Upcharge?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I believe it’s simply because nearly all (i.e., 99.5%) of the former college football players—now TV college football “analysts”— never played in CPJ’s spread option offense. So they don’t understand it to the level desired.

Except, of course, Roddy Jones. He’s the exceptional 0.5%.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
It simply might have been a called predetermined give to the B-back. If so, CPJ made the right chess move.

It sure looked to me like the interior defensive tackle was unblocked -- if so, that makes it a midline. Hansen our right guard totally ignored the defensive tackle and went to the second level.

And when we run midline, we win.

/

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll need to watch it again, but it sure looked to me like the interior defensive tackle was unblocked -- if so, that makes it a midline.

And when we run midline, we win.

/
I think it was a called midline but TM pretty much knew it would be a give from the get go. That would have been a great question in the post game presser had any of the press had half an inkling about option football.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I have not rewatched, but I think the read keys were changing up who they were taking (qb/bb) and that caused TQM to keep some. I think the goal of the hard charge on the midline is to make contact during the mesh to cause disruption. Miami had the speed to do that. Usually, a hard charging read key is easy to read, but if you get accustomed to the read key taking the BB on a charge and he suddenly takes the qb, it can mess with your head a little. When we did it right we hit a good gain with the bb. The key to defeating the upcharge is for the BB to fire off the snap like crazy so the read key has to declare quick and the qb can make the read without someone tackling him.

I expect UGA will play us pretty similarly.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Seems to me that the commentary about the duh u was considerably more that the commentary Tech received. But hey that's just my opinion (y)
I've also noticed a tendency on the ACC Network highlights that one team (not named GT) seems to have more coverage than the other team (named GT), even when the other team (named GT) wins the game. But I could be looking for bias.:oops:

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
I believe it’s simply because nearly all (i.e., 99.5%) of the former college football players—now TV college football “analysts”— never played in CPJ’s spread option offense. So they don’t understand it to the level desired.

Except, of course, Roddy Jones. He’s the exceptional 0.5%.
Roddy was the sideline analyst on the Navy game this weekend I believe. Wish he could get more of our games so my ears wouldn’t bleed as much.

As for the bias last night, they had built all these graphics about the losing streak and all in hopes they could use that all night to un-jinx da U.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I've also noticed a tendency on the ACC Network highlights that one team (not named GT) seems to have more coverage than the other team (named GT), even when the other team (named GT) wins the game. But I could be looking for bias.:oops:
I feel that way sometimes too but I think it's because their coverage of GT is always the exact same "PRIMER COURSE OF THE TRIPLE OPTION!" instead of any sort of "this player did this!" narrative other teams get.

GT is just a rinse and repeat for every game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo
The dt was un blocked and went for qb to make a big play. It was a called give.

They played disciplined for most of game.

We can all agree.
Their speed to edge was tough for our guards.
And
Great preparation for uga.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I got pretty tired of the announcers continually saying that Miami was beating themselves with self inflicted wounds etc, how about a little credit to the guys who inflicted those wounds? We punched them in the mouth and TOOK that game, they sure as hell didn’t just give it away. I almost lost my mind during the punt return fumble when they wouldn’t stop talking to Calvin Johnson and just ignored this huge play, no replay of it and no talk about what was going on. Overall one of the worst broadcasts i’ve suffered through in a while, give me raycom over that biased garbage please lol.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I got pretty tired of the announcers continually saying that Miami was beating themselves with self inflicted wounds etc, how about a little credit to the guys who inflicted those wounds? We punched them in the mouth and TOOK that game, they sure as hell didn’t just give it away. I almost lost my mind during the punt return fumble when they wouldn’t stop talking to Calvin Johnson and just ignored this huge play, no replay of it and no talk about what was going on. Overall one of the worst broadcasts i’ve suffered through in a while, give me raycom over that biased garbage please lol.
GT and the option offense is hated by those sports announcers:rolleyes:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo
The dt was un blocked and went for qb to make a big play. It was a called give.

They played disciplined for most of game.

We can all agree.
Their speed to edge was tough for our guards.
And
Great preparation for uga.
I was wrong on it a called give.
It was an unblocked DT -9.
Here is a picture of the previous critical run for first down.
Right guard went w center and rt was very slow off ball as was 22. 9 was un touched and had a clear shot at getting both the bb and the qb but tried to blow up the bb . Qb pulled the give and 22 got the outside lb. On last first down same thing happened and qb gave the ball to the bb.

20181113_124927.jpg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why 9 was not touched but he blew it.

The Duke guys were not bull rushing to make a hit like 9 was doing. They seemed to be stopping about 1 yard behind line and trying to get a piece of the bb and the qb. Ibeballin or Flea where are u?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was wrong on it a called give.
It was an unblocked DT -9.
Here is a picture of the previous critical run for first down.
Right guard went w center and rt was very slow off ball as was 22. 9 was un touched and had a clear shot at getting both the bb and the qb but tried to blow up the bb . Qb pulled the give and 22 got the outside lb. On last first down same thing happened and qb gave the ball to the bb.

View attachment 4489
Holy smokes what is 63 doing with his hand still on the ground :eek:

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
TM missed almost all the reads where Miami upcharged (or whatever anyone wants to call it). It why we threw the pass to Brad Stewart. TM missed the read during an upcharge on the play before it. Thank goodness passing against Miami worked for us. It saved us from a few stalled drives from missed reads.

TM DID make the read correctly when we absolutely needed it. 3rd and long, he read it correctly with an upcharge and Jerry got us a first down by quite a bit. Phwew, what a nail-biter of a game for me.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just back from a cruise and have not reviewed the game...

But, TO is as good as TQM in reading when looking at in game data only. But, footwork and cleaner pitches go to TQM.

Mesh charges should be weak to the speed option? or load/power option? or even a bback toss? .... or gamble the give over a keep on mesh charges. If you are wrong on the give you make 2 to 3 yards depending on other blocking. If you are wrong on the keep you lose 3 yards. I think you should be thinking give and I think TQM is thinking should I keep in general.

I think CPJ feels that the Miami game would not be won with brute force given thier LB. Speed and luck were more important than power/force/consistency. Plus TQM had 2 TDs and TO was stopped on the QB sweep playing into his thoughts on speed over force. I would have liked to seen TO play a few more snaps, but I like the outcome of the game better!