UPDATED TO 3.5 M! AD Email - GEORGIA TECH LAUNCHES COMPETITIVE DRIVE INITIATIVE

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, the day Collins was fired I contributed $250 to the AD Unrestricted fund that afternoon. I just checked A-T and they recharacterized that money to Athletic Scholarship Fund and gave me twice the points. So Batt obviously threw his unrestricted money into this.

I will contribute more this year. I think getting to $2.5M should be achievable which is why they set it at that amount. Achieving goals is important. Who knows, blow though the $2.5M level and it may go up.

I'm in.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There's plenty of opinions on here, but early last year I was called & ended up giving more because so many turned their backs on the program and they desperately needed the money. If I had turned my back on the program like a large number of others, my donations in FY22 would have been zero, now I would have been rewarded for basically withdrawing support.

Maybe if they would have gone back 2 years, I'd be a fan of this. Just glad I came here and realized there was "fine print" on what constituted a new donation for 2023. No where in the headline info communication was there any warning & I'd have been doubly pissed expecting one thing and getting another. It's kinda typical GT treatment of loyal supporters. Batt's probably not used to the GT shaft yet & will need to learn on the job that he needs to be mindful of the legacy he inherited.

It's too bad, was real excited when I read the email as I was going to move my 2023 donation up to now. There's really no incentive to do it now unfortunately.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, the day Collins was fired I contributed $250 to the AD Unrestricted fund that afternoon. I just checked A-T and they recharacterized that money to Athletic Scholarship Fund and gave me twice the points. So Batt obviously threw his unrestricted money into this.

I will contribute more this year. I think getting to $2.5M should be achievable which is why they set it at that amount. Achieving goals is important. Who knows, blow though the $2.5M level and it may go up.

I'm in.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get $2.5 million by the end of November. This shouldn't be hard.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm in! It took me a day of negotiating with the boss, but I was able to get approval to make an additional gift to support this effort and get some bonus AT points :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I'm in.
I usually put my donations in the scholarship fund. In early October I made a contribution that made the 2023 donations at least $50 more than my 2022 donations. They are still listed with a point factor of 2, which all of my athletic scholarship fund donations are at. (except for when they did the 3 point factor for the COVID year)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I'm in.
Been doubling down for a while but will increase again.
i will gtaa fedx the check to the prez office for forwarding.

i will include a letter to express my appreciation for him being a risk taker and taking the state of gt football as a personal issue. .

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
After thinking on this for a few days there is one part that I wish had been done better. If the school is going to match the donations to the GTAA, why not send details on that program to the entire alumni association mailing list instead of just the GTAA donors?

The number of donors to the school dwarfs the donors to the GTAA. If we were able to engage that group then we might be on to something. But there is still a reluctance to do so.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
After thinking on this for a few days there is one part that I wish had been done better. If the school is going to match the donations to the GTAA, why not send details on that program to the entire alumni association mailing list instead of just the GTAA donors?

The number of donors to the school dwarfs the donors to the GTAA. If we were able to engage that group then we might be on to something. But there is still a reluctance to do so.
You may have misunderstood the announcement. It went to everyone, and is posted on ramblinwreck.com. In fact, one of the objectives of this initiative is exactly aligned with what you suggested — get non-contiributing supporters to give SOMETHING now in hopes they continue going forward.

Early response has been encouraging. Commitments after the first few days were about 30% of the goal!

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I just donated $100 and found my company also matches (1:1), so that's a spec of sand towards the goal. I assume that means my $100 becomes $300 via my company and GT foundation matching?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I just donated $100 and found my company also matches (1:1), so that's a spec of sand towards the goal. I assume that means my $100 becomes $300 via my company and GT foundation matching?
I think it becomes $400...you're company match makes it $200 and then the GT Foundation match doubles that to $400! I would confirm that by looking at my AT Fund report, but I get an internal server error when I try to access it right now. (Does anyone else have that issue?)

So if you'd been able to donate $125 it would have become $500 and you'd be an "Alexander" level AT Fund donor! :)

Thanks for pitching in...every bit helps for darn sure!

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You may have misunderstood the announcement. It went to everyone, and is posted on ramblinwreck.com. In fact, one of the objectives of this initiative is exactly aligned with what you suggested — get non-contiributing supporters to give SOMETHING now in hopes they continue going forward.

Early response has been encouraging. Commitments after the first few days were about 30% of the goal!
Define “everyone”

I have always received comms from both athletics and roll call. I only got comms about this from athletics.

I’ve also confirmed that friends of mine that receive Roll Call communications but not GTAA conns did not receive any notification of this program.

So basically it went to the same “everyone” that GTAA comms have in the past.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Define “everyone”

I have always received comms from both athletics and roll call. I only got comms about this from athletics.

I’ve also confirmed that friends of mine that receive Roll Call communications but not GTAA conns did not receive any notification of this program.

So basically it went to the same “everyone” that GTAA comms have in the past.

If correct, this is one of the biggest problems not fixed. The damn Alumni Assn are all about themselves and don't want to share the lists with the Athletic Assn since it will decrease the amount the Alumni Assn brings in. At least that is what one of the Alumni Assn people told us. Wish I could redo some of my past Alumni Assn contributions before I was aware of this.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
If correct, this is one of the biggest problems not fixed. The damn Alumni Assn are all about themselves and don't want to share the lists with the Athletic Assn since it will decrease the amount the Alumni Assn brings in. At least that is what one of the Alumni Assn people told us. Wish I could redo some of my past Alumni Assn contributions before I was aware of this.
I quit giving to them when I learned this...why on earth would I care about the Alumni Assn if they aren't All-In to help GT win?