UPDATED TO 3.5 M! AD Email - GEORGIA TECH LAUNCHES COMPETITIVE DRIVE INITIATIVE

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
J Batt has been on the job for 3 days and has already created a very very smart and engaging fundraising program. From my understanding, it’s being used as a “feeler” by starting a small amount asked for in donation totals. If the fundraising initiative is successful then larger goal amounts will follow.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I’ve also heard, that it’s being discussed to remove around 8,000-10,000 seats this off season from the current seating bowl. I don’t know if those areas will be repurposed but it’s a on going discussion right now within the GTAA.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sweet! Time to get out the checkbook.

Uh-oh...I just read the fine print. Looks like this is being specifically targeted to draw in new donors:

That's not a bad thing, per se...but for those of us who already gave in the previous giving year, it will be necessary to "up the ante" in order to earn the match.
Yeah! I just made a donation a few weeks back and now I would have to make an even larger donation for it to qualify for this matching.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sweet! Time to get out the checkbook.

Uh-oh...I just read the fine print. Looks like this is being specifically targeted to draw in new donors:

That's not a bad thing, per se...but for those of us who already gave in the previous giving year, it will be necessary to "up the ante" in order to earn the match.

This reads like an attempt to specifically target those who haven't been giving or have maybe stopped giving recently, and get them in the practice of it. I would guess if someone does it once, they are more likely to repeat the next year and we're trying to get that first time in. Seems to fit with the short time frame and the, relatively, low goal.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah! I just made a donation a few weeks back and now I would have to make an even larger donation for it to qualify for this matching.

Depends on when you donated. The FAQ section says that donations for the 2023 Giving Year will be matched. This assumes that it is a new donation above what you gave in the 2022 Giving Year.

1666885165059.png

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is great. But one question/concern. Did I read it right that this initiative only lasts about eight weeks? Is that normal? Just seems like odd timing because the holidays are when people are most strapped for cash. For the less financially stable and/or younger crowd, there’s only four paychecks between the start and end of this initiative, and people are saving up to travel/buy gifts. Just wish they gave folks more time to save up/figure out how to donate - if I was still a young alumni, I’d find it hard to set aside any kind of significant cash over the holidays to donate.
Per the Eligibility link:
New gifts or commitments to the 2023 Giving Year must be received by December 31, 2022 to be eligible to receive Accelerate GT match credit. A commitment constitutes a pledge for the 2023 Giving Year only, and paid by June 30, 2023.
That seems to say pretty clearly that you only have to commit to the donation now, and have a further six months beyond the deadline for your actual donation.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I would've touted this as something the fanbase will be excited about. I've given money every year since 1998 and have seen the on field product get worse over time in both football and basketball. Now I'm supposed to get all giddy because I can give more? Maybe I'm just a cynic, but this is the farthest thing from "exciting" he could've announced.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I would've touted this as something the fanbase will be excited about. I've given money every year since 1998 and have seen the on field product get worse over time in both football and basketball. Now I'm supposed to get all giddy because I can give more? Maybe I'm just a cynic, but this is the farthest thing from "exciting" he could've announced.
He’s been here for 3 days. This is the first time the foundation has gotten involved with funding athletics, that’s why it’s a big deal.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Depends on when you donated. The FAQ section says that donations for the 2023 Giving Year will be matched. This assumes that it is a new donation above what you gave in the 2022 Giving Year.

View attachment 13407
I missed that. Thank you. So, my gift two weeks ago does not qualify because it is the same as the previous year, but any money that I now give would count towards the initiative,

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This will more than likely get us through the current academic year so we don't go in the hole. But sure go ahead and see a negative on this guy's day 4 of being in charge.
Hyper sensitive, are we? I merely asked a question. I did not attack the guy.

Also, it is a little funny that a few fonts joked that the big announcement would be a new campaign asking for more money and that is exactly what it turned out to be. I certainly did not think it would be that, but I am even more surprised it is for such a small amount.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
This is great. But one question/concern. Did I read it right that this initiative only lasts about eight weeks? Is that normal? Just seems like odd timing because the holidays are when people are most strapped for cash. For the less financially stable and/or younger crowd, there’s only four paychecks between the start and end of this initiative, and people are saving up to travel/buy gifts. Just wish they gave folks more time to save up/figure out how to donate - if I was still a young alumni, I’d find it hard to set aside any kind of significant cash over the holidays to donate.
Lines up with the tax year. Most people donate in that time period when tax planning.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Hyper sensitive, are we? I merely asked a question. I did not attack the guy.

Also, it is a little funny that a few fonts joked that the big announcement would be a new campaign asking for more money and that is exactly what it turned out to be. I certainly did not think it would be that, but I am even more surprised it is for such a small amount.

You eat an elephant 1 bite at a time. If we get all athletic scholarships paid for, BEFORE we have to dip into reserves or hope for extra cash to magically appear, we can then spend more towards the product on the field. The last 3 years in college football have had multiple decades worth of change. It is a whole new ball game.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
A successful fund raising initiative that targets new donors should be something the fan base would be excited about. I want to think that those of us so consumed by our addiction to GT football that we check in on message boards every day are already donating. I give this news a solid Iceeater Attaboy.

And let’s give the Noles hell this weekend.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This thing should last more than 8 weeks. I'm not going to give again until next calendar year, as I just made my donation and had my work match it last month. Bad timing.
You can make a commitment now (or through the end of the year) and it will qualify for the match as long as the money is paid by end of June, 2023.