Unleashing CTR's Defense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
DL: Antonio Simmons seems like the most likely reason for an improved pass rush, the biggest thing we've been missing in recent years and a leading cause for being one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the nation (#126 out of 128). Anree looks like he may be ready to break out as well. If Adams can get in shape (big if), we could see a solid interior, as well.

LB: We lose our top tackler off a corps that wasn't all that great to begin with. Who is gonna step up there? Hope Swilling is the real deal, we're gonna need him.

DB: Looks like we're in good hands with proven vets and some impressive youngsters pushing them.

Who am I forgetting, I know there's somebody that I can't put my finger on who's been looking impressive?

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
DL: Antonio Simmons seems like the most likely reason for an improved pass rush, the biggest thing we've been missing in recent years and a leading cause for being one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the nation (#126 out of 128). Anree looks like he may be ready to break out as well. If Adams can get in shape (big if), we could see a solid interior, as well.

LB: We lose our top tackler off a corps that wasn't all that great to begin with. Who is gonna step up there? Hope Swilling is the real deal, we're gonna need him.

DB: Looks like we're in good hands with proven vets and some impressive youngsters pushing them.

Who am I forgetting, I know there's somebody that I can't put my finger on who's been looking impressive?

Desmond Branch? He really came on strong at the end of the year especially in the bowl game.
If I remember reading an interview bout Brandon Adams was his goal was to be at 335lbs for the season. Said it would help to make him quicker and add longevity to him being in on various downs plus he understood the value at least in words of how it will help his joints and his speed to be lighter.
Brandt Mitchell kinda leveled off last year to me. He made big plays the year before but if he cannot read the RB better or get a better step to the QB then I will be concerned.
DB's have really become the calling card of CTR's D. It has been a constant progression since really the '13 season IMO with a great flash of what could happen with all the ball hawking in '14. If the D line can get pressure those men will step up and make plays.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Branch maybe.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Love the post. We really need to be able to at least stay in our run fits at the point of attack to open things up. Even holding our ground on the line lets blitzers have a shot and otherwise allows LBs to be responsible for less. We have a talented and deep secondary. Freeing them up to be more aggressive on the ball even in zone coverage can be huge. A little bit of pressure and more 3rd and longs will be critical.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am excited to see the progress of the following on the Slime

K. Freeman
A. Saint Amour
D. Branch
B. Adams
K Serge Henderson
B. Glanton
C. Martin
A. Simmons

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Need the LB's to really improve. Less worried about DL/DE than I have been in a while. But the LB's......OMG! Let's hope Swilling is the real deal, but it is beyond the pale to think he can dominate as a true frosh.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Brant Mitchell is going to be a beast.. so the issue is who plays besides him....

Alexander, Jacob B. Cooksey or Swilling..
My guess would be Alexander and swilling battle it out

Deleted member 2897

We have a ton of very talented defenders coming in this class. Don't forget about Jaquan Henderson when you talk of Linebackers. He was the #39th ranked LB in the country.

On Adams, I am pretty sure I heard he had already lost 10-15 pounds. So he's well on his way.

One of the things I liked a lot about the incoming class is that we got a big batch of guys that are more hybrid Linebacker/DB types, which gives us a lot of flexibility on defense.

The other thing that will be interesting to watch isn't necessarily on our side. Other than Duke & Wake Forest, our other 6 ACC opponents will feature brand new Quarterbacks. And many of them will also sport a new Running Back and at least 1 new Wide Receiver. We have a good chance to create some mayhem.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We have a ton of very talented defenders coming in this class. Don't forget about Jaquan Henderson when you talk of Linebackers. He was the #39th ranked LB in the country.

On Adams, I am pretty sure I heard he had already lost 10-15 pounds. So he's well on his way.

One of the things I liked a lot about the incoming class is that we got a big batch of guys that are more hybrid Linebacker/DB types, which gives us a lot of flexibility on defense.

The other thing that will be interesting to watch isn't necessarily on our side. Other than Duke & Wake Forest, our other 6 ACC opponents will feature brand new Quarterbacks. And many of them will also sport a new Running Back and at least 1 new Wide Receiver. We have a good chance to create some mayhem.

I also love the depth our class will bring!!

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Serge-Henderson played great all things considered. He is one of my favorite guys out there on D. Great energy guy, gives it his all. Only a true Junior this year, so still lots of room for improvement.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think we're pretty talented on D. Just have to pin our ears back and get to the QB to free up the LBs and Secondary to make plays on the ball. If we bring 5-6 and get pressure I think we can cover well enough to make plays and get off the field.

Milwaukee

Banned
Hoping to see some exotic blitz packages and not just the vanilla stuff. We had some success on the double blitz through the middle with Griffin but coaches are going to adjust. We ran it repeatedly down the stretch.

Ted shouldn't have to dumb down, or simplify, our defense in order for the players to be able to play fast and turn themselves loose. I wonder if we'll get that narrative again this season.

I think Simmons is in for a MONSTER season.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Hoping to see some exotic blitz packages and not just the vanilla stuff. We had some success on the double blitz through the middle with Griffin but coaches are going to adjust. We ran it repeatedly down the stretch.

Ted shouldn't have to dumb down, or simplify, our defense in order for the players to be able to play fast and turn themselves loose. I wonder if we'll get that narrative again this season.

I think Simmons is in for a MONSTER season.

I agree with you on some different more exotic blitz packages but were you asleep for the first 3-4 games the past several years? CTR's D is a lot to digest and simplifying has been a literal proven winner as a result of him doing that. Prime example was the last quarter of the season last year.
I also agree that Simmons is in for a big year along with Branch.