Unofficial Practice 9 Notes - Very Short on info...

Zenon has been the breakout player in camp so far...putting himself in a good position

Days, Hill, Zenon and Bostic are the top 4 IMO.

That is not a bad foursome. We have camp plus three warm up games to sort this out. We have always used and needed multiple A-backs, and these four provide a good mix of skills and speed. Andrews has time to get back into the good graces with the staff. Even if no one breaks out of the pack, we are not in bad shape. And if someone does break out, all the better.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
The A-Backs are never a real concern for me. Seems like somebody always steps up in that position every year. Offensively, I'm more concerned about the OL than any other group. If the QB decision making improves from last year and the OL is at least average, I think we'll be pretty stout on offense.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
That is not a bad foursome. We have camp plus three warm up games to sort this out. We have always used and needed multiple A-backs, and these four provide a good mix of skills and speed. Andrews has time to get back into the good graces with the staff. Even if no one breaks out of the pack, we are not in bad shape. And if someone does break out, all the better.

Two other names I would like to see making an impact are Perkins and Snoddy. I especially don't understand why Perkins cannot crack the two deep there, is he hurt again(stiil) or just not making plays?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Two other names I would like to see making an impact are Perkins and Snoddy. I especially don't understand why Perkins cannot crack the two deep there, is he hurt again(stiil) or just not making plays?

I'd think Perkins will be in the rotation but I just don't think he's got the durability to play a ton of plays. Regarding Snoddy, I'm starting to think he's a track star playing football and not a football player that runs track...if you catch my drift...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Zenon has always shown flashes of big play potential. He actually reminds me of Godhigh in the sense that he can change directions on a dime and has great short space quickness...but faster than Godhigh. Remember that play against MTSU where he lined up at BB and took a long pass to the house?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is the year that Zenon shows up at every aspect of the game. He's always been a good receiver and a decent runner. What's held him back, like Bostic, has been his blocking. Which has, in general, sucked. If he can get that to average, then I have no doubt that he could be a force for us this year. I like the idea of having a big AB (Days, Hill) teamed with a smaller one (Zenon, Bostic, or – please, Jesus – Andrews).

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Zenon has always shown flashes of big play potential. He actually reminds me of Godhigh in the sense that he can change directions on a dime and has great short space quickness...but faster than Godhigh. Remember that play against MTSU where he lined up at BB and took a long pass to the house?

I was at that game. First play from scrimmage. Didn't he also run the length of the field against PC to make a TD saving tackle after a turnover? He kinda disappeared after that, probably because Godhigh was ahead of him. Glad to see that he's breaking out.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He played a good bit early 2011, and had some good runs, then disappeared. Some on the boards said he had a slight injury and other mentioned he was in the dog house at the time... just forum board rumors though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was at that game. First play from scrimmage. Didn't he also run the length of the field against PC to make a TD saving tackle after a turnover? He kinda disappeared after that, probably because Godhigh was ahead of him. Glad to see that he's breaking out.
PC tackle was Milton. Zenon was slowed by an injury and missed Spring practice last year, putting him deep in the playing time line in 2013.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have a good looking group of receiving A backs to go with a pretty solid group of receivers. It's good to have that kind of supporting cast for a first year starter.

At the same time I'm not going to get too excited about our passing game because we have a lot of new faces on the OL and we have a first year starter at QB. Protection is key for a first year starter so on paper this does not bode well. Also the main knock on Laskey has been that he doesn't block/protect well so that's another unproven aspect protecting JT.

Hopefully what will happen is we'll get back to basics on offense with a lot of success such that the play action game will really be set up well. Hopefully we won't have to ask JT to sit back there and go through a ton of progressions. That said there are always good defenses you come up against who will shut down anyone's run game and at some point we'll need to be able to protect and throw in obvious passing downs.

One good thing with JT is you do have a guy who is super mobile and can burn you with his legs if you just pin back your ears. That should help out the OL a little.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I still think Zenon made a big hustle play after a turnover. Different game I guess.
Tony is a really nice, polite young man, already graduated and in grad school. He has great chemistry with JT (not so with V Lee) and IMO he is likely for a big year, especially in the passing game. He chose to return for his senior year after he graduated and I believe he has a renewed enthusiasm for the game. We saw that in the Spring Game and apparently it has carried over to Fall Camp. I am certainly rooting for him.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Inside, I had forgotten about Laskey's blocking last year on passing plays. It seemed like both him and Sims were often in the key role to give a quarterback a second or two more to throw, and they both often blew it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The A-Backs are never a real concern for me. Seems like somebody always steps up in that position every year. Offensively, I'm more concerned about the OL than any other group. If the QB decision making improves from last year and the OL is at least average, I think we'll be pretty stout on offense.

I agree with A-back. From the standpoint of running with the ball, it's not too tough to catch a 4 yard pitch and run to wide open space...which is how most of our big plays on the edge develop. Blocking is what should really drive that position.

Last year I was really worried about B-back. Sims was pretty solid though...but still, the offense hasn't been as productive since Allen left. Sims stepped up last year, but QB play took a big step back.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offense has been more productive since Allen left....Maybe not on an individual BB point of view. ;)