Upon Further Review

Animal02

Banned
You're right, but this type of O is our bread-and-butter. The players on the scout team were specifically recruited because their skills mesh with this system. We should have had an advantage in preparing for this Offense because our scout guys should be bigger and faster, thus slowing down the game for our D when playing Wofford. It didn't look that way to me.

My hunch is they only spent the week before the game prepping.....just like every other team does against us. :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My hunch is that our D focused more on base D than shutdown Wofford and played a lit of personnel for the sake of getting them reps more than holding Wof scoreless. Hopefully it will pay off.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
33, I watched an ESPN show with ex coaches they explained the whole terminology of #techs. They said 0tech is heads up on the center (nose). Then they said each group of 3 numbers aligned with each OL out from center. For example 1tech, 2 tech and 3tech aligned with the guard, 4tech, 5tech and 6tech aligned with the tackle and 7tech, 8tech and 9tech aligned with the TE. Each was a little different based on inside shoulder - straight up - or outside shoulder alignment.

C........G.......T.......TE

By this explanation, a 5tech is heads up on the tackle.

yeah actually that is an odd explanation; i would say rare. But what do I know.

a 6 tech is straight up on the TE....i found a diagram of exactly how we called our D...there is nothing called a 8tech

OLDLTech_crop_exact.png

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yeah actually that is an odd explanation; i would say rare. But what do I know.

a 6 tech is straight up on the TE....i found a diagram of exactly how we called our D...there is nothing called a 8tech

View attachment 355
Thanks, so the key things to remember is even numbers are heads up on the OL, odd numbers are on the outside shoulder and even number i's are on the inside shoulder? What if the nose plays on the outside shoulder of the center? Also, it looks like there's never an alignment that's in the middle the gap?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, so the key things to remember is even numbers are heads up on the OL, odd numbers are on the outside shoulder and even number i's are on the inside shoulder? What if the nose plays on the outside shoulder of the center? Also, it looks like there's never an alignment that's in the middle the gap?

then he is in 2i. If the nose is straight up on center he is two gapping, not aligned in a gap. You have to consider the defensive scheme with alignment. If you are in a 4-3 you rarely run a 0 tech. You are in 2i and 3 tech for your 2 DT's. 2i, or shade inside of the guard is a Agap control. Its basically lining up in the A gap in a 4-3.

As an example. in a 4-3 a 3 tech DT has one responsibility (if not stunting) and one only. And that is to control the B gap. Usually on the strong or TE side of the formation. So here it is like the 2i with the A-Gap but on the B-Gap.

Now a 3-4 0Tech has both A gap responsibilities, hence the head up alignment. He doesn't shade a 2i really ever, or if he does then the MLB is playing a 20tech.

A 3-4 3tech also has B-Gap responsibility on the strong side, but next to him is a OLB filling the C gap. A 5tech in a 3-4 has both B and C gap control.

A 4-3 base has a 3tech, 2i, a 5tech and 7tech. The 2i and the 5 usually on the weak side and the 3 and 7 or 6 on the strong but it depends on the LB alignment.

Simply put there are more gaps than DL, and how the DL is gap assigned is not in a vacuum....what is the O formation and what is the LB fit?

4-3 single gap is like I said above. Typically in our scheme, one DT owns one Bgap. The other has the opposite side A gap. An end is responsible outside of tackle shoulder or 6 split with a TE (cgap) the other end may be in a 4 or 5 on the side of the 2i gapper looking at either the c or b gap depending on the OLB. The MLB has the other A-gap that the 2i isn't covering. The 3tech has the B and the DE has the C with the other OLB owning the TE and Dgap.

So weak to strong the assignment looks like this in a run fit. This can change of course with stunts and fun stuff like zone blitzes etc etc. But this is a classic run fit vs 21 or 11 personnel. Run keys read the gaurd to the FB or RB
OLB - C (but he is off the line)
DE - B but can go to C depending on OLB rotation (this is his run key)
DT - A
MLB - Strong A
DT - B
DE - C
OLB - TE/D

the strong OLB is usually playing a 70tech (on the line) due to the TE.

Another reason you don't see a pure A-Gap alignment in a 4-3 is because that is MLB assignment...the center gets him and he gets the center....unless the 2i is crossing the face of the center or the center is doubling the 2i DT with the guard...something Wofford did to green alot! This leaves the MLB open for the opposite A-gap usually then assigned by the slanting OT or releasing guard, something wofford did nicely.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How does a 5tech control the B gap, the T has leverage?

he can align in a 4tech (reread the paragraph before the "breakdown" above...depends on OLB); but that DE is still called a 5tech DE...if that makes sense. So a 3tech DT in our scheme is Gotsis. But he can align in a 2i or 2 or even 4i depending on the D called. I am giving you the BASE D call. If the 5tech DE has the C gap then the Will will run key the B gap, provided that the DT right there is still in a 2i.

