USA World Cup

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2-1 over Ghana. I turned it on only to watch Ghana tie it up.

Then a corner kick header by substitute Brooks to win.

Not elegant, but a win over a team we haven't been able to beat.

We needed this win with Portugal and Germany coming up. But we got the three points.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Germany was comfortably controlling the game before Pepe had his moment of madness. Portugal just announced 2 other starters are out versus USA due to injury. Portugal still has the best player (depending on your opinion) on the planet right now in Cristiano Ronaldo so they're still dangerous especially considering we probably lost our best pure striker in Jozy.

I can see us beating Portugal as Klinnsman's teams usually get stronger and better in tournament situations. Michael Bradley (IMHO our best player) played his worst game for the national team since 2010 and we still won. Lots of our guys didn't play their best and somehow we pulled out a win.

On another note, if you're a soccer fan, gotta LOVE how big the game is becoming. Every bar in my area was PACKED with USA fans yesterday. Nothing like the World Cup in the sports world.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gotta root for Ghana over Germany. Ghana plays a more beautiful game while the Germans are stronger. Right now 2-2. That's right, 4 whole goals in one game at 71'.

Since the US beat Ghana we'd have the tiebreaker over Ghana? But that wouldn't be as good as Germany winning and being in with Ghana eliminated. Then when we played Germany, they wouldn't need the win to advance.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tie, US advances with win over Portugal or Germany. Tie tomorrow would probably make the Germany game the tie breaker game. Germany has to beat the US to advance is what they are saying .....

The Ghanaians were really good looking in their play. I still wish they had won .......

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I timed out as I was laying it out, but I'll try again.

We win tomorrow and we are in. If we win tomorrow, the only way Germany misses is if the combination of score differential between Germany's loss in the USA-Germany game and Ghana's win in the Ghana-Portugal game exceeds 5. Right now, Germany is +4 and Ghana is -1. Germany's sitting pretty good right now.

If Portugal wins tomorrow and against Ghana, then we have to beat Germany to move on. If we tie, we're in pretty good shape, with a +2 differential advantage and win against Ghana or a +5 differential against Portugal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we win today, Germany and USA will have an "understanding" going into the game. Trust me....both teams will want to get out healthy into the knockout round, and that will give Germany 5 point and the best Ghana can do is 4 points.

Not to mention, Klinnsman and the Germany staff are close. Look for the most boring game with Germany if USA wins today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GOAL!!!! Germaine Jones. 1-1

Nice in a way to see us have to play the whole game. We came in with the line up and strategy to play for a tie. So what happens when you play to tie? You lose. We went down in the first few minutes and have been attacking ever since.

We have outplayed Portugal. Now to finish the game and not play for a tie!!!

Last edited: