USF will test our pass D next week.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m hopeful that the reason we didn’t get much pressure was that Woody didn’t want to show his best stuff against an FCS team that we should defeat handily. USF will probably go back and review Woody at App State but that film will be with different players at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what i’m hoping too

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
If I had to pick a disappointment from yesterday it would be the OL.
IMO, we should dominate the offensive LOS against lesser opponents and after the first series we really didn't.
In our offense the run sets up the pass, if the OL has issue's we are in trouble ... hopefully we were just a little rusty.

IMO, we should dominate the offensive LOS against lesser opponents and after the first series we really didn't.
In our offense the run sets up the pass, if the OL has issue's we are in trouble ... hopefully we were just a little rusty.
I think a little lazy and unmotivated too. I can't understand why either of those would be the case, but having watched Tech football in person for 55 years, that's a problem we have always had.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched their game yesterday while hanging out with my 10 month old and made a couple observations.

1. USF had a lot of trouble with off tackle runs. Elons running back was slow to hit the hole, but when they ran him off tackle and he didn't get caught from the backside he picked up 5-10 yards consistently.
2. USF had issues covering the middle of the field on slants and in routes. Lot of drops by Elon receivers that would've continued drives.
3. USF QB is a talented thrower, but seems to lock in on his first target
4. USF's starting RB was out and their running game was poor and their oline barely got any push and almost lost a goalline stand (got stopped on 2 of 3 plays from the 1)
5. USF likes to play hurry up on offense and nothing frustrates offenses that like tempo more than having to sit on the sideline for 5+ minute drives.
6. USF has talented Wide Receivers St. Felix is going to be a guy to watch for them. If he's making lots of catches we might have issues.

I think we win this one by 10 if we show up focused and ready to play. 17+ if we play well. A close loss if we don't improve any and play unfocused. I'll probably watch the game again Tuesday and give a more detailed breakdown.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The people complaining about the people that are concerned need to listen to the head coach. He's concerned af right now. Why are you refusing to acknowledge this? If PJ said we were a well oiled machine and fans were still screaming that the sky is falling that'd be one thing, but that's not the case. He is clearly pissed off and concerned after yesterday.

CPJ: If we play offense like we did today, we won't beat the rest of the teams on our schedule (or wtte)

Optimistic fans: (we won't play offense like that the rest of the way)

CPJ: Marshall had a good camp (repeated for Brad Stewart and about OL depth etc)

So, why do the sky is falling crowd refuse to listen to CPJ when he said we really won't know until we've played a few games (not just one)?

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ: If we play offense like we did today, we won't beat the rest of the teams on our schedule (or wtte)

Optimistic fans: (we won't play offense like that the rest of the way)

CPJ: Marshall had a good camp (repeated for Brad Stewart and about OL depth etc)

So, why do the sky is falling crowd refuse to listen to CPJ when he said we really won't know until we've played a few games (not just one)?

When did he say that? I agree that CPJ always has a critique of this offense, regardless of outcome, but he was furious yesterday. He knows we got some big issues at the moment. This is not his typical some good, some bad routine. He basically made TM complete the easiest passes in the book for the first drive of the second half. Like legitimately 1 concept over and over to make sure he could at least do that. That is not a good sign.

We have 2 issues that I see - Our LT got roasted and our QB couldn't complete 15 yard field-side passes. Run game is still good though. We have talent at GCG and might be able to persevere against mediocre D's based on our dives alone. Clemson's war daddies will not allow the dive to beat them. Gonna need all the pieces to be firing.

Edit - I actually think they had some FBS level players at DE, so the LT play isn't as bad as it may seem.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ol ran plain vanilla blocking. No sense in
running counter tre, pull guard, etc. Just work on technique and hitting.

I really am against playing such an inferior team, but it gives gt a win and everybody had fun.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't get beat over the top and hold them to field goals in the red zone we'll whoop them. I think we can do that. I don't care about giving up chunks over the middle as long as they don't rip plays for TDs. We can stop them in the red zone and make them ride the pine for 20 minutes.

That would be my game plan, and I think we've got the guys to do it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what we want them to do - a bender to the middle by the slot receiver on the twins side.

screen-shot-2018-02-18-at-1-28-22-pm.png

Here's a great breakdown of the Briles offense: https://rileykolstefootball.com/2018/02/18/baylors-vertical-passing-game/

Stay between them and the end-zone, keep them out of the end zone on a condensed field - and make them kick FGs. That's the goal. If you can get some pressure, force a mistake and/or an int, great. But I don't want to play aggressive against this offense...this is heresy around here - but we should play "bend don't break" against them.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If we don't get beat over the top and hold them to field goals in the red zone we'll whoop them. I think we can do that. I don't care about giving up chunks over the middle as long as they don't rip plays for TDs. We can stop them in the red zone and make them ride the pine for 20 minutes.

That would be my game plan, and I think we've got the guys to do it.

Sounds like Ted Roof 2.0...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hoping for a varied concept. Bend but don't break (with a more aggressive DL) and just when they are comfortable, hit'em in the month.