US Open picks after round 2

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who do you like? If forced to pick one, I figure Jon Rahm is going to win one sooner rather than later. Heard an announcer, can't remember if it was on TV or Sirius radio, discuss the possibilty of a Bryson vs Brooks matchup in the last group Sunday. That would be great to see!!! Although it would be equivalent imo to a Uga - ND football game where you want both to lose. Koepka is great (and barring injury will win several more majors) but I lost some respect for him with his comments about DJ and others a few years back.

For all you Lefty fans (I'm one too) here is some free internet research so you won't have to waste 15 seconds of your life looking it up like I did - Phil is 7 back. The largest comebacks in US Open history after 36 holes - 11 strokes (Lou Graham, 1975), 8 strokes (Tom Kite, 1992) and 7 strokes (Larry Nelson,1983).

Here's a fantasy scenario for us "mature" crowd - Phil and 48 year old Richard Bland in the last group, with Phil completing his slam in a playoff after they both shoot 66 on Sunday.

TL,DR - I got Rahm.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Who do you like? If forced to pick one, I figure Jon Rahm is going to win one sooner rather than later. Heard an announcer, can't remember if it was on TV or Sirius radio, discuss the possibilty of a Bryson vs Brooks matchup in the last group Sunday. That would be great to see!!! Although it would be equivalent imo to a Uga - ND football game where you want both to lose. Koepka is great (and barring injury will win several more majors) but I lost some respect for him with his comments about DJ and others a few years back.

For all you Lefty fans (I'm one too) here is some free internet research so you won't have to waste 15 seconds of your life looking it up like I did - Phil is 7 back. The largest comebacks in US Open history after 36 holes - 11 strokes (Lou Graham, 1975), 8 strokes (Tom Kite, 1992) and 7 strokes (Larry Nelson,1983).

Here's a fantasy scenario for us "mature" crowd - Phil and 48 year old Richard Bland in the last group, with Phil completing his slam in a playoff after they both shoot 66 on Sunday.

TL,DR - I got Rahm.
Louis didn’t strike the ball particularly well yesterday but he was able to hang in there and still post E to stay at -4. I like his chances. He’s won a major before and knows what it takes to get it done. His swing is so consistent it makes sense for a course like this where most of the holes are basically the same thing.

I also like Morikawa, he looked so locked in yesterday and he simalrly has the same consistencies as Louis. He’s also won the PGA champ last year on the same types of greens and putting isn’t his forte so I’m sure he feels right at home on the course. He just has a lot more work to do than others.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

TL,DR - I got Rahm.
I'll go with Schauffele or Thomas.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All good choices imo. Golf is returning to its former "golden era" imo. When I grew up, there was Arnie, Jack, Trevino, Watson, Player, Miller, Floyd, Casper, North, Irwin,etc. In other words, in a major there were always 10-15 guys who had the mental grit and game to win majors. Golf got away from that for awhile when paydays increased and guys got content to make $$$. Tiger feasted in that time (and some would argue that he was the cause rather than the effect but I don't buy it although I certainly don't dispute his place as being worthy of discussion for GOAT).

Nowadays, a major has got Spieth, Rory, Phil, Brooks, DJ, JT, Rahm, Bryson, Bubba, Matsuyama, etc. along with up and comers Rahm, Morikawa, and others. In a major nowadays, there are many on the leaderboard that you would not be surprised if they held the trophy on Sunday. I think that will revive interest in the wake of Tiger's absence from the game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last day and an excellent leaderboard!!!! Good choices above. Given the quality of the leaderboard, I would say anyone above -1 doesn't have much of a chance. Today's Father's Day schedule - US Open all day, bone in ribeyes with grilled corn on the cobb and salad tonight, gin and tonics applied liberally through the day. I love major golf Sundays - outside of GT FB, I consider these 4 events the sporting highlights of the year.

Anyone want to revise their picks above based on a hunch or gut feel? I must admit that Hendley, despite his collegiate affiliation, stood up pretty well yesterday. I just believe someone near the top will go 4 under today and he won't be able to make enough birdies to stay in the lead.

LibertyTurns

Banned
**** the mutt. I hope he chokes like the other mutt bastard last week. Watson bogeyed 10 holes yesterday ****ing the bed in spectacular fashion. Hope he bogeys 11 today.

I other news I was checking Fedex rankings and Hadley moved up to 111. Hope he makes the cut For the playoffs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
^ I appreciate that @LibertyTurns. It was somewhat luck of course but yet, this guy was due to win one and I think we all knew that. Wasn't quite the epic showdown I hoped for as people faltered on the back nine but it was drama for sure. It was a great father's day with good steaks, good cocktails, a few small but meaningful gifts and a major Sunday. Life is good! At least for the moment. :)