Upgraded Seats

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
With all the tickets these days being electronic should we have a system where you can be upgraded?

Due to the fact that attendance has been and will be low if we don’t start playing well, should there be a system that moves you closer around halftime? Let’s say the tickets in the club level aren’t being used….you receive an update (let’s say halftime) where you can move to one of those seats.

It would benefit us to move people closer to the action and get them more involved in the game. Our home field advantage is/will be toast and potentially can cost us a game. We have to think outside the box to at least try to keep that advantage.

We all remember the days when Bobby Dodd us rocking…we HAVE TO GET BACK THERE!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
With all the tickets these days being electronic should we have a system where you can be upgraded?

Due to the fact that attendance has been and will be low if we don’t start playing well, should there be a system that moves you closer around halftime? Let’s say the tickets in the club level aren’t being used….you receive an update (let’s say halftime) where you can move to one of those seats.

It would benefit us to move people closer to the action and get them more involved in the game. Our home field advantage is/will be toast and potentially can cost us a game. We have to think outside the box to at least try to keep that advantage.

Coach said BDS was rocking during the BC game though…

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
And we trust him why?

Maybe pay an extra $5-10 bucks if/when you get the option. I know I would take advantage of a better seat given the opportunity.

GTBlaze

Banned

We can’t even tackle a cupcake running back.. how on the world do you think we could do something sophisticated like this?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We can’t even tackle a cupcake running back.. how on the world do you think we could do something sophisticated like this?

What does that have to do with anything? There is almost certainly no overlap between the groups of people trying to make tackles and the groups of people that would be handling seat upgrades.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a similar system a few years ago. It allowed seat upgrades, but I believe it was based on actual seat availability instead of seats that had not been filled.

I do see some issues with implementing a system that makes the seats available to others after a time limit. Suppose you have a long time season ticket holder who has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to the athletic department and has seats in the club section. If he lives on the west coast, flies to the games, and his flight arrives in Atlanta late, such a system might reallocate his seat just before he is able to arrive at the stadium. You could have someone who donates a lot of money and paid almost $1,200 for his seat supplanted for someone who purchased a $145 Stinger seat and has never donated to the athletic department. If this happened several times in a season it would be possible for the athletic department to lose millions in potential future donations.

Also, in the club area I think it is often the case that the empty seats are not because people haven't scanned in but because they are inside the club during the game. I think that is the case often for early September games.

I am concerned that there will be many premium seats available next year. I don't know what the athletic department will forecast before offering season ticket renewals, but if you want to get in the club area full time it might be a good year for availability. I also don't see how they will be able to raise prices next year, and the seats (including premium) might even be a little less expensive next year. Maybe the level of discontent will subside before the renewal process, but if it does not there will be much more for the GTAA to be concerned about than whether the club seats "look" full.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s a joke dude. Lighten up

If you have to explain it as such, it's not funny. Everytime someone starts a topic that is worthy of discussion, we don't need or want anymore pithy one liners. We get it. And have. I am not saying this as a moderator but as a long time user of this site... as your post (and the thousands of others like it) aren't against site rules but add little or nothing of value towards solving problems. I (for one) was intrigued by the OP. It was original and creative annd was focused on making things better for GT fans. Posts of these nature are getting rarer and rarer and don't need polluting with the mindless drivel that constitutes the majority of what is typed nowadays on this site.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to rip up the bleachers actually install stadium seating with cup holders at least on the lower levels (though i'd honestly jsut do the entire stadiium) This would probably reduce capacity to aroudn 42000 BUT it would be a premium experience, at the same time I'd allow clubticket holders an easy way to give their ticket to students that are interested to populate the area behind the opposing bench if they aren't going to make the game. This would go a long towards fixing perceptions. When we have 40k in a stadium that holds 42 it feels almost full when the stadium hodls 55k and the camera angle most of the game is watched from shows the game looking on the emptier stands it feels like no one is there.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to rip up the bleachers actually install stadium seating with cup holders at least on the lower levels (though i'd honestly jsut do the entire stadiium) This would probably reduce capacity to aroudn 42000 BUT it would be a premium experience, at the same time I'd allow clubticket holders an easy way to give their ticket to students that are interested to populate the area behind the opposing bench if they aren't going to make the game. This would go a long towards fixing perceptions. When we have 40k in a stadium that holds 42 it feels almost full when the stadium hodls 55k and the camera angle most of the game is watched from shows the game looking on the emptier stands it feels like no one is there.
That's a brilliant idea...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

They sent a survey out to STHs last year floating a myriad of ideas for upgrading the stadium experience, including more premium style seats. The issue was even the most minor of upgrades would almost double the ticket prices. If you can't get people to watch GT football at the stadium now, asking twice the price to watch it, albeit in a nicer seat, is probably not gonna fly.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
They sent a survey out to STHs last year floating a myriad of ideas for upgrading the stadium experience, including more premium style seats. The issue was even the most minor of upgrades would almost double the ticket prices. If you can't get people to watch GT football at the stadium now, asking twice the price to watch it, albeit in a nicer seat, is probably not gonna fly.

Thats why you need to do it with a prefunding to keep the ticket cost down. Raise the money then do the upgrade. OR eat it and offset it some other way we have to do something this would pay dividends as soon as we host some concerts.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
To the OP, I get where you are coming from, but I don’t like the mid-game upgrade idea. I appreciate people seating in the seats they paid for. I can’t stand having to tell someone to move out of my seat, and I can’t stand people getting all huffy about other paying customers giving them side eye when everyone knows they aren’t sitting in the seats they paid for.

What I would like to see is to completely overhaul the priority points system to put the most loyal fans (the ones that actually show up) at the front of the line for the best seats of their choice. I don’t care how many decades you (not meaning you specifically to the OP, just you in the generic person sense) have been buying season tickets, if you don’t actually come to the games, just make a donation to GTAA instead.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
On behalf of the "bigger ended" folks, most stadium seat are way, way too small. I prefer bleachers because it causes me to stand the whole game. Why sit on bleachers to watch a game when I can be at home watching while in my recliner? Also, Tech fans are quiet enough on metal benches, you think plush seating will IMPROVE our loudness?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
On behalf of the "bigger ended" folks, most stadium seat are way, way too small. I prefer bleachers because it causes me to stand the whole game. Why sit on bleachers to watch a game when I can be at home watching while in my recliner? Also, Tech fans are quiet enough on metal benches, you think plush seating will IMPROVE our loudness?

Wouldn't be plush seating and as someone on the bigger side the seat sizes at mercedez benz seem to be fine. I mean i've sat in plane seats smaller wher emy shoulder hangs out into the damn aisle lol.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I always liked this idea but just don't see them doing it.