USA World Cup

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We just don't have the passing skill (beauty) of other teams. We had two cheap give ups at the end.

But we played very well to come back. The US has never won a World Cup game (20 times) after falling behind.

Simple now, beat Germany we go on.
Tie Germany, we go on.
Lose to Germany, we have goal differential advantage so can advance. We'd have 4 points and that's the best Portugal or Ghana can get.

We go on. {probably}

{Forza Italia!}

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Disappointed in the last minute but I still have to admit, that was a pretty ridiculous cross by Ronaldo. :wideyed:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think I'd rather be in the 1H side of the bracket. The current path would be Algeria (32), France (21), Colombia (4), Germany (2). The 2H path would be Belgium (5), Argentina (3), Netherlands (8), Germany (2). Original seeding in parenthesis, assuming current standings remain, which they won't and that the higher seed wins each game prior to playing the USA.

1H would have a 8-team bracket of:
Brazil (11)
Columbia (4)
France (21)
Chile (12)
Italy/Uraguay (9/6)
Nigeria (33)
Algeria (32)

2H would have an 8-team bracket of:

Mexico (24)
Netherlands (8)
Costa Rica (31)
Argentina (3)
Belgium (5)
Ivory Coast (17)
Equador (22)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, 1H would be marginally better overall, but especially for the first game. Those rankings don't reflect who is playing better right now and who is injured. Belgium seems very tough right now.

I just want to see the US get out of this group. I don't think we have the talent to advance too much further, especially with Jozy and <100% (maybe 70%?). But who knows, there is a lot of luck involved (assuming a base amount of skill) so anything can happen.

Tomorrow is a big day for me with Italy playing; I have to get something done and will probably come home and watch the game ....... and hope not to hear the results. Which will mean staying away from here :D

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but Belgium, Argentina and the Netherlands are all playing well. So are France and Colombia. Either way, I wouldn't want to face Germany a second time if we beat them on Thursday. Now, if we lose on Thursday, I'd be okay with meeting them again. I think it's really hard to beat the same team twice within a couple of weeks.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, but Belgium, Argentina and the Netherlands are all playing well. So are France and Colombia. Either way, I wouldn't want to face Germany a second time if we beat them on Thursday. Now, if we lose on Thursday, I'd be okay with meeting them again. I think it's really hard to beat the same team twice within a couple of weeks.
I would like to face Germany a second time.

That would be the final. :D

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First the happy - a psych video: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-usa-soccer-fans-hyped-for-world-cup-showdown

Next the reality in the USA/Germany game. We are 1 in 9 underdogs to win. About 1 in 2 to tie. http://www.skybet.com/football/world-cup

Overall, Germany is like 1 in 4 to win it all. They have a real good team (despite the tie against Ghana). I'm going to a bar tomorrow to watch the game with some friends. All I want is to see us play to win and play well. The rest will take care of itself.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oops, looks like we play at 3:30 on Tuesday. Then the next game would be 5 July.

Belgium will be favored. They are 20/1 to win it all, we are 80/1. But Belgium isn't ranked as high as Portugal was.

Getting Jozy back (if we do) would be really big.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm really looking forward to watching the Dutch play. Their goal is generally to play beautifully as the first priority and let the winning follow. That concept of play is why I have long been a fan of the Brazil/ Italy / Argentina style of play. They are just so artful in the midfield and creative in the end game of passing to score. The game is about the process and what is created and not just the end score. Yes it's important to win; but even better to win beautifully.