USC Gamecocks Hire Shane Beamer

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
The Buzz on Gamecock Nation Forumn is that Monken may be in the talks to be the next coach; Caslen The new President whom hired Monken while he was President of Army at that time

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot of chatter for Napier. Monken would be interesting for the SEC. He does pass more than PJ when he has a decent Passing QB. He would also have the same recruiting problems we had. Somebody will take Freeze at some point. Could be USCe.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The Buzz on Gamecock Nation Forumn is that Monken may be in the talks to be the next coach; Caslen The new President whom hired Monken while he was President of Army at that time
Caslan is looking at Monken b/c he was the Superintendent at West Point, but it won’t happen.

I continue to believe Illinois will be Monken’s best shot at an FBS job once they fire Lovie. Monken is from Illinois and their fan base has a contingent that were clamoring for Monken when Illinois was contemplating firing Lovie a couple of years ago.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Y'all acting like the 3O spread offense is a bandaid that can't reach high levels. Some of the current and future HOF coaches have said multiple times that's the offense they would prefer to run. Pair it will decent recruiting and you've got a killer on your hands. USCe would do well to hire Monken.

Also take away the 3O and just look at Monken as a coach, that right there should be enough for most to hire him. It would be a shame though because I was hoping one day he would come back here to be head coach.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Y'all acting like the 3O spread offense is a bandaid that can't reach high levels. Some of the current and future HOF coaches have said multiple times that's the offense they would prefer to run. Pair it will decent recruiting and you've got a killer on your hands. USCe would do well to hire Monken.

Also take away the 3O and just look at Monken as a coach, that right there should be enough for most to hire him. It would be a shame though because I was hoping one day he would come back here to be head coach.

If we weren’t gonna hire Monken in 2019 we’re never gonna hire him.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
South Carolina has been the same more or less forever. The Ol' Ball coach, who was good enough to win an ACC championship at Duke (let that sink in) and a NC at UF when they had previously been an afterthought in college FB, didn't move the needle a whole lot there.

SC's football program needs to fix its root cause issues before it tries to solve them with a "magic bullet". There isn't a quick fix. Nor are there "band aids" for systemic issues. Us GT fans should know this better than most.

I don't believe that Monken will be the next coach at USC. Willing to wager a bottle of scotch on this.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I read somewhere, maybe KQ on Twitter, that Monken is open to using a different offense. I think the statement was something similar to: He is eager to get an opportunity to show his HC ability at a P5 school and that he is willing to change in order to get that opportunity.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Never happening and SCAR fans won’t let it happen either. And good on em! Triple option offense would destroy that program. Kind like we have for 3 years now

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina has been the same more or less forever. The Ol' Ball coach, who was good enough to win an ACC championship at Duke (let that sink in) and a NC at UF when they had previously been an afterthought in college FB, didn't move the needle a whole lot there.

SC's football program needs to fix its root cause issues before it tries to solve them with a "magic bullet". There isn't a quick fix. Nor are there "band aids" for systemic issues. Us GT fans should know this better than most.

I don't believe that Monken will be the next coach at USC. Willing to wager a bottle of scotch on this.

Spurrier was 42-11 from 2010 to 2013 at USC. Not many coaches can claim a similar 4 year record anywhere. He also beat Clemson during Dabo's first 5 years of coaching. Somewhere in that stretch Dabo figured out it was better to risk getting caught cheating than to get fired for losing to USC, which he has now leveraged to even greater $$. Clemson's $$ hurt USC's recruiting, which was ultimately the end of Spurrier's coaching career.

USC won't hire Monken. That specculation is a media creation since USC's President was at Army. Nothing solid there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Monken is a HELL of a coach...IMO, one of the top 10 coaches in the nation. Any P5 school that brings him in will have 5+ years of 8-10 wins. However, it's going to take an AD with a BIG set on him (or her) to sign Monken.

The day you announce Monken as your head coach, half of your fan base will always hate him, and you eliminate yourself from 50%+ of your recruiting pool...and a even higher percentage of elite recruits probably don't even answer the phone. Unfortunately, that's the uphill battle you fight with "triple option" coaches in this day and age of spread offenses with QBs regularly throwing for 2500+ yards, and WRs with 50+ catches a season. Even CPJ acknowledged that in a Sports Illustrated article. Coach Ken at Navy had to fight that battle with BYU, and ultimately he walked away from BYU because they wanted him to change too much.

If I'm a school like Vandy whose fanbase just want to win no matter what winning will look like, Monken is an absolute no brainer. Should have happened years ago with Coach Ken at Navy, but Vandy AD didn't have a set big enough to pull the trigger.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I'll give you a bottle of JW Red if he isn't, you give me a bottle of Oban 21 if he is?

Still a sucker's bet.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Monken is a HELL of a coach...IMO, one of the top 10 coaches in the nation. Any P5 school that brings him in will have 5+ years of 8-10 wins. However, it's going to take an AD with a BIG set on him (or her) to sign Monken.

The day you announce Monken as your head coach, half of your fan base will always hate him, and you eliminate yourself from 50%+ of your recruiting pool...and a even higher percentage of elite recruits probably don't even answer the phone. Unfortunately, that's the uphill battle you fight with "triple option" coaches in this day and age of spread offenses with QBs regularly throwing for 2500+ yards, and WRs with 50+ catches a season. Even CPJ acknowledged that in a Sports Illustrated article. Coach Ken at Navy had to fight that battle with BYU, and ultimately he walked away from BYU because they wanted him to change too much.

If I'm a school like Vandy whose fanbase just want to win no matter what winning will look like, Monken is an absolute no brainer. Should have happened years ago with Coach Ken at Navy, but Vandy AD didn't have a set big enough to pull the trigger.

I think any P5 program that hires him will do so on the condition he hire an OC to run some kind of hybrid offense. Otherwise, the transfers will be absolutely brutal now that there is no penalty

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
check back in five years.

You think we’d choose to suffer a .250 W% for 2+ seasons for the sole purpose of transitioning away from the option cold turkey only to later hire the one guy who could have bridged us to a conventional offense while still actually winning some games to begin with? I’ll take that bet.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Never happening and SCAR fans won’t let it happen either. And good on em! Triple option offense would destroy that program. Kind like we have for 3 years now
This is an example of the lazy analysis that’s popular on message boards.

Mike Norvell’s struggles at FSU this year aren’t due to Taggart’s former offensive style. Pro-style offenses aren’t blamed when new coaches struggle.

The easy retort is recruiting, which I’d buy if we weren’t getting the **** beat out of us by teams we’ve out-recruited over the past 5 years. Reality is that a competent coach can transition from the 3O and many other programs would trade our 10 years under the 3O for their 10 years running whatever else.

Obviously, a contingent on this board have chosen to lean into a lazy narrative to protect the Waffle House guy.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Monken is as tied to using the 3O at USCe if he gets the job as some might think.
That's what I'm hearing too.
Everyone on message boards was saying the same thing when CPJ was hired. South Carolina isn’t the opportunity many think it is, and certainly should not be a reason to change an offensive scheme that’s brought Monken a lot of success.