UT and Holding

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. I was sitting at midfield in about row 20, so I had a pretty clear view of TN holding on many plays. We got away with one or two, but they were flagrant, and NEVER called. Some seemed pretty obvious (of course I am a little biased . . .).

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Thats horrible, holding at the point of attack has to be called. Looks like the refs told someone don't worry no flags... Its in the past but still stings. We beat that *** all over the field Mon night. We did not get one call or break. I was in the end zone a hundred miles away from the field and saw all kings of Tenn holding the entire game. Im not a fan of the new stadium, sound sucked. I like hearing the bands etc... Ready to be back in the flats Sat.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It has become obvious that holding is no longer called unless so flagrant in the open they can't ignore it. It totally now favors the passing game. There is no way a team that throws it as much as they did that not one holding call was made or else I missed it when out of the room. There is something not quite right with the way we lock up with their OL if we can't at least create a few holding calls.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Rewatched the game during downtime at work and there was a noticeable difference in Tennessee's line play from the 1st half to the 2nd. They didn't get any extra push on runs, but our dline was coming to stops when they we're beside their oline. It's almost like their coaches realized they weren't calling any holds and told them to do whatever to protect and make holes.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Rewatched the game during downtime at work and there was a noticeable difference in Tennessee's line play from the 1st half to the 2nd. They didn't get any extra push on runs, but our dline was coming to stops when they we're beside their oline. It's almost like their coaches realized they weren't calling any holds and told them to do whatever to protect and make holes.
Tennessee put more emphasis on their running game In the 2nd half. It was like they were trying to warm up Quinten Dormady in the 1st half. John Kelly will wind up being one of the best running backs that GT will have faced in 2017 he will run for 1000+ yards.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is not a big cry, we should have won post...

Did anyone notice a lack of calls on UT in general. I am seeing more holding than normal. I am not talking about the normal holding, but things like this when a runner passes by...

Most obvious hold was on Andree who would otherwise made the tackle.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I am glad other posters noted it. I remembered the play before it even started, because I remember the choke hold put on 94 while watching that one live. It took me multiple watches before I saw the hold your mouse was trying to indicate.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is not a big cry, we should have won post...

Did anyone notice a lack of calls on UT in general. I am seeing more holding than normal. I am not talking about the normal holding, but things like this when a runner passes by...

Note the LBs and S play. Mitchell fills the D right side hole but is blocked by the C I believe. Nobody fills the middle hole. Both the S and Lewis fill the left side hole. Glanton gets double teamed and pushed way back causing Lewis to get hung up in the mob. Runner avoids the S by cutting up the middle. Both DTs get drove back more than 5 yards. You cannot stop the run with so much retreat in the middle.

Deleted member 2897

Another one that gets me is early on when the TN receiver caught the ball off the bounce. The Refs were right there next to him and called it a catch. On replay it was quickly reversed. But it doesn't get much easier than that when its right in front of you.

What really gets me is how come on their one touchdown run that the booth called during a TV break? Nobody was complaining, the Refs on the field didn't ask for it, and the TN bench wasn't complaining. But the booth called down a TD. But yet here are blatant fouls everywhere and the booth won't lift the phone. Last year the booth called down after a play to penalize us on a pitch that was beyond the line of scrimmage and they wanted to tell the Refs it was an illegal forward pass. But nobody on the field or the sideline had asked for the review. It just seems whatever screws us the most is what the Refs do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It has become obvious that holding is no longer called unless so flagrant in the open they can't ignore it. It totally now favors the passing game. There is no way a team that throws it as much as they did that not one holding call was made or else I missed it when out of the room. There is something not quite right with the way we lock up with their OL if we can't at least create a few holding calls.
Our guys don't / Can't keep their arms extended as the chuck and peak to see RUNNER. The off linemen grabs them and pulls them towards him till the helmets touch. Watch in. First defensive play I b ball in posted.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our guys need to learn how to flail their arms and yell "HEEEYYYY HOOOOLLD!!!!" when that happens. Anree in particular. Ref might not call it the first time they do it, but they will sure pay attention, and the OL will be less inclined to pull something like that again. That was textbook holding outside the scrum of the interior line. When you spin a defender from behind 180 degrees, something not natural is going on.

Branch got tackled, but in his case the OL was a little savvy in that he held from the shoulders in (which a lot of OL do) and never put his hands outside the shoulder. On replay it looks horrible on the OL, but in real time it's so hard to call that one because it kinda looks like Branch is getting pancaked. Gotta remember, each ref is assigned a particular area to focus on...almost impossible to catch everything in a scrum like that. It wasn't as flat out blatant as what happened to Anree. In this instance, the OL was just good at using "the tricks of the trade" that OLs are taught. If anything, Branch should have used his hands better to disengage the inside jersey hold and if the OL was still holding, the fistfull of jersey would have shifted to the outside and the only way the OL would have held on would have been to noticeably stretch the jersey.