are in response to something I said.

Someone had mentioned how our season was effectively over after the 6-5 loss the Kennesaw St. I suggested that game wasn't going to make or break our season, and the real goal needed to be a better ACC record, as that was going to be the ding on our resume that kept us out of the tournament - not a midweek loss to Kennesaw State. We had two big series coming up (Duke and UVA) that would do more than enough to bolster the RPI if (again, big if) we could perform well. So far, so good.

I don't think anyone is suggesting those losses don't hurt us.. It factors in to RPI and overall record just like the rest of them. But right now, a lousy conference record is likely the reason NCSU will be left out, despite an RPI of 26 and a pretty good overall record.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Someone had mentioned how our season was effectively over after the 6-5 loss the Kennesaw St. I suggested that game wasn't going to make or break our season, and the real goal needed to be a better ACC record, as that was going to be the ding on our resume that kept us out of the tournament - not a midweek loss to Kennesaw State. We had two big series coming up (Duke and UVA) that would do more than enough to bolster the RPI if (again, big if) we could perform well. So far, so good.

I don't think anyone is suggesting those losses don't hurt us.. It factors in to RPI and overall record just like the rest of them. But right now, a lousy conference record is likely the reason NCSU will be left out, despite an RPI of 26 and a pretty good overall record.
Totally agree with you. Those losses do have an effect but the bigger problem is our ACC record. If we had a different team this weekend then it would be a bigger problem but as @GTNavyNuke pointed out we can seriously improve our RPI just by winning (not likely to sweep but we can dream). If we can somehow win 2, then win 2 in the ACC I think we're in. Less than that and we need help or we're out.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Agree with you... the bolded part is correct based on my recall of related discussions on this forum.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Am I reading it correctly that a sweep only puts us in the 33-34 rank range (depending on how other teams play as well)

Yes. Assuming all other teams stay the same (some will win and some will lose), we would be 35th with a sweep.

FWIW, I get UVa emails that talk about us getting swept and UVa winning Coastal. Whatever.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Assuming all other teams stay the same (some will win and some will lose), we would be 35th with a sweep.

FWIW, I get UVa emails that talk about us getting swept and UVa winning Coastal. Whatever.
A UVa sweep is much more likely than a GT sweep. I fear they will absolutely destroy our pitching.