Untitled

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
With the season now at an end, I just wanted to take a minute to talk about the things that I personally believe should make us all very optimistic about the future of our football program. I realize there are many things we could cherry pick on both sides to be positive or negative about. But, this is my opinion on just a few that we can be extremely excited about moving forward.

• RECRUITING
Below are the recruiting class final rankings of Paul Johnson and his staff from 2008-2018. And the shared class of 2019 between him and CGC.

Rivals
2008 49th
2009 49th
2010 43rd
2011 41st
2012 57th
2013 84th
2014 47th
2015 39th
2016 67th
2017 41st
2018 53rd
2019 43rd

247 / Scout

2008 51st
2009 41st
2010 43rd
2011 43rd
2012 53rd
2013 70th
2014 54th
2015 44th
2016 60th
2017 48th
2018 44th
2019 51st

CGC polished off the 2019 Class and brought in the only 4 star recruit in Jamious Griffin. His final recruiting surge in the 2019 class helped bump it up a bit in the rankings.

CGC transfers recruited in:

4 Star Antonneous Clayton
4 Star Myles Sims
4 Star Marquez Ezzard
4 Star Derrik Allen
3 Star Jared Southers
3 Star Tyler Davis

Per rivals, in 11 recruiting classes CPJ and his staff were able to accumulate 20 four star recruits. (Not sure on transfers.) But that is 20 total four stars recruits in just under 12 seasons....

If you include transfers CGC and his staff are sitting at 8 four star recruits so far in less than 12 months. Also, as we know GT is currently rated in the top 25 by both services in recruiting. The last time we cracked the Top 25 in recruiting was 2007.

Rivals
2007 18th (Recruiting Coordinator Geoff Collins)

247/Scout
2007 15th (Recruiting Coordinator Geoff Collins)

• RECORD
At 3-9 we can all agree we wanted better this season but we all probably expected something close to this. As we all know the last time we won a national championship was 1990 under head Coach Bobby Ross. But it was not an easy road to get there as he went 2-9 in his first season (1987), 3-8 in his second season (1988), and started to turn the corner at 7-4 in his third season (1989) before winning the NC at 11-0-1 (1990). However, we cannot wait for the CGC record to turn before we support his vision and pack the stadium like we should as loyal fans of GT.
  • BRAND
About 10 years ago I had a close friend (also a die hard GT fan) ask me what I thought was our biggest obstacle in regards to football. I believe he expected me to say recruiting, coaching, scheme, etc... I told him in my opinion it was our Brand. The way we marketed ourselves had to change. To include PR, Colors, Uniforms, Venue Upgrades, Style, Flare, Etc... I believe with CGC on board it is easy to see we are absolutely headed in the right direction with this. And for me personally it is what I have always hoped for and envisioned with Brand. I am truly grateful and excited. The 404 Culture, Above The Line, Competition is King just to name a few is exciting to me because it gets the buzz going for the fans and the players. Positive energy is essential moving forward.
  • COACHING
I know CGC and his staff have caught a ton of flack in this area. But considering the personnel and atmosphere that was turned over from CPJ to CGC in my personal opinion he has done an amazing job. All coaches have strengths and weaknesses. The approach from CGC and his staff have taken with variation and not forcing a certain style on the player is refreshing. The variation is what really gets me excited. Teams do not know what to expect specifically from week to week as with the old flexbone days. The variation in formations and play calling is essential to becoming a next level team on the gridiron. Another aspect of coaching that has me excited is the buy-in factor. CGC really has his players on board with his vision as well as the recruits he is bringing in.

All in all I am very excited about the future for GT football and feel that we all should be very thankful for the direction CGC is moving and support his vision with optimism.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Today's culture is all about what have you done for me right friggin now. People don't want to remember the days when it used to take coaches 4-5 years to change things around to the way they wanted things done. I'm willing to wait it out and let the coaches do their thing. Of course, I don't have John Dewberry's bank account either.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
If you’re gonna compare the recruiting to the last 10 years then compare the rest of your categories to the last 10 years. Or at least dive into class size, offensive/defensive etc.

Or better yet, CPJ is gone and it’s the CGC show now. If y’all would stop trying to compare them we could all have some fun on here cheering for Tech again.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we did not blow the door down in recruiting during the CPJ tenure (understatement). I think CGC has already shown without a doubt he will do better, but here are some thoughts that could be considered negative, since I do have a very cautionary optimism currently.

• The difference between being in the 20's for recruiting classes and being in the top 5-10 has NEVER been larger - haves vs. have-nots is HUGE - This is why, if we want to beat the UGAGS and Clem's Son's of the world with a very common offense, we will have to have superior coaching - I hope we do.
  • GT has always had difficulty recruiting highly touted big nasties out of high school (I realize we have Clayton transfer) - it appears that so far, that has not changed, but I realize it is very, very difficult given the limited numbers - when we break this barrier under CGC with a couple of highly touted high school (DT) guys, then I will get very, very excited. I am not 100% sure that Jones is one of those guys, because if he was, sa(t)an would want him on the DL
  • If all we want to do is beat Duke consistently (and "compete" for the coastal), I do believe that the bump in recruiting by CGC will get us there - but, Cutcliffe is a very, very good HC

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If you’re gonna compare the recruiting to the last 10 years then compare the rest of your categories to the last 10 years. Or at least dive into class size, offensive/defensive etc.

