Usable Depth on D?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As I look at our depth chart and read the contributions from those in the know, it seems that our depth on D might be more usable this year than in the past. While we've played our depth, it's seemed to me that we haven't played it much resulting in gassed guys at the end of the fourth. Even in positions which aren't real strong (from reports I've seen) like DE, the differential between starter and back-up is apparently not that big.

So, will we be having a more significant rotation on D, even in the big games this year? Will it make a difference?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we are very deep at LB and DB. DL, and in particular, DE depth will worry me until they show something.

On another note, I am pumped to see how CTR uses our personnel. We have some extremely versatile guys at the DB spots that could do a lot of things, not just in pass coverage.

I feel like we are very deep at LB and DB. DL, and in particular, DE depth will worry me until they show something.

On another note, I am pumped to see how CTR uses our personnel. We have some extremely versatile guys at the DB spots that could do a lot of things, not just in pass coverage.
I hope these first three games give us an opportunity to rest the first teamers, effectively shortening their season by 25%. We could sure use their rested services in the battles down the road.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually i think our starting de are not much better than the backup. We can rotate 4. The problem is neither set is great. So this is a problem. Not a good thing. The good thing is there are 4. The bad thing is the 4 are avg as we know today. But at least the 4 are equally avg.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope these first three games give us an opportunity to rest the first teamers, effectively shortening their season by 25%. We could sure use their rested services in the battles down the road.
The downside to having three "easy" games to start the season is that you have no "easy" games later in the season when you really need them. I'd much rather rest our starters the week before a big game in the middle or latter part of the season than all at once at the get go.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How is this year much different then last year in the DL? Same number of new starters right? Attaochu just moved to the DE position in 2013, so you should not count him as a starter there right?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
At DE...we will use Stargel and Chungong against the run...Merriweather and Freeman against the pass.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
So do you consider Stargel and Chungong "Adamm Oliver" types? I loved when we had a really solid SDE to complement a mean pass rusher on the other side... Those guys are so valuable b/c they can slide inside on long passing downs and allow you to play around with DL personnel.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Actually i think our starting de are not much better than the backup. We can rotate 4. The problem is neither set is great. So this is a problem. Not a good thing. The good thing is there are 4. The bad thing is the 4 are avg as we know today. But at least the 4 are equally avg.

If we were playing a more classic type defense, or a GROH type read and react D, I would generally agree because you would need some size. However, we are playing a more aggressive quick/play-fast defense and our 4 DEs are more like our LBs in size and aggressive/quick. Combined with our aggressive/quick DBs these DEs/LBs/DBs just might fit in to a teamwork to make an effective D. I am encouraged with the scheme/personnel and anxious to see how it works.

The downside to having three "easy" games to start the season is that you have no "easy" games later in the season when you really need them. I'd much rather rest our starters the week before a big game in the middle or latter part of the season than all at once at the get go.
What? I read every day how we are going to take a cakewalk over Virginia, Pittsburgh, Duke and NCST. Those are spread strategically across the journey. We can get some rest those weeks.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I'm ready for some football tomorrow. The quality of our discussion topics on this board have been steadily trending upward as the season approaches. It will be fun to see our guys in action, and begin getting answers to these questions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Before the season starts we are undefeated and we have 7 cakewalks on our schedule. Only question is how many of the other 5 games we win or lose.

About 4 games into the season, we just might have a different perspective. :)

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
If we were playing a more classic type defense, or a GROH type read and react D, I would generally agree because you would need some size. However, we are playing a more aggressive quick/play-fast defense and our 4 DEs are more like our LBs in size and aggressive/quick. Combined with our aggressive/quick DBs these DEs/LBs/DBs just might fit in to a teamwork to make an effective D. I am encouraged with the scheme/personnel and anxious to see how it works.
I agree and from watching games last night a even bigger issue to me is being able to tackle, wrap up, especially at the 2nd level. Tackling seems to be a lost basic fundamental of football even at the pro level. From what I saw of CTR defense last year, we will know how to tackle and swarm. I also think blocking is going to be greatly improved this year. If we can block and tackle we will do well.

Kallon continuous improvement is a big key factor. He and Gotsis have the potential to be terrors.

Miami with Duke J. scares me. Beyond Miami we are as good or better than anyone we face, including the mutts. The Freshman back of Tulane is going to be an interesting test. I am not sure a blow out tomorrow will answer all of the questions but if we see good blocking and tackling techniques it will be an encouragement.

Go Jackets!!! THWG!!!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

yep, you ONLY have depth if they are ALL competent, we know we can sub with a fresh player but is that player competent?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Just gonna have to try to out score everyone. It can be done, it's been done in the past.