Usable Depth on D?

I agree and from watching games last night a even bigger issue to me is being able to tackle, wrap up, especially at the 2nd level. Tackling seems to be a lost basic fundamental of football even at the pro level. From what I saw of CTR defense last year, we will know how to tackle and swarm. I also think blocking is going to be greatly improved this year. If we can block and tackle we will do well.

Kallon continuous improvement is a big key factor. He and Gotsis have the potential to be terrors.

Miami with Duke J. scares me. Beyond Miami we are as good or better than anyone we face, including the mutts. The Freshman back of Tulane is going to be an interesting test. I am not sure a blow out tomorrow will answer all of the questions but if we see good blocking and tackling techniques it will be an encouragement.

Go Jackets!!! THWG!!!

Yes, the frustration of the first 3 games will be that NONE of our questions will be answered. Now, South Carolina got some questions answered first game, but I am not sure I want that scenario quite yet.

That the basics of the game whether defensive battle or offensive one. Baylor and TAMU this year is going to be interesting and should be fun to watch.
Look in the archives and you will see how the game has changed. Lowest points allowed in a season are way back. Most points scored in a season and most points surrendered in a season are relatively recent. Dodd's heydey years in the 50's we were giving 50 to 60 points in a season. You almost never see a 10-7 game anymore. Hell the three games last night were total over 200 points combined. In 1964 we only scored 121 all year--but we only allowed 79. Damn that Mouse Davis.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm thinking Freeman is going to be real good, inexperienced but by mid season people will know him. Just based on what I've seen from spring game and camp scrimmage, if Chungong is even with him we should be in good shape.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
BS. The coaches will learn plenty about their roster and how the individual battles shake out in the first three games.
I agree and also who plays the scheme, shows football knowledge in game changing situations, Proper angles, proper techniques etc.

In my freshman year in college I was back up OLB in our first game. Coach calls me over and points out the crack back block taking our Right OLB out the play and we were being gashed. He sent me in long enough to show no. 1 what was happening to him and then sent him in to replace me. Within the same quarter it happened a couple of more times to number one. I could not believe he didn't learn from coaches instruction. I played that position rest of the game. Point I am making is game situations can point out a lot flaws even if against lesser opponents. A lot will be learned by the end of the GS game. But all is true that the real rubber meets the road in Blacksburg.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, the frustration of the first 3 games will be that NONE of our questions will be answered. Now, South Carolina got some questions answered first game, but I am not sure I want that scenario quite yet.

I agree with the sentiment that NONE of our questions will be answered. But some minor ones, like who plays best at a certain position will be answered.

But the big question about how the TEAM responds when punched in the face by a roughly equivalent or superior team will not be answered (for me at least). Like you, I have seen too many years where we "curb stomp" the weak teams but lose to the better ranked teams.

Our season really starts 20 Sept. Till then we find out minor things and get the chance to be liquored up.

Flash back 2011. We win first 6. Then lose 5 of the next 7. So I agree with the sentiment.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Look in the archives and you will see how the game has changed. Lowest points allowed in a season are way back. Most points scored in a season and most points surrendered in a season are relatively recent. Dodd's heydey years in the 50's we were giving 50 to 60 points in a season. You almost never see a 10-7 game anymore. Hell the three games last night were total over 200 points combined. In 1964 we only scored 121 all year--but we only allowed 79. Damn that Mouse Davis.

Most of that is due to rule changes giving offense better opportunities. (Ex's. Using hands to block, bumping receivers, etc.)