Unleashing CPJ's Offense

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The big difference from the past three years is the possibility of the midline and QB follow with MJ.

Also, GT will be back to 2014 experienced guards and a big experienced BBack.

We all know, they know, that everyone knows , : ) that you start by stopping the middle or BBack. But what does it take to stop the middle? Are your DT enough? How much support do you need from your MLB? Do you need 8 or 9 in the box or is 7 enough? Where are your defensive players eyes and thoughts? 4 yards, 4 yards, 4 yards, 4 yards... got to reinforce the middle, stay home, cheat to the center... bam outside run for a TD.

I want to be as good as Navy last year on offense. The QB, the BBack, and the guards forced the middle and unwrapped/unleashed the power of CPJs offense.

GT_Dre27

Georgia Tech Fan
Both very valid points guys! Let's not forget the importance of having a big physical threat out at WR to keep the safety(s) from walking down into the box.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All parts are needed and no area is an island... but Navy 2016 was the number one FEI because of the strength of the middle first.

If you need 9 in the box to stop the middle, the WR and AB explode...

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
If you need 9 in the box to stop the run, then guess what happens when you have 2 DB's to cover 2 WR's and 2 AB's on seam routes down the middle?

Unless you're the 2009 Iowa defense, or Bama under Saban, expect some problems. Looking forward to 2017. Although starting 2016 in Dublin was lots of fun too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yep, not worried at all with the offense. The defense is what concerns me. Can we stop the run? Can we get to the quarterback? Can we get off the field on 3rd downs?

Agree.
FWIW, I think our D did very well in our Spring game.

I'm more optimistic than I want to admit.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Until TR is consistently aggressive without CPJ forcing him to be, I won't beleyece that we'll be any good on defense. He makes good halftime adjustments, but we need to be aggressive and get off the field. We have an offense that can hold the ball for a long time but we don't counter that with a defense that gets off the field quickly, which doesn't make any sense to me.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Agree.
FWIW, I think our D did very well in our Spring game.

I'm more optimistic than I want to admit.

I too noticed the def did well in Spring game and then I started worrying about the O-line and if they really are "that good". ---I believe the Def looked decent because they were SO familiar with Off ,the personnel and the habits.I think the DEf is still the much bigger concern going into '17.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, you could say the same thing about the Offense's familiarity with the Defense. I think the most we can say is that the defense performed better against the offense than in years past.

Roof seems to be pulling in better and better talent. Hopefully that begins to show up on the field.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
We have the potential to be explosive on offense. Like others have said, the run threat to the outside will open up things outside. I believe that our AB's will be wide open at times, hopefully we can hit them in stride.

QB: Jordan, Marshall
AB: Lynch (over 30 yards per catch, 11 yards per run), Qua, JJ
BB: Mills, Benson, Quaide
WR: Juene, Stewart

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yep, it is a done deal. Heck, even in 2014 we lost to puke & uwhine&cheese. No big deal.

Everyone knows that a good offense is all that is required. No D necessary.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yep, it is a done deal. Heck, even in 2014 we lost to puke & uwhine&cheese. No big deal.

Everyone knows that a good offense is all that is required. No D necessary.

Care to show where anyone said anything close to that? People were discussing the defense literally 3 posts above this [emoji90]post.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I really like how this season is setting up for us. It has been a LONG time since we regularly relied on, focused on and controlled the middle of the field. ACC defenses have been schooled to guard the edges and corners due to JeT's speed and the Aback delights we had at the perimeter.

With the talent at Aback we still have the edge, but came open the center back up thanks to the QB/BB combos we will have and I am looking forward to hearing the steam whistle followed by chain movement!

Go Jackets!