If the 5tech DE lines up in a 4, then he will own the B and the Will run keys outside tackle. Here you will see the will split a tad wider....You see this a ton...its part of the base scheme. You see it alot if WR are empty to the weakside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
he can align in a 4tech (reread the paragraph before the "breakdown" above...depends on OLB); but that DE is still called a 5tech DE...if that makes sense. So a 3tech DT in our scheme is Gotsis. But he can align in a 2i or 2 or even 4i depending on the D called. I am giving you the BASE D call. If the 5tech DE has the C gap then the Will will run key the B gap, provided that the DT right there is still in a 2i.

If the 5tech DE lines up in a 4, then he will own the B and the Will run keys outside tackle. Here you will see the will split a tad wider....You see this a ton...its part of the base scheme. You see it alot if WR are empty to the weakside.
OK, I didn't understand each player had a "base" tech that flipped around depending on call.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Cheese take a look at the picture on the first page. The D is aligned with the strongside to the right, or Gotsis side. I know that because gotsis is the 3tech and that DE is in a 5i or 6 split. Now in this form the MLB has the agap to the strong side (where they blew the hole...he got swallowed by the weakside tackle when green took the double team like he should. Green is in the 2i, and his DE is in a 5tech classic weakside alignment. Look at that WLB. He is right over B-gap. So here the presnap look is the WDE has C, and the WLB has b. Now, post snap that WDE could cross face and take B and the WLB motion out to C...for sure...but this is a presnap alignment we are talking.

I also know the topside is the strong side of the D because that is where the S is walking down; and the "slb" or in this case bandit is flashed out to cover the slotback since he would be the "TE" in this formation

The backend is classic presnap man free. CB's jam, one single safety high in the middle of the field. This can also be the presnap look for 3deep. The difference being just before snap the CB's will bail off the jam about 8 yards from the WR and create 3 backend zones from 10+yards on. They will also bail with the butts facing the boundaries and eyes on the QB. This is how you know if the D moved to 3 deep.

You can also do this same backend presnap look like on this picture, walk the safety down a tad, slide the other S to the middle of the field for a man free look with the CB jamming......Then just before snap role the middle s to one side, back up the other safety to the other, and drop the CB 5 yards for a 2 deep zone or leave the CB to jam and play 2deep. Or you can do the SAME safety action, but drop the CB 10+ yards and play quarters.

Or on the boundary, jam the WR. Roll the free S in the middle to the boundary....on the field side the jamming CB fakes the jam drops 10 yards has deep and the bandit flashes to the flats for the under. Man free zone under.

Point is all of this comes from the EXACT SAME presnap look!!!!! Its how you confuse QBs...

Last edited:

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
You have already alluded to this, but just to point it for those who may have missed it, there is not is universal numbering system for numbering the defensive techniques.

For example, some system don't use 2i and 4i. Those alignments still exist, obviously, but they have different numbers. The 3-tech seems to almost always be the outside shoulder of the guard. The other techniques seem more prone to being assigned different numbers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You have already alluded to this, but just to point it for those who may have missed it, there is not is universal numbering system for numbering the defensive techniques.

For example, some system don't use 2i and 4i. Those alignments still exist, obviously, but they have different numbers. The 3-tech seems to almost always be the outside shoulder of the guard. The other techniques seem more prone to being assigned different numbers.

for the most part they share 80% of the names, but yes numberings can vary. I just posted what we used. For instance a 3tech, 0tech and 5tech for the most part are always the same. Wide 9 too.

Some systems have the 6 tech wider than the 7tech if you can picture that...like u said there are variations

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The D line play is what frightens me the most...

thought the DB's did a good job in coverage most of the day. It'll be interesting to see them against some "higher level" competition.
Agree. I really don't want to go down the road we went down a few years ago where the offense had to score every time they had the ball because the defense imitated a piece of Swiss cheese.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I really don't want to go down the road we went down a few years ago where the offense had to score every time they had the ball because the defense imitated a piece of Swiss cheese.
I think (hope) the D will look a lot better this week. I also think our O will perform better in the early going and that will take a lot of pressure off the D.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So would say a qb has to be better at presnap reads or post snap reads?

I just think they are so different. It also depends on the O. A guy like peyton manning who checks every play and his O relies on him to do that and get in the right play HAS to be good at the presnap read. HAS TOO, otherwise he may check to a run vs pass or misread a blitz and mis his line protection calls etc. This require tireless film work

but if you get a presnap read wrong...u better be good at post snap recognition or reaction. So for me i would rather a guy nail it post snap every time because at the end of the day THAT is what matters. How well you read or think you know what the defense is going to do is great, and it helps you and your team, but at the end of the day what matters is that throw you make or pitch you make and to me that still is post snap read. Unfortunately, this won't happen, because a presnap read helps your post snap execution....

What the presnap does is give you 80% confidence vs 50%. or something like that. They are both important. Really if you presnap read is bad chances are your post snap execution will suffer. They are equally important.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

I think against the big 4, that is where we are. We are going to have to score on every possession or games are going get ugly fast.

Animal02

Banned
I think against the big 4, that is where we are. We are going to have to score on every possession or games are going get ugly fast.

Was not impressed with Miami against Louisville last night. I think both that game and Vt will be competitive and close. Clemson and UGA.......who knows.....we play them late in the season, had we played UM late in the season last year, that would have been a W.