#2 in rushing attempts per game
#5 in yards per rush
#20 in scoring offense
#29 in total offense
#90 in Red Zone Offense
#127 in passing offense

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Red Zone offense is a bit surprising, and also a bit disappointing. Overall though, very impressive numbers. I hope the defense can continue to figure out ways to get negative plays and turnovers, and improve on 3rd down a bit. I have faith that Woody is a good coordinator and will make us better over time on D.

Deleted member 2897

Red Zone offense is a bit surprising, and also a bit disappointing. Overall though, very impressive numbers. I hope the defense can continue to figure out ways to get negative plays and turnovers, and improve on 3rd down a bit. I have faith that Woody is a good coordinator and will make us better over time on D.

Didn’t we have 4 or 5 drives against just North Carolina where we either fumbled in the red zone or went forward on fourth down and didn’t make it, or just kicked a field goal at the end of the game?

Are red zones stats were actually really good just recently I thought.

Deleted member 2897

We are still on pace to have the single most rushing yards of any of CPJs teams. And that includes 1 ACC Championship, 3 Coastal Championships, and 2 Orange Bowl teams.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
GTech should strive to lead the nation in:

Rushing yards
Yards Per Rush
Yards Per Completion

Do that and you've got yourself a fine option offense.

They need to attempt 3-4 more deep balls per game right now.

Deleted member 2897

All those teams had more passing yards that likely took away from rushing yards.

Fake News.

Seriously, I bet total offensive yards per game was only higher in like 1-2 years max. We’re averaging just under 100 yards per game passing this year which isn’t horrible.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d focus first on...
Points per game
Yards per play
I'm probably wrong, but wouldn't points per drive be a more accurate meausre of our offensive efficiency/success than points per play?

It seems points per play would reward teams like Alabama, Clemson, etc that regularly score in 4-5 plays? Whereas, although a drive might take GT 7-10 plays to score because we want to control the clock, it's just as successful as the 4-5 play drive?

I'm just curious.

Nevermind, I just saw you said YARDS, not POINTS. Maybe I'll finally learn to read one of these days.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I'm probably wrong, but wouldn't points per drive be a more accurate meausre of our offensive efficiency/success than points per play?

It seems points per play would reward teams like Alabama, Clemson, etc that regularly score in 4-5 plays? Whereas, although a drive might take GT 7-10 plays to score because we want to control the clock, it's just as successful as the 4-5 play drive?

I'm just curious.

Nevermind, I just saw you said YARDS, not POINTS. Maybe I'll finally learn to read one of these days.
Points per drive is really what determines our success. On both sides of the ball.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Opponent yards per rush attempt rankings for the next 3 games: 31, 67, 55 (FBS only)

The UGa ranking is higher than I would have thought.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Opponent yards per rush attempt rankings for the next 3 games: 31, 67, 55 (FBS only)

The UGa ranking is higher than I would have thought.

We can run on Uga.

We will have to play near perfect on O, though, to pull out the W.

slugboy

Staff member

I'm just curious.

Watching Army coming back against Oklahoma, Points per Play is really nice. Army took nine and eleven minutes to score while Oklahoma scored quickly. When it got to overtime, it looked like Oklahoma was going to win, and they did.
There’s something powerful about a team that can undo all your work in less than two minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
GTech should strive to lead the nation in:

Rushing yards
Yards Per Rush
Yards Per Completion

Do that and you've got yourself a fine option offense.

They need to attempt 3-4 more deep balls per game right now.
I'd like to add:
Points per drive

I'd personally remove:
Total rushing yards

We typically aren't as great in it, but I also think increasing points per play would also be good.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I'm just curious.

We want *both* to be high. Points per drive is great, but if it takes you 13 plays to score, that opens you up to more things going wrong (bad penalty, great play by the defense). If you are consistently scoring in 4-6 plays, you have less chance of things going wrong.

You also don't want high PPP with lower PPD because then it means you have too much variance in your drives (you may go 4 drives without scoring and putting defense in a bad spot). Considering how one holding penalty or false start could kill a drive, I'd prefer we score every 6-8 plays.

Also quick edit, lower PPP indicates you may struggle to score fast when you really need to. Death marches are great, but sometimes a quick score (like our play action td this weekend) is great to break the will of a team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Points per drive is most important imo.

Yards per play is a pretty darn good indicator.

Per game stats are really broad brush.

With that being said, our per game stats are going to continue to improve as our D gets stops and gives us the ball more.