Unsung heroics Saturday

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny thing was when he came to the sidelines - Coach Johnson didn't know if he should chew him out or give him high five, Coach was at a lost for words.

CPJ might have been torn between two worlds after that play, but I did enough swearing for the both of us. The not-so-profane summary is "CATCH THE DAMN KICKOFF; IT'S A LIVE BALL, DUDE!"

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
On the 4 and 15 the Oline, Days, ZL came up big time protecting JT and giving him time to throw. If he would have been rushed I don't know if we complete the pass. I think the Oline is improving in pass pro. We still let guys sometime a free rush, but doesn't seem like it was as bad as in the past.

GoodBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe, but when he had to get out of the end zone, everyone else was standing still and he had the jets on. I'd like to see that one again because it shows sprinters acceleration. Just need to see it a bunch more!

I rewatched it again. Right about the point where he hit the 5 yard line, his burst of speed was pretty amazing! I'd love to see that speed on a pitch!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know, I am pretty sure you can down the ball in the EZ after touching it in the field of play so long as the natural momentum of the ball was what took it into the EZ. He could have taken a knee and all would have been fine. Orwin got in trouble because he broken the plane coming out before changing his mind and putting his knee down.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
You know, I am pretty sure you can down the ball in the EZ after touching it in the field of play so long as the natural momentum of the ball was what took it into the EZ. He could have taken a knee and all would have been fine. Orwin got in trouble because he broken the plane coming out before changing his mind and putting his knee down.
I dont believe so Boom. If that ball touched him and he tried to down it... it would have been a safety. Also if God forbid, he didnt pick it up... it would have been a TD if VT fell on it in the endzone. Thats my understanding of it though. Could be wrong.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
As I have been saying for awhile...I would like him off kickoff returns. Oh well...He made a good play.

Good thread Vamos.
He doesnt read the field well, but man is he fast. It looks like he is taking 5 yards per stride,his speed is dangerous against opposing teams and if a lane were to open in front of him he's gone. A reverse would probably be a nice play to try with him on a kickoff, have golden to get the defense to collapse to on side a have Snoddy go back the other way with the ball. They wouldn't have a chance. JMO

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont believe so Boom. If that ball touched him and he tried to down it... it would have been a safety. Also if God forbid, he didnt pick it up... it would have been a TD if VT fell on it in the endzone. Thats my understanding of it though. Could be wrong.

It would have been a touchback. If the impetus of the kick (regardless if it is muffed) results in the ball going into the end zone and is recovered by the receiving team it is a touchback.

Play 2: R1, on his five yardline, touches (muffs) a kickoff as it bounds past him. The ball bounces into team R’s end zone, where (c) prone R2 recovers after the ball hits the ground in the end zone or before it can hit the ground in the end zone. Ruling 2:'For NCAA, it’s a touchback when prone R2 recovers.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It would have been a touchback. If the impetus of the kick (regardless if it is muffed) results in the ball going into the end zone and is recovered by the receiving team it is a touchback.

Play 2: R1, on his five yardline, touches (muffs) a kickoff as it bounds past him. The ball bounces into team R’s end zone, where (c) prone R2 recovers after the ball hits the ground in the end zone or before it can hit the ground in the end zone. Ruling 2:'For NCAA, it’s a touchback when prone R2 recovers.
Does R2 mean a different player than R1? If so, does that change the call?

slugboy

Staff member

You know, it's better not giving the refs anything to think about.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
On the 4 and 15 the Oline, Days, ZL came up big time protecting JT and giving him time to throw. If he would have been rushed I don't know if we complete the pass. I think the Oline is improving in pass pro. We still let guys sometime a free rush, but doesn't seem like it was as bad as in the past.
On that play everyone stayed home and protected except DS.. We literally had one reciever run a route. I wouldn't credit the O-Line with that one. They still look poorly coached to me.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
On that play everyone stayed home and protected except DS.. We literally had one reciever run a route. I wouldn't credit the O-Line with that one. They still look poorly coached to me.
I just watch the replay it was a 3 man route. DS was the short side WR and it was TZ and another WR that was not in the view of the camera on the wide side.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
This is a thread for folks to post things that stood out to them that helped win the game Saturday for the rest of us who might not have noticed. I have three in mind.

1.) DJ White pulled a brilliant and classic bait-and-switch on that VT QB on the last interception. The defense had given up that short out route all game long and the VT QB had been taking it all game long. You know that QB wanted to make the longer throw, but we were always playing it conservative and giving them the short one. Then the stakes were raised on the last drive and the VT QB wanted to make a bigger play down the field to make the game winning drive. And, DJ baited him right into it. He sat on the flat route like he was determined to finally stop that short route, and then the instant he saw the QB go into his windup, he took off in a backpedal toward the corner route, and it was a can of corn at that point. I marveled at that play. I am still wondering if that was all DJ's jedi-mind-game or if somehow he was coached to do it. Either way, that was crazy-brilliant. I'll never forget that play.

2.) Chris Milton's block of the field goal. HUGE play ... not only to the final score but to the momentum and psyche of each team. It looked like we had just handed them the game right at the start of the 2nd half with the pitch-fumble turnover in our own redzone. For them to come away from that with no points was amazing by the defense and then by Milton with the block. All effort and pure speed. Some guys just have a knack for blocking kicks ... he's got it. I'd like to see them send him after some punts too. I had been sort of down on Milton in my head for some of his defensive play and then he does that AND makes another huge tackle for loss on a bubble screen on a key drive late. He's got some weaknesses but he can make some plays too.

3.) Zack Laskey and the OL established the dive. That was a major factor in the game - much bigger than the stat line would show. The OL was driving folks off the ball and making the dive a productive play and gave it a chance to even break a few longer ones. It didn't quite break the really long one, but it showed that it was a major possibility. That changes how a defense plays and helped JT to do his thing with other plays - on the edge, play action, pass blocking, etc. Establishing that dive helps everything. I loved seeing that.
Check out the OL drive blocking on the first play of the game. Every one of our 3 options could've gone for big yardage on that play. That VT defense knew it was in for something tough that day.

I go with; the fg block......for a long while we would have folded after this morale wise but the block gave us life and we did well after that.I think the OC for VT got kind of greedy and we did a number on him...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Ha! Yep, I noticed that. On TV, it looked like Snoddy came to the sidelines and got congratulations from teammates, but it looked like CPJ didn't know what to say, so he didn't do anything, just went on to calling in the next play.
One rule that we had coaching in the seventies in HS was if the football on a punt was inside the ten you let it alone.Snoddy by all rules should have not done what he did but..............he did so well............it was funny watching PJ figure out what had happened.

Declinometer

Banned
Wrong

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Correct, touchback. A muff (touching but not possessing) does not affect a kickoff after it travels 10 yards. It is important to understand the difference between a muff and possession. It is also important to understand whether the momentum of the ball causes it to go into the end zone, with or without muff (touchback) or whether a receiving player gains possession and carries it into the end zone (safety). It is also important to recognize that rules for punt receiving and kickoff receiving are quite different.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Correct, touchback. A muff (touching but not possessing) does not affect a kickoff after it travels 10 yards. It is important to understand the difference between a muff and possession. It is also important to understand whether the momentum of the ball causes it to go into the end zone, with or without muff (touchback) or whether a receiving player gains possession and carries it into the end zone (safety). It is also important to recognize that rules for punt receiving and kickoff receiving are quite different.
Thanks guys.......shows you how long i have looked at a rule book.............in my day a Muff was something you put on your ears.