Or better yet, CPJ is gone and it’s the CGC show now. If y’all would stop trying to compare them we could all have some fun on here cheering for Tech again.
The way I've always phrased it is that this will be (in all likelihood) only the second time in the Rivals/247 era that GT has finished with a top 25 class. That isn't meant to put down Gailey or Johnson, but more to emphasize that Collins really is a great recruiter. And they're crushing it on the road right now visiting every conceivable prospect we have. I think it's immensely important to break the narrative that you cannot recruit well to GT, because that trickles down to the recruits themselves. Like CGC has said, he wants to make GT a "destination program" for top recruits, not the comfortable backup school you go to if you don't get offered by Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

It’s a GT comparison from year to year not a coach to coach comparison. Why take offense to something not intended to be offensive. It’s just numbers.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with most of what you posted except this. Yates was a 4* QB per Rivals recruited by CPJ.

Of course, CGC helped close the deal on that.

I think we often forget he was 4* cause he got a huge bump around this time last year, super late in the game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the question at this point is whether our talent will improve. I have confidence in CGC to do that. I think the real question is whether we have a coaching staff that can take that upgraded talent and win 8-10 games consistently with it. That part I'm still skeptical about. Its a coaching staff that in my opinion underperformed this year and doesn't have much experience in general at this level. They are still a bit of an unknown. We are never going to get so much talent that we just out talent our opponents.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the question at this point is whether our talent will improve. I have confidence in CGC to do that. I think the real question is whether we have a coaching staff that can take that upgraded talent and win 8-10 games consistently with it. That part I'm still skeptical about. Its a coaching staff that in my opinion underperformed this year and doesn't have much experience in general at this level. They are still a bit of an unknown. We are never going to get so much talent that we just out talent our opponents.
The positive I see from this is that even if this staff fails on coaching at a high enough level to win ten games a year, they’ll leave the program with a more desirable coaching position because of the increased talent. There aren’t many, if any at all, proven coaches that would go to a program to transition from the option. There are big name proven coaches that would come into a program that’s had four or five top 30 recruiting classes and just couldn’t coach them to win. Assuming CGC will continue to recruit at this current level his entire tenure.

For me, the ranking is not what I like about this recruiting class. Gibbs is a great get but we are not exactly hurting at that spot as Mason is only a Soph. What I like, 12 DLs and OLs, and 7 OLs. We are filling up what looks to be some promising guys for the trenches.....as that is where football is won and lost. 1 more class with a few big DT's and we may have something.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
The way I've always phrased it is that this will be (in all likelihood) only the second time in the Rivals/247 era that GT has finished with a top 25 class. That isn't meant to put down Gailey or Johnson, but more to emphasize that Collins really is a great recruiter. And they're crushing it on the road right now visiting every conceivable prospect we have. I think it's immensely important to break the narrative that you cannot recruit well to GT, because that trickles down to the recruits themselves. Like CGC has said, he wants to make GT a "destination program" for top recruits, not the comfortable backup school you go to if you don't get offered by Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson.

It is vital that we show that we can attract/recruit great talent under CGC. If we cannot recruit to get us to a higher level, and the previous scheme (which I think was really well coached) didn't get us there then I believe we are doomed to be mediocre. We need to ALL be rooting for CGC to succeed if we want to compete for the Coastal or better.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The positive I see from this is that even if this staff fails on coaching at a high enough level to win ten games a year, they’ll leave the program with a more desirable coaching position because of the increased talent. There aren’t many, if any at all, proven coaches that would go to a program to transition from the option. There are big name proven coaches that would come into a program that’s had four or five top 30 recruiting classes and just couldn’t coach them to win. Assuming CGC will continue to recruit at this current level his entire tenure.
I think the desirable coaching position point is suspect as long as we are not willing to pay a big name salary. Top 30 recruiting classes and a salary barely in the top 50 to me isn't that enticing. We are always going to be taking risks in coaching hires. I can only base optimism about what we have now and I personally need to see something on the field before I can get there.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told by some “smart” people on here the recruiting class is the same as its always been. Were only ranked high bc we have way more then everyone else. It doesnt matter if we have the #1547 player in the nation thats 3 star or the #350 player in the nation thats 3 star, bc 3 star is a 3 star! Lmao

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I was told by some “smart” people on here the recruiting class is the same as its always been. Were only ranked high bc we have way more then everyone else. It doesnt matter if we have the #1547 player in the nation thats 3 star or the #350 player in the nation thats 3 star, bc 3 star is a 3 star! Lmao

Well 4/5 months ago that was correct. People were circle-jerking about having the #11 class when we had twice as many commits as everybody else. I think at this point it’s safe to say this is the best class we’ve had (assuming no net loss before NSD) since the last time CGC was here. It’s still pretty close to the 2010 class in terms of top end talent, but has a lot of quality depth. Which is encouraging.

And as mentioned above, now we see if this will equate to more wins. There’s examples of consistent Top 25/30 recruiting programs succeeding and then there’s examples of consistent Top 10 recruiting programs falling on their face (Tennessee).

CGC has made some gaffes this year in game. But he’s also still pretty new to the HC circle. I’m a lot more sold on Thacker than I am Patenaude. Key has confirmed a lot of street cred for me too watching a patchwork OL hold up decently towards the end of the season. Think there’s reason for hope without blind optimism.